PDA

View Full Version : What is your biggest "helping hand?"

Blackwater
02-21-2016, 12:40 PM
Folks, for a moment here, I'd like to consider and share what it is within us that tends to help us stay on the straight and narrow, and tends to keep us away from "falling off the wagon" in life, with all its many temptations.

For me, I think the biggest sense that helps me fight off temptation is simply recognizing how willful and determined I can be - in other words, humility. Humility is often used interchangably with the word "meek," but being humble in NO way implies being weak. All views of the word "humility" as indicating weakness are due to the attitude of PCness, and NOT from its actual, traditional meaning. We seem to misuse a lot of words today, and sadly, don't recognize the sometimes subtle differences in how we use them and what they really mean. We all too often have "feet'a clay," and settle for some sort of approximation, and generally don't much even LIKE any effort at precision in what we say, and often what we do.

It hasn't always been this way. I think the most often seen evidence of that, for those of us who remember a different day, a differing generalized ethic, and a different set of people, is how people once were legitimately more amenable to accepting and admitting their own faults and shortcomings than people seem to generally be willing to do today. It seems that the "modern" ethic is to insist that we're always right, even sometimes when we're at our most willful state. Maybe ESPECIALLY then?

I still remember my Dad, an old 3-war Marine (China, WWII and Korea), and how he tended to take almost anything very casually, except when he saw someone in need. But he was always trying to be shrewd and discerning when he encountered someone in need. If he thought they really needed a dressing down, or what's been called "reality therapy" recently, that's what he gave them. But AFTER that, when they thought they weren't going to get anything from him, he'd relent and give them a little of what they needed, and let them determine what they did from that point on. He was comfortable letting people make their own way, and their own decisions, and just accepted it as a routine and basic precept in life. He, wisely I think, was content to let others be themselves, and all he really required of them was that they recognize simple Truths, as best as they could, and make some real and dedicated effort to do the best they could. Present him with someone who'd always been pretty diligent, and he'd be as generous as they needed, obviously thinking that he and the family could "make do" somehow, while those in need may not have that reassurance. In other words, he was humble, but not dumb, and he didn't think much of people who'd try to use him for their own game, and could be quite pointed and definitive in dealing with that type. He was a genuinely good man, and I miss him and his kind greatly.

I think those guys who fought in WWII were fairly uniformly like that, generally at least. People do differ in their reactions to war, and how they let it affect them. That's just simple human variability at work. Even so, though, there was once a clearcut and distinct difference in the ethics and morals of the nation, quite generally. And it was an ethic of being humble, but dedicated to whatever seems to be right, as best as we can discern it. Now, the generally operating ethic seems to be "do it if it feels good, and worry about the results later," and the only moral seems to be "eat, drink and be merry (sex, drugs and rock'n roll?) for tomorrow we die."

As Christians, we're supposed to regard the end of our earthly iives as just the beginning of the next life. We all fear the unknown, though, and since none of us CAN know what it's really going to be like, we tend to rationally resist that death, and spend big money and effort in trying to delay it. That too is, or at least can be, rational and in line with Christ's will. If we want to live so we can have more and additional opportunities to serve Christ, then it's a good thing. If all we want is to delay "the inevitable end," then I think we're thinking wrong-headedly. But many do, it seems.

We "moderns" tend to regard things very much on a surface level, and in an "operative" manner, and don't really seem inclined to go below the surface much or often. Thus, we deny ourselves a greater and more complete understanding of what it is we think, do or feel. This is sad, because it diminishes our ability to appreciate the real value that all of life has for us. Even material things can be appreciated more fully and righteously with an appropriate regard for what it took to creat them, and all the Gifts from God that went into them. This in turn, diminishes the actual sense of reverence for the little, daily things in our life.

Ever been afield and hungry, wet, cold and dejected? Remember how great a simple cup of coffee was when you got one? It's like the Heavens open up and pour its blessings down upon you! This clearly shows how undiscerning we usually are, doesn't it? The coffee is no better nor worse than it's always been. Only our ATTITUDE toward it has changed! And that in turn demonstrates how crucial our simple attitudes are in determining whether and how much joy there is in our lives, and how much we recognize and appreciate the real source of all these potential joys.

