PDA

View Full Version : Question for Blackhawk .454/.480 owners

C. Latch
02-21-2016, 10:57 AM
I know some people here have the new .454/480 Blackhawks and I want to pick your brains a bit:

Putting aside the difference in recoil between those calibers and a heavy-loaded .45 Colt, in terms of offhand shooting, do any of you see a difference in controllability and field accuracy between the heavy 6.5" barrel and the lighter 4.625" or 5.5" barrels of other Rugers?

I guess my question boils down to whether or not you're noticing that the heavier barrel 'hangs' better and is easier to shoot. I sometimes surprise myself with my 5.5" .45 but I'm getting older and more wobbly and I'm wondering if the heavier barrel would help some.

JSH
02-21-2016, 11:40 AM
I myself don't see any difference in the 480 6.5 and the 45 colt 5.5, I have both. A lot of what you ask will vary person to person by age and physical shape.
A heavier gun may be a bit steadier for some while on the other side it stresses those in a lesser physical state. Then, as the shooting session goes on, the heavier it gets.
Hand some one that shoots a glock an all steel wheel gun. First comment they will make is how heavy it is.
Jeff

contender1
02-21-2016, 09:41 PM
I have quite a few Rugers, ,including the 480 SBH. I also have the Bisley 45 Colt/acp convertible in 5-1/2" to play with.
I load my guns for accuracy, and each one of these guns feels differently than the other one. The 480 definitely has more felt recoil,,, but I think it's due to the loads,,, not the design. No, my loads are not heavy, maxed out ones either.
In short,,, if you got a 454 in the SBH,, and loaded it with your 45 Colt loads,,, you'd likely feel it was a bit easier to shoot. But if you are comparing the 45 Colt to the 480,,, then there will be a noticeable difference,,, not in the way you desire.

osteodoc08
02-22-2016, 12:57 AM
I'll find out soon enough as I have a 480 SBH Bisley on order and should be here next week. I'll then be able to compare 41, 44, 45 colt and 480 Ruger

44man
02-22-2016, 09:49 AM
Age will do you in as well as injuries all the years that come back all at once.
But I like at least 7-1/2" for hunting because i can shoot deer without my ears torn loose even though I can't take one shot on the range. No stinking cuts in a barrel either. Like being on deck of a destroyer when the big guns go off. You have not lived until you shoot a bazooka with cotton in your ears. No wonder you guys sound funny!
I found as my revolvers got bigger and heavier I could not hold the light Mark II's steady at all. Now the big guns wave all over too.
But a long barrel is better for noise reduction when hunting.

Mica_Hiebert
02-22-2016, 10:28 AM
I find its easier for me to make more precise shots with a longer sight radius but some of the long range pistol guys like shorter barrels because they can get more elevation with a shorter sight radius. As far as recoil I don't think theirs alot of percieved difference in barrel length. Hot 45 compared to hot 480 is an apples to oranges comparison... I don't have a blackhawk in 480 but I do have the 480 in super redhawk and with factory grips it tore my middle finger up! With hogue grips with the finger grooves it is very pleasant to shoot now. I don't like the way blackhawk hogues look but they feel nice. I guess what I am trying to say is that there are probably allot greater factors in perceived recoil than the barrel length. Some say the bisley grip frame rolls better and helps control recoil other prefer the plow handle. I haven't shot a bisley yet but I would like to because I lust over a freedom arms 475 linebaugh.

white eagle
02-22-2016, 12:18 PM
I have had a 480 and regret to this day getting rid of it
however a heavily loaded 45 colt and the 480 rug are similar in recoil
to me but you may heave a different threshold

44man
02-24-2016, 09:08 AM
I had to put Pachmeyer's on my Vaquero, heavy hunting loads were only good for 6 shots. A .45 can hurt! Many of my friends never took all 6.
Now it feels good.

C. Latch
02-24-2016, 06:47 PM
Thanks guys.

I'm really not concerned with recoil here; I mainly just want to know how the extra weight of the longer, heavier barrel impacts offhand shooting. It can't possibly hurt.