PDA

View Full Version : Ruger only loads

spfd1903
02-21-2016, 07:40 PM
Earlier this year, I had Doug Guy re-throat the cylinder of a .45 Colt Ruger Black Hawk ( 4 5/8 " barrel), and make an 11 degree cut on the forcing cone. I tried some normal pressure loadings for a Lee 452-255- RF, sized to .452". The accuracy definitely improved, but the groups were averaging 2" at 30 feet. Since it was a Black Hawk, I decided to load 200, 255, and 300 grain boolits from data in Western Powders "Ruger only" section. Also had a box of Hornady # 45200, 250 grain HP/XTP's, so I loaded them to the "Ruger only" section of the Hornady ninth edition. Except for the 200 grain boolits, I had five powders to experiment with for each weight. The results were incredible. For each projectile, there were two loads that gave groups where most of the holes were touching, and the "flyers" were less than 1/2" away. I got lucky on the 200 grain boolits. The circle of holes was 1/2" in diameter, for the one powder I had.. All at 30 feet. The velocity in the load data section was between 1150 to 1200 fps for all loads tested. Based on the results, I am going to stick with high velocity loads for this pistol.

PS Paul
02-21-2016, 07:54 PM
You will find, now that you've reamed the throats to the correct size for boolits, that heavy boolits will often give the best results.
as the illustrious Geargnasher always states, "fit is key" and boolits that fill and fit your throats will give terrific results.
i reamed my cylinder throats and the best-shooting boolit mold I've got is a Ranch Dog 300 gr boolit with tumble-lube grooves (Ranch Dog used to offer de-horned GC molds from Lee that were beautiful!) that I run through my usual lubrisizer with results in my avatar at 50 feet offhand!

dadeo316
02-22-2016, 09:54 PM
Earlier this year, I had Doug Guy re-throat the cylinder of a .45 Colt Ruger Black Hawk ( 4 5/8 " barrel), and make an 11 degree cut on the forcing cone. I tried some normal pressure loadings for a Lee 452-255- RF, sized to .452". The accuracy definitely improved, but the groups were averaging 2" at 30 feet. Since it was a Black Hawk, I decided to load 200, 255, and 300 grain boolits from data in Western Powders "Ruger only" section. Also had a box of Hornady # 45200, 250 grain HP/XTP's, so I loaded them to the "Ruger only" section of the Hornady ninth edition. Except for the 200 grain boolits, I had five powders to experiment with for each weight. The results were incredible. For each projectile, there were two loads that gave groups where most of the holes were touching, and the "flyers" were less than 1/2" away. I got lucky on the 200 grain boolits. The circle of holes was 1/2" in diameter, for the one powder I had.. All at 30 feet. The velocity in the load data section was between 1150 to 1200 fps for all loads tested. Based on the results, I am going to stick with high velocity loads for this pistol.
How did the 250gr xtps do? Im working on a hunting load for mine. Ive heard that the 250gr hold up alot better at the higher velocities. I want to shoot some into water jugs to check their expansion.

spfd1903
02-23-2016, 09:34 AM
The powders that yielded a 1/2" group were 2400 and 5744. I had a 6" wet pack of phone books set up for some .380 auto and .32 H&R ammo, so I made a shot with the HP/XTP at 20 feet. It sent the pack flying about 5' back after blasting through it. I loaded up the rest of the box with 2400, and will try another wet pack test with more phone books and a greater offset distance. Interesting load with H110 from the 2016 Hodgdon manual. Ball of fire out the barrel with each shot. It was the low end charge, and no more felt recoil than the other loads.

dadeo316
02-24-2016, 05:34 PM
I shot these today using longshot powder. They are the hornady 250gr xtp. It was a somewhat light +p load. They went through 5 gallon jugs of water.

sixshot
02-24-2016, 06:27 PM
Although there are some exceptions light weight bullets at high speed are usually a disaster on big game from a revolver. Now, you will have to explain light weight bullets & also high speed but handgun bullets don't usually work like rifle bullets.
An exception that comes to mind is the excellent Sierra 170 gr. jacketed slug in the 41 magnum & there are a few others but you don't want a bullet to blow up & not give you penetration & most times you will be shooting from less than an ideal angle in the field. Just something to chew on. Big, heavy bullets, through the vitals, with an exit wound have been working for a long, long time.

Dick

dadeo316
02-24-2016, 11:25 PM
The powders that yielded a 1/2" group were 2400 and 5744. I had a 6" wet pack of phone books set up for some .380 auto and .32 H&R ammo, so I made a shot with the HP/XTP at 20 feet. It sent the pack flying about 5' back after blasting through it. I loaded up the rest of the box with 2400, and will try another wet pack test with more phone books and a greater offset distance. Interesting load with H110 from the 2016 Hodgdon manual. Ball of fire out the barrel with each shot. It was the low end charge, and no more felt recoil than the other loads.
Yeah that h110 is a beast, and kicks like a mule loaded up. I have some 300gr gas check bullets that i cast. I loaded some with h110 and i dont like to shoot them at all! The mild +p load with longshot was very manageable recoil.