Humility, I think, is the greatest indicator of whether and how much a person truly is a Christian, and I mean that in the sense of not just a believer, but a dedicated (though always imperfect) follower of the advice and counsel left us by the Son of God, who came down to earth and suffered in our stead in payment of all our sins. How could we NOT be humble in that realization? Ever had a higher up in your work organization take a rap for you? It's rare and getting rarer in today's ethic of "accountability," but it still happens now and then. If that happened, would it impress you? How much more did Christ do for us? If there's anything more humbling, that truly focuses our appreciation on the actuality and reality of things, I can't even imagine what it could be.

And yet, the world around us is haughty, full of hate and doubt, distrustful (and often rightfully so!), "Machiavelian," and bent toward using each other like toilet paper almost. Friends, it didn't get that way by accident! WE did it OURSELVES, and we did it by giving in, a little at a time, to our baser instincts, and simply calling it "good for now." THIS is how we began and sustained our seemingly near constant decline in this country, almost from its beginning.

Some incredibly brave and dedicated and good men, not all that different from us except in beliefs, courage and attitude, gave and bequeathed to us the greatest gift that man has ever collectively received in the entire history of humankind - Liberty and Freedom. And now, we seem intent on throwing it away on a mere whim of self indulgence.

Truly, the ONLY thing that can save us is for a general return to the thing that always made us what we have traditionally wanted to be, and that is a return to Christ, and the simple and wondrously effective humility that this instills in its true followers. Will we do that? Nobody knows, but the prophesies indicate we very well will not, but it'll be, as always, our OWN decision in that. What makes it so painful in considering this question is that we've been promised that if we, who call ourselves by Christ's name, will "humble ourselves" and return to His ways, He will heal our nation and things COULD be good again. I think there's no more clearcut indication of the real value of humility than this simple and very clear and untwistable promise from Christ himself. It's one of the larger reasons that I have come to regard simple humility as the greatest hallmark of a real, true Christian.

He also said, "Many will come in my name, and say yea, yea, but they do not know me." Maybe it's time we, as individuals and a nation, rethink just how much of a REAL Christian we've been, and what we need to do to take Christ's advice and counsel, and redirect ourselves and set our course more precisely, for our own benefit and for the nation's? I personally think it'd be a great thing for us to do that, but I can decide for only one man, myself.

Personally, I have a sense that we're not likely to do that, and that we're seeing the prophesies being fulfilled as we sit and watch. I'm no prophet, though, and I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

What other hallmarks do you see in people that makes you instantly think they're Christians? There are other things, to be sure, and the one above is just my own observation from what I've seen in this life. What's yours?

Boaz
02-21-2016, 05:00 PM
One of the best posts you have made Blackwater and I have read many that you put up . What many Christians and non believers think is that humility requires serving without decision , being subservient , being stupid .
Humility is strength , realizing not who you are but who you should be . Using your personal experience to help others . Realizing there is a greater power than yourself , realizing you can express yourself without worrying about what others think . Humility is strength . Knowing others will ridicule , persecute , and belittle you as being weak when they are the one's that are weak . Humility is knowing who you are ....knowing who GOD is . Humility is strength , being able to admit your failings , being able to accept advice from those you you love or trying to help , humility is strength . Humility is caring for others .................................................. .................................................. ........................
Humility is not being stupid , not bending a knee at popular opinion , not trying to please , not enabling , not trying to fit into something wrong , humility is not being a slave to evil . Humility is a strength .
When you give truly yourself to the Lord your finally admit your weakness , you admit your failings , humility is one of your rewards here on this earth .

shoot-n-lead
02-21-2016, 05:26 PM
Good post, Blackwater. I certainly agree with most of what you said and a lot of it, hit home with me...as a lot of things do, every day. I cannot tell you, in my life, how many times that I have said something...been convicted immediately and had to ask forgiveness and go back and straighten it out. Now, that is not fun, but I am certainly glad that GOD has oversight on my life and points out the many things that I do wrong.

We all, believers, understand very well where this world and our country are going. We also understand that it is very unlikely to change, at this point in time. Does that mean that we just throw in the towel? I say no, that should just prompt us to seek more guidance from GOD as to what WE can do to change or mitigate the idiocy that is going on around us.

The one thing that I will disagree with, and this is probably just semantics, is that there are some things that we should vehemently stand against, lest righteous humility take on the look of acceptance, to those around us. In these cases, we ARE right and should make no apology for it.

