PDA

View Full Version : ruger standard auto barrel

leebuilder
02-20-2016, 10:38 PM
Hi all. A friend of mine asked me if I could gear him up with longer heavier barrel. Sounds interesting and something I want to do. I have a drawing and I am sure it is threaded into the breech.
Any help/ advice would be greatly appreciated .
Be well

HeavyMetal
02-20-2016, 11:03 PM
I have done this and I can tell you it isn't that easy!!

Please look harder at the chamber end of the barrel and note the feed ramp is machined into the barrel, this means a lot more maching than a simple threading operation.

I have barreled Two Ruger Mark I's the first was a standard 6 inch fixed sight gun that I wanted a heavier barrel on.

Rather than re barrel it, nothing wrong with the barrel mind you just to "whippy" for my taste, I chucked the receiver and barrel into my lathe and tuned the entire barrel down so it was the same diameter from receiver to muzzle, leaving a bit of a shoulder at the receiver end.

I then turned a sleeve to fit over the reduced diameter barrel, counter sunk to fit over the shoulder I'd left at the receiver end, and used Acraglass to join the two pieces into a very permanent bonded part!

It now sports a dot scope and with some other improvements shoots very impressively!

The second I did much less work on and simply called Clarke custom and asked if they had any take off barrels from a Mark II or III.

For 100 I got a nice, never fired, 5.5 inch fluted bull barrel, and could have had a 10 incher if I'd wanted it, from a Mark III hunter.

This barrel screwed into the Mark I receiver with no issues except bring it up to center with a slight shoulder adjustment!

Pretty simple work, compared to cutting a barrel with the right threads and set up to have the feed ramp be here it needs to be when done!

I called Clarke about 4 years ago for that particular project and this is the path I suggest you take for improving you Ruger 22 auto

leebuilder
02-21-2016, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the advice and sharing your experience. I will talk to my buddy about your suggestion, he too thinks it is whimmpy and the added weight would improve accuracy. I am not afraid of intricate machining, it is where I shine. If I could see the barrel end I could make a better decision.
Thanks so much Heavy Metal.
Be well

Artful
02-21-2016, 03:20 PM
Rather than re barrel it, nothing wrong with the barrel mind you just to "whippy" for my taste, I chucked the receiver and barrel into my lathe and tuned the entire barrel down so it was the same diameter from receiver to muzzle, leaving a bit of a shoulder at the receiver end.

I then turned a sleeve to fit over the reduced diameter barrel, counter sunk to fit over the shoulder I'd left at the receiver end, and used Acraglass to join the two pieces into a very permanent bonded part!

It now sports a dot scope and with some other improvements shoots very impressively!

Impressive solution - mind if I steal this idea for another project?