PDA

View Full Version : Ruger New Model Blackhawk 44 special

cabezaverde
02-21-2016, 01:55 PM
I have been thinking about one of these and am wondering who has one and what your thoughts are?

Good revolver for cast? Are the throats consistent? Any other feed back?

shoot-n-lead
02-21-2016, 02:00 PM
Great guns...great guns for cast...throats are good...and this, generally, is an overblown concern with Ruger .44's.

Thumbcocker
02-21-2016, 02:47 PM
Got 3 of them. Good shooters love boolits.

Brad Cayton
02-21-2016, 03:58 PM
I have one and it's very accurate with cast which is all I've shot through it. I size boolits .431 and they slide right through all 6 throats in the cylinder.

Thomas Traddles
02-21-2016, 04:35 PM
I have one as well. I've shot 200 gr cast RNFPs, 250 gr cast Keiths, and 246 gr cast RNFPs sized either at .429 or .430. I've used Red Dot, Bullseye, 2400, and Unique powders in the gun and cannot miss with any of them. No leading, either. I did buy a set of after market grips because the black checkered grips had a tendency to scrape the bark off my hands, especially in winter when they are dry and cracked. Interestingly enough, I have a .357 NMBH with the original grips, which I prefer on that gun. They don't bother my hands nearly as much as they did on the .44, even when I am shooting max loads in the .357.

white eagle
02-21-2016, 05:29 PM
Ruger New Model Blackhawk 44 special FlattopI have one of these with a 4.5" barrel
fantastic firearm I am sure even Obama would approve of these
no worries [smilie=w:

Blackwater
02-21-2016, 06:21 PM
I have one just like you mention, and my first tests were awful, but a friend got some keith type bullets over 7.5 gr. Unique and proceeded to shoot less than a 1" group at 21 yds. with it! So yeah, that one does really well!

Also have an Anniversary model .357 but that one has the dreaded constriction just ahead of the forcing cone, and I have yet to fix it. I still love the little gun, though, and wouldn't think of sending it down the road. With Ruger, it seems to depend on how lucky you are on any given day, and sometimes you get lucky, and sometimes you just don't. I have one of each, and a couple more older guns. I actually love them all, though. Great guns. Some just need more attention and tinkering than others. With a little proper ministering, I have yet to see one that couldn't be made to shoot. Had an OM in .45 Colt, but it had the mismatched throats and bore, and I didn't know or understand that at the time, and when nothing I could get would shoot in it, I let it go down the road. Sure wish I had that one back again, but ... that's the story of being a gun nut, I guess?

Dpmsman
02-21-2016, 11:37 PM
I have the Bisley framed flat top and really enjoy shooting and carrying it around the farm. Shoots the Lee 200 RNFP over 5grns of titegroup really well. Brian Pearce has some good articles featuring them.

AnthonyB
02-21-2016, 11:53 PM
I have the Bisley and the regular Flattop, both with 4 3/4 (I think, could be 4 5/8) barrels. Love the regular frame, but the Bisley needs the longer barrel to balance right. Still, neither one is going anywhere.
Tony

Dale53
02-22-2016, 12:03 AM
The Ruger .44 Special Flat Tops are some of the finest revolvers Ruger has produced. I have a blued 5.5" and a stainless 4 5/8" one. They both will shoot under an inch off a rest at 25 yards.

Mine will see nothing but cast bullets. My "standard" field load is the Mihec 250 gr. Keith bullet ahead of 7.5 grs.of Unique. As always, size the cast bullets to the cylinder throats.

Dale53

DougGuy
02-22-2016, 12:15 AM
They really only need corrective action on the throats if your boolits won't slide into the throats from the front. OR if some are tighter than others. If you size to .432" they probably won't pass muster. Sizing to .431" may be good on all 6. It just depends on the cylinder and you won't know until you get it in hand how even they are. Either way it is an easy fix.

shoot-n-lead
02-22-2016, 12:22 AM
I have 3 of them and .431 will bump through the throats on all 3 and all 3 will shoot about as good as anyone that shoots them, can shoot.