Boaz
02-21-2016, 05:38 PM
I agree .

Blackwater
02-21-2016, 10:15 PM
Shoot'n lead, you're not the only one, brother. I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut, and that sometimes gets me in the frying pan, but along with humility, we have to have the simple courage of our convictions. I'm a lot less hasty than I once was. Simple age takes care of that, at least partially, and now I only take on those issues that I feel very strongly about, and believe devoutly that I'm right about. It's a lot like Daniel Boone's old philosophy, "Be sure you're right, then go ahead on." My prime (and perhaps only?) saving grace is I have always listened to people intently, and thought about what they said. Whatever I've learned has been due to that.

Personally, I get kind of sick seeing all the PC "go along to get along stuff" that pervades our land today, even among Christians, who've been taught better, or at least it's been tried. We never hear the words, "the courage of our conviction" these days. There seems to be a reason for that.

We have twisted concepts of what words have always meant, classically, and the word "humility" is just one of them. PC has made so many inroads so deep into our psyches, it's a wonder we can still think at all, I sometimes think! And you're right about having to answer for our mistakes. Being wrong or mistaken sometimes, is just a part of life. It's the way of PC now to double down, even when you discover you're wrong, and then it becomes a simple power play and test of wills, when it SHOULD be about what's right and true and good.

I may not be the brightest star in the sky, but I've hung around people who are smarter and better and more knowledgeable than I am, and everything I believe and hold dear is borrowed from someone I've known along the way who showed me the way. Ultimately, we have nothing but our free will that's fully ours. God made everything else in this world, and it's His to do with as He will, including our mortal bodies and lives and everything in the entire universe. All we have, ultimately, is our free will, and that, we all too often use in seeking our own limited desires, rather than the larger and much more appropriate and eternal will of the God who gave us all that we survey and are and ever will have. Sometimes I think we're as dumb as a box of rocks in not seeing this more clearly and more often. If that doesn't keep us humble, what could?

I've learned an awful lot from an awful lot of awfully smart, learned, well read and considered people of true good will. I've read an awful lot of really great authors, too, and am thankful for almost all of them I've read, even if what I read only confirmed what I already believed. Among them, Chesterton, C. S. Lewis and Hugh Ross are my favorites - the ones from which I learned the most and the best from. I'll never read all Chesterton wrote, but he is the most balanced and strictly logical Christian apologist (I hate that word, but love what it means) I've ever read. It's evident from the outset that he's simply after the Truth, wherever he can find it. He was finally, toward the end of his life, a convert to Catholocism, and he makes some awfully good cases for his decision. I'll stick with my little Baptist Church that I've been a member of for over 50 years now, but I sure do enjoy reading him, and learning from what he wrote. Nobody else I've ever found deals with things quite as fully and freely and logically as he does. He makes the obscure clear because he doesn't get tangled up in minutia, and is always zinging straight to the heart of the matter.

Lewis is the real "full meal deal," and deals with questions head on and unrelentingly. His stamina and determination to KNOW is amazing and humbling, and his reasoning in working it all out is crisp and clear and absolutely focused on the facts. He always finds the key thread to pull to unravel the most snarly issues.

Ross and his RTB friends clearly demonstrate how science really proves our Faith, or comes so close to proof that the support it gives is rock steady and super strong. Who among us could NOT use some shoring up of our Faith? Having science come right up to the door of actual proof of God, and how He works, is amazing to me.

I guess I've always been amazed by what I've seen that warranted amazement. I've never outgrown it, either, and hope never to do so. I think I'm actually getting MORE amazed at what we're learning, as time goes on. It's so solid, how could I not be?

The search for ever increasing our faith and understanding is a never ceasing pursuit, and an honorable one. There are many factors in our modern lives that inhibit it, and through the years, I've found that simply looking for the real Christians we encounter, wherever we are at any given time and whatever we're doing then, is a good way to help sustain us through whatever we happen to be facing at any point in time. And that is what led me to the realization that a certain kind of humility, combined with real courage of our convictions, and a will to face whatever God puts in our life, is the greatest hallmark that I've ever seen in recognizing a person as a Christian without ever having met them before, or even spoken a word to them. It's not infallible, but we simply cannot hide what's really inside us. It comes through in all manner of what they call "body language" these days. Old timers just called it "reading people." Whatever anyone wants to call it, our lights DO indeed shine through, and some of course are brighter than others. That's just how we are, and in the case of those whose lights don't shine as brightly as some others, it's often these days because they are spending most of their time providing and trying to provide for their families, and simply enjoy them and their friends. Sooner or later, though, I think we all have to give our best shot at understanding more and better the simple will of God. After all, how can we DO His will if we don't understand it for us? Makes sense to me, anyway.

