PDA

View Full Version : Yugo M48 from SOG Purchase

Kevinakaq
02-21-2016, 11:39 AM
Good morning Gents,

I just received an M48 from Southern Ohio Gun (SOG) and thought I would make a report on the rifle I received for those thinking of the purchasing one from the site. The rifle purchased is linked below. I opted for the extra 10 bucks for a handpicked rifle. I did put the standard request within comments section asking for a good one as this was my first purchase from them. I noticed on my packing slip it has highlighted "***as nice as possible***" along with the fact that I paid for a hand select.

http://www.southernohiogun.com/longguns/c-r-longguns/mauser-m48-rifles-8mm.html

The bluing is easily 96+ percent as you can see from the pictures. Bore is bright and shiny and if shot it was very little. Of course the rifle came packed in Cosmaline and my Saturday morning was spent dissembling the rifle and cleaning each part. The butt stock does show a crack that has been repaired - at factory perhaps but this would seem unlikely? The quality of the wood work on the M48 is not stellar, but passing for a military rifle. Definitely not at the level you would see on a Sweedish Mauser etc. Action functions smoothly which was a nice surprise as I had read some conflicting reports about this. Serial numbers match throughout the rifle including the stock. The floor plate has been stamped to match. There is a rather large import mark on the right side behind the muzzle but this is to be expected although not enjoyed.

Overall I was very pleased to receive the rifle in this condition as we all know it is a **** shoot ordering unseen from a Surplus shop. I could have done without the repaired stock, but it will in no way impede the enjoyment of this shooter. Have brass/dies on the way, already have gas checks from my 32 win spl casting, and looking to order a mold over the next few days. Might start out with the Lee 329-205 or 324-175. Have not slugged barrel at this time, maybe sometime later today.

As I said I was just looking to purchase an M48 and as I couldn't find many examples online from SOG before doing so I thought I would help out the next guy.

Kev

16151216151316151416151516151616151716151816151916 1520

Gunor
02-21-2016, 12:45 PM
Sorry, but I am really a..l on bore condition - and buying a rifle online - and I am looking for a 8mm...

How is yours? Still bright and shiny - sharp looking throat?

Also on the SOG site - there are like 3 different M48 and 3 prices - difference?

Bore condition. I have been working on a buddy's Yugo - I have not looked to see what importer it was.

Foaming bore cleaner - I was impressed with the huge amount of copper fouling that came out. About 10 treatments - fill the bore with foam, keep level, wait, and then stand muzzle down.

My bore - throat was a little frosted/worn looking.

Thanks
Geoff in Oregon

Kevinakaq
02-21-2016, 12:48 PM
Bright and shiney. Nice and crisp. If shot was very little.

My bore - throat was a little frosted/worn looking.

How is yours? Still bright and shiny - sharp looking throat?

Gunor
02-21-2016, 12:54 PM
Thanks on bore.

Any idea on the different SOG versions?

sorry for being a pest...

Kevinakaq
02-21-2016, 12:58 PM
There are three main versions of the M48.
M48: 1948-1952- The initial version of the M48, with full crest and all machined steel parts.
M48A: 1952-1956- Inclusion of stamped parts. the M48A used sheet metal stampings for the magazine floor plate. These changes sped production while lowering cost. The critical bolt and receiver which contain the pressure of the burning propellant within the cartridge case retained the same material requirements and design tolerances (i.e. were machined from forged steel) in the A and B variations.
M48B: 1956-1965- Additional sheet metal stampings incorporated. The most critical factor to understand about this model is that it continued to be stamped on the receiver ring M48A. There was no change in markings. The specific changes in parts is unverified but include stamped barrel and H-bands and the magazine spring follower. The most significant change and external appearance whereby the M48B may be identified is the trigger guard. Whereas previously, the trigger guard/mag well were machined from a solid billet of steel, it was changed to an assembly fabricated from stamped parts. The new trigger guard has a rib running around the exterior of both sides. While the exact number of changes made to this model have not been specified, the impact on production in 1956 were extensive and drastically reduced the number produced that year. There was a specific reason for this. From 1956 on, all M48 production was intended solely for export.
M48BO: 1956-1965- The "bo" stands for "bez oznake" and translates roughly as "unmarked" or "without markings." These were identical to and manufactured concurrent with the crested M48B but were not stamped with any national or manufacturer's markings.

If you look at each of the different Yugo mausers pages on SOG you will see the model in the sku number. And not being a pest at all as this was the reason I made the post.

Gunor
02-21-2016, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the info. And all the research you did.

geoff in oregon

Speedo66
02-22-2016, 04:40 PM
AIM Surplus also has them in a couple of grades, lowest grade is now gone. http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?groupid=6749&name=Yugoslavian+Model+M48%2fM48A+8mm+Mauser+Rifle s

(http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?groupid=6749&name=Yugoslavian+Model+M48%2fM48A+8mm+Mauser+Rifle s)

Combat Diver
02-28-2016, 03:27 AM
I got a M48BO in trade over 20 years ago. Great shooting rifle with surplus Egyptian and Israeli ammo. Used to love ringing the iron maidens out to 500m with irons.

CD

kungfustyle
02-28-2016, 05:50 AM
They shoot cast great. Get an RCBS form and trim die 30-06 to 8mm. You'll need to get some kind of neck turning to shave a bit off the 06 cases, but you will have an ample supply of 8mm brass.

Kevinakaq
02-28-2016, 06:28 AM
They shoot cast great. Get an RCBS form and trim die 30-06 to 8mm. You'll need to get some kind of neck turning to shave a bit off the 06 cases, but you will have an ample supply of 8mm brass.

thanks for the tip. I got lucky and day after I ordered someone was selling a set of rcbs dies and 100 pieces new remington brass on the cheap so I am set for the time being. Even have gas checks on hand as I cast for 32 win spl already. Need a mold and will likely order the Lee 329-205 or 324-175 as a starter point, but not set on it. Need to do a bit more research.