PDA

View Full Version : Oven Use for Powder Coating

buggybuilder
02-21-2016, 11:10 AM
My wife is not crazy about me using her oven for my bullet coating. Would it be feasible to use a crockpot or some other appliance like it?

Beagle333
02-21-2016, 11:13 AM
No, you really need an oven. You can get a toaster oven from nearly any Thrift store or Goodwill for a few bucks. Sometimes as little at $5-10. You can find them on Craigslist (that's where I got mine), or Ebay (got one there too), and in the local yard sales and even the classifieds of your local papers. My first one was brand new from Kroger and was only $18 bucks.
A convection model is better, since you get the air circulation, but if you don't overcrowd your baking and learn your oven and where its hot spots are, you can use a regular toaster oven. It's not too expensive to have a dedicated powdercoating oven. Remember to preheat before starting and Good Luck!!!!

(either way.... definitely pick up a baking thermometer!!! They are only 5-7 bucks and are indispensable for helping you keep your oven in the "good" zone when baking.)
example: http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Precision-Products-Classic-Thermometer/dp/B0000DJUYR/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1456067795&sr=8-13&keywords=baking+thermometer

slim1836
02-21-2016, 11:17 AM
Rule of thumb is NO. Many comments about this have been made both pro and con, I tend to lean toward the safer side.
You should have a dedicated oven for powder coating only and goodwill usually has them cheap. Look for a convection oven to avoid hot spots.

Slim

jcren
02-21-2016, 12:29 PM
Not worth the pain. Buy her a new toaster oven to make up for suggesting it, then "dispose" of her old one for her.

Taylor
02-21-2016, 12:45 PM
My Hamilton Beech toaster/convection oven does pretty good.Holds temp within a few degrees.Stay away from Farberware.

bangerjim
02-21-2016, 12:53 PM
Obviously you have NOT read any of the threads in the alt coatings area.

1. NEVER use tools used for future food prep for anything dealing with lead, grease, PC. Potential health hazard.

2. Do NOT bake PC indoors.

3. It takes 400F for only 10 minutes to bake PC in an oven.....NOT some silly crock pot! They do not get much over 240F. And after hours of heating.

4. Buy a dedicated PC bake oven. I just spend my 2nd $100 on a high-end convection oven for PC only. AND>>>>>>>>>>>>>Do NOT buy Farberware!

5. Read some more on here.

banger

runfiverun
02-21-2016, 09:31 PM
you forgot rule number ONE.

1. don't touch the wife's stuff ever unless you plan on buying her a new one
by new one I mean a BRAND NEW, MORE EXPENSIVE ONE.

hickfu
02-22-2016, 03:23 AM
I purchased 3 toaster ovens at a thrift store for under $20 combined. I used all 3 for almost 3 years while powder coating. I got rid of them when I moved out of Ca. so I will have to find one in a thrift store up here.

The convection ones are the best (2 of the 3 were convection)

2wheelDuke
02-22-2016, 03:58 AM
+1 on buying a new convection toaster oven for the kitchen then using the old one for boolits.

fredj338
02-23-2016, 01:43 PM
I got a 2 rack, 12" conv pizza oven for $50 from Wally. Works great, does a lot of bullets. Sure, thrift store ones can work, but my time is worth something & buying a maybe vs one I know works, worth a few $$. Btw, Wally delivered it for that price too, so no driving or gas. Sometimes bargains aren't bargains.

shoot-n-lead
02-23-2016, 02:10 PM
and>>>>>>>>>>>>>do not buy farberware!

Banger

bingo!

flysubcompact
02-24-2016, 04:17 PM
Not worth the pain. Buy her a new toaster oven to make up for suggesting it, then "dispose" of her old one for her.

That is what I did. The old one in the kitchen was getting kind of janky looking anyway. New one from Walmart ($21) is in the kitchen....the old jacked up looking one cures powder coat at the shop. Neither are convection type, btw.

tiger762
02-24-2016, 09:07 PM
Another vote here for a toaster oven from Goodwill. I got one for $7 and it looked like it had hardly been used.

My wife is not crazy about me using her oven for my bullet coating. Would it be feasible to use a crockpot or some other appliance like it?

RP
02-24-2016, 11:10 PM
I am in the Goldsboro NC area and have a few toaster ovens free for the taking, I moved up to a full size stove so I no longer need them. Any takers PM me I hate tossing anything but really need the space in the shop.