None of us will ever get to understand more than a small portion of God's mind and will for us, but I am supremely thankful and humbled by what He's allowed me to learn of it. And the more I learn, the more humbled it keeps me. Realizing something really IS out there that's SO much larger and grander and more powerful and far reaching than we are could not be anything but humbling, could it?

We all get too caught up in the things of the moment that I am SO glad I've taken the time, on fairly regular occasions, to read and keep searching, even when the search kind'a went sour on me, and the stuff I read wasn't quite fulfilling or helpful. It's a long road, but it's a worthy one, and the only one that'll ever lead us to contentment, in the end. Being humble enough to learn these lessons is a major boon to any Christian who aspires to become a better one. That God has let me live long enough to learn and absorb what I have, and reason it out as best as I can, and have the kind of tutors and examples I have had in my life, is the most humbling thing of all. I think it really IS true that "All things work together for the good for those who love the Lord." It's sure been the case in my life, that's for sure!

buckwheatpaul
02-22-2016, 08:11 AM
Blackwater and Boaz, These posts are some of the best that I have read.....very thought provoking and a great insight into our souls.......As we mature most people move from being selfish and selfserving into giving and caring.....God changed me in 1980 and I like to help and minister others......because it is the right thing to do and the Bible says that we are suppose to! If you look around our site you can see how many step up and help when the chips are down for other less fortunate members or those that are suffering a life altering situation....that is the reason I am proud to be a member of our Cast Boolit Family! Paul

Blackwater
02-22-2016, 12:58 PM
Thanks, Paul, but nothing I have posted or ever WILL post is mine. All of it is borrowed from somebody somewhere, and all I've done is tried to pay attention and as best as I can, to separate the wheat from the chaff. It's taken so long to get "ripe enough" that some of it CAN sink in that it's awfully humbling to realize I COULD have seen these things much earlier. I guess I just wasn't "ripe" yet for it? And any praise belongs to those whom I've learned from, and there have been so many, many of them for so very, very long now, that I feel like a real dummy for not recognizing such simple and elemental facts MUCH earlier and of my own effort and accord. All any of CAN do, really, is pass on what we learn from the best around us, IF we're simply willing to learn from them. I've been far too resistant to learn things that I simply didn't WANT to accept, or didn't understand, that your words kind'a bite me from behind in these realizations. But thanks anyway.

When you get right down to it, God is so very simple and elemental and undeniable, that it's truly humbling when we realize how calous and dense we've been for most of our lives. There's no glory for ANY of us, due to that, and it all belongs to the One doing the healing, the teaching, and the caring for us when we don't do a very good job of caring for our own selves.

I keep thinking of that old story about the man who was walking with Christ along a beach, and when he looked back, saw both sets of footprints left behind, but in places, only one set of prints was evident. He turned to Christ and said, "Lord, I see places behind us where there are only one set of tracks. Why did you leave me at those times?"

Christ turned to him, smiled knowingly, and said, "My son, those are the places where I was CARRYING you." And that really pretty well sums up how our lives work in this world. He gives us all sorts of ways to learn and to know. We just don't typically use them very well, and all too often, leave them in place and untried, because we are so devoted to our own will. As an old judge I loved used to say, though, "Even a blind hog finds an acorn now and then if he just keeps rooting." As Clint Eastwood might say, "I reckon so," and it sure seems that we all "see through the glass darkly." But if we are faithful and persist, we CAN learn, even when we're not cut out all that well for it. It just takes time and persistence and the simplest level of faith. But ultimately, it's God who gives us the opportunity and ability to make the right decisions, if we'll just simply accept the Truths He's tried so hard to teach us. He even sent his only Son to die on the cross for us, and our evil natured ways. How can we NOT be humbled by all this???? And yet, look around, and just about all you'll see today is willfulness and the strife that naturally results from it. Can we humans be dumb and unteachable, or what? Now THAT is what SHOULD keep us humble!