PDA

View Full Version : BP Military Cartridges - Case Trimming ... best trimmer?

ab212amisar
02-21-2016, 06:01 AM
Hello,
after years of reloading smokeless I'm equipping to start reloading of BP military cartridges and I need e case trimmer which can handle many different types (Italian Vetterli, Gras, Turkish Mauser 87, etc...). The minimum Rim diameter will be around .571 while the maximum is .667, the minimum case length is 1.87, the maximum 2.37. bullet diameter go from .389 to .460.
I already have a Forster "Original" which I know very well so I was thinking about acquire the "Classic" version, but it seems to me that Lyman Universal and Redding 2400 are also good options, only I don't know their "collet" system which "fits all popular case" just to cite Redding and I don't consider my cartridges so "popular" to risk without an advice.
I'm interested in squareness of the cut, precision and versatility, not in volume of production.
Is there anyone so kind to relate his experience and give me an advice?
Thank You
Dario

lightman
02-21-2016, 12:24 PM
The universal chuck on the Lyman is nice but I'm not sure if it will open up enough for your largest rim. I'm not sure if Forster, Redding or RCBS collets open up enough either. Does Lee offer their case gauge/ shell holder in your calibers?

ascast
02-21-2016, 01:26 PM
Lyman Accutrim - it uses he same shell holder from your press, any modern standard. The case is held in by a screw from the left which is rounded and fits into/against the primer pocket and pinches the case against the inside of the shell holder. As you will be getting a shell holder with every die, this solves a big problem. The Forster will require a different collet, or at least a few different ones plus the bigger base. Forster will most likely do a better job of suppyling pilots than Lyman, or any of the others.
I had my pilots made years ago by a buddy who is now gone, with the lathe. There are guys here on the board who are known to make things now and again. Perhaps you could enlist their involvement to make pilots. The Lyman pilot mount is smaller than the Forster. Maybe you could have a sleeve made and used you current pilots.
The Forster is a better set up for neck turning, if you want to 600 yds with these things you may want that.
The Accutrim will do shotguns brass with the right cutter head. It will do 577/450 as is. ( wow ) They float by on fleabay for about $30-40 regularly.
C&H-4D has the best dies (imho) and correct expanding plugs for these oldies. You might contact them for special made parts also. They wont be cheap.
maybe like a cutter head for 12 ga brass
later

r1kk1
02-21-2016, 01:51 PM
CH4D or Wilson. Neither one is dependent on rim diameter.

Take care

r1kk1

Le Loup Solitaire
02-21-2016, 11:50 PM
I've been using an Accutrim for many years now;the use of the same shellholders that fit presses is a real convenience. Replacement cutters are still available if needed. Mine is mounted on a 4 x 8 board that I clamp to the bench where ever needed. Pilots are reasonably priced. LLS

WFO2
02-22-2016, 02:13 PM
I use a little crow trimmer it works well on cases with a shoulder . It chucks up in a drill and once you get it set you can do as many cases at once as you want . When i bought my two for .308 and .300 blck out they were about 65 dollars .

WFO2
02-22-2016, 02:15 PM
ah sorry reread the post this are case specific .

TNsailorman
02-23-2016, 12:48 PM
I have used C&H, RCBS, Lyman, Forster, Lee, L.E. Wilson trimmers. I like the C&H and Wilson the better of the bunch as they cut the case mouth square each and every time and also the case length will be dead on each time.

ndnchf
02-23-2016, 06:13 PM
I used a Lyman universal trimmer and it handles all my 50 cal cases 50-70, 50-95 and 56-50 Spencer. If I recall correctly, I had to take a Dremel and take a .020" off the opening to slide in the case. It took about 30 seconds to do. It works just fine for me.

phidelt208
02-25-2016, 01:43 AM
I"m a fan of little crow trimmer WFT works great just lock a drill in my vice, keep it running and just trim, trim trim. :bigsmyl2: