PDA

View Full Version : Hensley & Gibbs Molds

joed
10-17-2005, 07:59 PM
At the gunshow this weekend I ran across a guy selling many older molds. He had a lot of them that were Ohaus and brands I'd never heard of.

One of the selection was a Hensley & Gibbs .44 LSWC 245 gr IIRC. This was a 10 cavity mold. Very good shape, weighed about 15 lbs but I started thinking about it. He wants $200. I may catch him this next week and get it.

Is it a decent mold?

NVcurmudgeon
10-18-2005, 12:38 AM
I don't know about that specific H&G mould, but it sounds like a Keith type from your description. I have a four cavity H&G 68 that has been a delight for over 35 years. Never heard anybody complain about ANY H&G mould. Ohaus moulds are good, also. They only made them for a short time in the early seventies, then their mould business was taken over by RCBS.

Bret4207
10-18-2005, 07:11 AM
Price is a bit high compared to Ebay, but you'll be able to sell it in 25 years for twice the money. Especially a 10 cav.

FISH4BUGS
10-19-2005, 12:45 PM
One word of caution: casting after a while with one of those monsters will tear up your elbow. Make sure you have some kind of mould guide to help you, even if you have to make it yourself.
I use 2 10 cavity moulds - 9mm 124gr and 380 95 gr, both for shooting in my submachineguns. Output is HUGE. I have done about 1400 in 3 hours of each at best keeping 2 pots ready with ww/lino lead.
BUT at the end of the day, my left elbow was killing me. What started out as a 10 lb mould ended up as a 50 lb mould....or so it seemed.
$200 is a but high in my book. I paid retail $170 for the 9mm and $75 for the 380 (but I stole that one - that doesn't count). However, it IS a 44 mag mould. It might be worth that if it is a gas check and in perfect condition.
You won't see another one for many years. If you want it, buy it. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.