Blackwater
02-22-2016, 07:20 AM
To me, the neatest thing about the flat tops is the slightly lighter weight and different wt. distribution, that just plain feels "good" in the hand. I'm not a big fan of the plastic grips and their checkering. A little too small a girth for my hands. I'm wanting to find or make some that fit me a little better, preferably from curly maple. Mine are all 4 5/8" barrels, and they're just enough smaller and lighter to be noticable. The old Colts have always felt "alive" in my hands. It's a wt. distribution factor, mostly I think. The flat tops just feel less "sluggish" in use, and more lively in the hand. It's subtle, but it's there. And nothing in my area really requires a magnum. Everything seems to expire with a good shot from the milder calibers, and +P .38's or .44's shoot flat enough to work for anything I'm likely to be able to do these days. They're really just kind'a the round peg in a round hole for me. I love 'em.

marlin39a
02-22-2016, 09:20 AM
I bought the 5.5" version . Had to go back to Ruger due to the barrel was not set straight. Once back it performed well. I shoot a Lyman 429215GC sized .430 over Hp-38. Accurate and hard hitting. I carry it in a crossdraw holster when out in the back country. Jackrabbits come apart when hit.

shoot-n-lead
02-22-2016, 09:24 AM
To me, the neatest thing about the flat tops is the slightly lighter weight and different wt. distribution, that just plain feels "good" in the hand. I'm not a big fan of the plastic grips and their checkering. A little too small a girth for my hands. I'm wanting to find or make some that fit me a little better, preferably from curly maple. Mine are all 4 5/8" barrels, and they're just enough smaller and lighter to be noticable. The old Colts have always felt "alive" in my hands. It's a wt. distribution factor, mostly I think. The flat tops just feel less "sluggish" in use, and more lively in the hand. It's subtle, but it's there. And nothing in my area really requires a magnum. Everything seems to expire with a good shot from the milder calibers, and +P .38's or .44's shoot flat enough to work for anything I'm likely to be able to do these days. They're really just kind'a the round peg in a round hole for me. I love 'em.

Blackwater...my friend, you have hit on one of the things that I like most about 44 special...capable firepower in a handy package. And, you are speaking to my heart as I like the flattops a lot...but my love is the SAA Colt...or in my case, the clones. They are like the 1911 to me...there is just nothing else that compares to the way they feel and shoot.

ReloaderFred
02-22-2016, 03:00 PM
I have two of them, a 4 5/8" and a 5 1/2", both in blue. They shoot well, but I'm going to buy a couple pair of Altamont Fluer de lis grips for them, since I'm like the others in that the black plastic grips are really uncomfortable to shoot....

Hope this helps.

Fred

rintinglen
02-22-2016, 05:51 PM
Mine is an outstandingly accurate revolver that simply dotes on the "Skeeter Load." It is far and away the most accurate 44 special I have ever owned. I would heartily recommend it to any one seeking a handy hunting back up here in the lower 48, or who would just like one really accurate revolver.

taco650
02-22-2016, 06:27 PM
Would love to get a flattop in 45Colt/45 ACP!

KA0811
02-22-2016, 08:07 PM
I have both a SS and a blued flattop 44. Love them. The SS is my more recent addition I was debating and then looking for one for awhile. Glad I got it! I do think the stainless is fitted better than he blued but that's just my opinion from the ones i hve handled. And one more thing... To those that hve issue with stock grips these are rel easy to restock yourself. I did a post in the special project thread so won't go into it much but I recommend to those thinking about buying some to try making their own first.161662

oscarflytyer
02-23-2016, 12:26 AM
Have two. Both 4 5/8" bbls. One is 44 SPC, other is 45 Colt/45 ACP conv. LOVE THEM! Have yet to find a cast bullet load they won't shoot well. Lee molds, custom molds, commercial cast, etc. For the std accuracy loadings and bullet weights, they just plain work and are very accurate. You can't go wrong!

ironhead7544
02-23-2016, 07:56 AM
Had two. Both .429 bores and .430 throats.