PDA

View Full Version : How To Process/Melt TMJ Bullets From the Range

mfraser264
02-20-2016, 08:28 PM
After gathering up the various containers of range lead time to melt them down. However there are many TMJ bullets and unless the jacket is fractured, no way for the molten lead to run out. Wondering how others have been approaching this. Estimating they make up 15% on the lead picked up and not going to skim these off. Looking for a simple method/process.

Thanks.

too many things
02-20-2016, 08:58 PM
well if the bottom is sealed you have but one choice.
hammer and concrete to split them but remember some of the "green" was zinc in the core

rbuck351
02-20-2016, 09:26 PM
Yep that's what I do. Set them on my anvil and smack them with a 3lb hammer.

triggerhappy243
02-21-2016, 06:37 AM
If you put them into the pot the lead will melt still. just crush with a longer needle nose pliers. copper will shatter.

Sasquatch-1
02-21-2016, 09:04 AM
A pair of diagonal cutters works or squeezing in a heavy vice. Depending on how much you have, and the ability to obtain more, it might not be worth your time for 5 or 6 slugs.

kentuckyshooter
02-22-2016, 02:44 AM
I just dump all my range scrap in and cover the pot. In my limited experence once the lead becomes molten it will build pressure inside the jacket and force its way out. Somes times it oozes but some times it pops. Just depends on how buggered up the jacket is. When i first started i liked watching it melt. Still do honestly. But one or 2 popers and you learn your lesson. Molten lead is hot. ( Who would have thunk.) If you give my method a try just use caution while melting.

mfraser264
02-27-2016, 06:49 PM
Have a 5 gallon bucket half full of the TMJ's so some form of automation is desired. Something to think about on the sleepless nights.

Chill Wills
02-27-2016, 07:08 PM
Put them in your big pot with the rest. Put a lid on it. I use my 6 quart for these because it has a good lid.
I have never had any that do not open on their own. Mostly on the rifling marks. As said, and this is true with EVERYTHING you put in the pot, it could pop and throw lead; ware a full face safety shield and cover up the rest of your body toes to head. (but you know this)

I once, while looking for something else, saw a video of a nub in shorts and flip-flops documenting for us his first attempt at how its done. What a head shaker and then he put the skimmed off clips in a a Home Depot plastic 5-Gal bucket...... and, then the hot clips came out the bottom! Hmmm, Hot? Ain't it?

Pouring ingots in flip-flops and no eye protection.......
God looks after fools and newcomers ......for a while.

Big Dangle
02-28-2016, 08:16 PM
While the pots heating up hit one with a hammer toss it in you'll get in a good rythem then when it's heated up carry on casting. No need to sit down and do them all at once. Or I do it when I don't really have anything going on in the shed.

Sasquatch-1
02-29-2016, 07:46 AM
Have you considered an asphalt roller? :bigsmyl2:

Have a 5 gallon bucket half full of the TMJ's so some form of automation is desired. Something to think about on the sleepless nights.

LuckyDog
03-01-2016, 10:10 AM
Why the purple font?

If he lays down a 1/2" thick metal plate before running them over with the asphalt roller, he can just scrape them up.

[smilie=p:

mold maker
03-01-2016, 06:24 PM
I use a framing hammer (waffle face) against the side of an over turned piece of Rail Road track. One smack and the waffle face opens a pattern in the jacket, that releases all the contained lead without over heating.
When dipping out the jackets you'll notice a heavy one that needs a smack. The sound of the dipper being shaken is a giveaway.

edp2k
03-03-2016, 12:51 AM
Bolt cutters.

Oklahoma Rebel
03-05-2016, 02:03 PM
what does tmj stand for, I know all the other abb.'s and I have only seen TMJ a couple times. thank you
Travis

scorpion
03-05-2016, 02:16 PM
TMJ=Totally metal jacket