PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Maximum Pics

Coogs
02-20-2016, 09:31 AM
Some pics of Ruger Maximums. Below a little collection of when I was just getting started.
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk34/WarningModel/100_1494.jpg (http://s276.photobucket.com/user/WarningModel/media/100_1494.jpg.html)
The three sisters, 600-00009,10 and 11
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk34/WarningModel/100_1492.jpg (http://s276.photobucket.com/user/WarningModel/media/100_1492.jpg.html)
And a few of 'em stacked up in the gun room. There's some other stuff mixed in. Old pic, lot more Maxi's lately.
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk34/WarningModel/100_1267_1.jpg (http://s276.photobucket.com/user/WarningModel/media/100_1267_1.jpg.html)
Ruger produced 16,314 completed Maximums and or serialized frames. Believe it or not Ruger "scrapped" over 5000 completed guns and or serialized frames. The highest serial numbered Max out there is 600-11588 (See my ad posted in classifieds) Though Ruger lists manufacture of the Maximum into 1984, I'm pretty sure any manufactured then were "scrapped" Ruger does not necessarily manufacture in serial number order. The highest numbered Maximums out there were manufactured in March of 1983. The Max is a great round, and an excellent CB round. I load a 180, 200 and a 210 CB GC on top of some 4227. The demise of the Max is a very complicated story. Won't go into it here. The flame cutting on the top strap will abate after about 1000 rounds of so, so it is really a non issue. The forcing cone erosion is a different story. Original Max forcing cone was 5 degrees. Ruger changed it to 11 degrees which did help, but, guys trying to push that 125 grain bullet on top of some fast burning powders at Mach 4.2 just acted like a sand blaster on the forcing cone. Stay with 180 grain and larger bullets on top of a slow burning powder and a Max will give you a lifetime of enjoyment. Remington loaded a 158 Grain round, which I assume was their "hunting" round. They also did a 180 grain as well as did Federal. Dan Wesson loaded a 170 grain round, in the Maximum, not the Super mag. That confusion story is for a different time. Coogs.

osteodoc08
02-20-2016, 10:38 AM
I'm quite jealous. An awesome collection of Ruger Maximums. I'm sure you're familiar with Ruger Forum and RENE

Whistler
02-20-2016, 11:46 AM
Rare cartridge. Even more rare in my part of the world.
Here is my custom build Super Redhawk, a great performer.
Started out as a .44 Mag. Now .357 Maximum. Frame windowed enlarged to account for the longer custom cylinder. 12" Shilen barrel with flutes.
I shoot it with 180-220 gn gas checked boolits and a steady load of 20-23 grain N120 for 1500-1800 fps. This gun has never seen a j-word bullet.

(sorry for the small picture quality, I've lost some files and will have to take new photos)

Lucky Joe
02-20-2016, 12:34 PM
161425That is a nice bunch Coogs I would like to get one someday. The rarest Ruger I have is a .357 Redhawk pictured with my S&W 686. I understand roughly 5,000 .357 Redhawks were made.

Here is another nice bunch S&W Model 29-2's pinned and recessed. I know off topic and I apologize but I am a gun nut.

Coogs
02-21-2016, 09:55 AM
Osteodoc, more than familiar. Been into Rugers since '78. I guess I'm considered one of the "old guys" Use to do Bill Goodman shows back in the day in Detroit and Louisville, PGCA shows in Monroeville. All RCA shows. Got out of it for a bit, then back in full bore. RCA show then went to Harrisburg. Now it's a "ROCS" Ruger Owner's and Collectors Society show at the OGCA in Clevland. Been around the block a time or two. Coogs.

kenyerian
02-21-2016, 10:29 AM
Impressive!

JSH
02-21-2016, 11:03 AM
Coogs, always wondered where they all went, lol. After the myth was proven wrong I don't know why some one has not made that frame length again and get the maximums/super mags back in production. The BFR is there of course but to much of a good thing IMHO.
I know of 3-4 local to me that IHMSA shooters have rat holed. Two are nib unfired in turned. The other sees day light once in a while. There is another I have heard of but not seen yet.
If I could get my paws on another I know of it would become a 375SM in short order. It is rough externally.
It is a dandy cartridge, though I don't think it holds the magical powers some tend to think it does. Being a straight wall makes it very easy to work with. A lever gun in this cartridge along with the 327 would be a welcome addition to my stable.
I think what has made the move to that frame length a no go is to just make the cylinder longer and in a 5 shot. Almost a max but not the real deal.
Jeff

Uncle R.
02-21-2016, 12:07 PM
Sweet mother!
What an impressive collection!
I confess I am envious as all get out.

I still kick myself every time I see a Ruger Maximum.
Around the time they were discontinued I saw a new one displayed for sale in a hardware store in northern Wisconsin.
I was "up north" on a camping and fishing trip and had run into town to buy some propane bottles. Checked out the rather modest sporting goods area in the hardware store and saw that Ruger.

I was a very active IHMSA shooter in those days.
I knew the whole story of the Maximum/Super Mag.
I knew about top straps and forcing cones, but I also knew longer heavier bullets did much less damage.
I knew, but apparently the management of that store didn't.
They didn't know or didn't care that Ruger was soon to be a rare collector's item. The price was very fair.

I left it there.
Gawd help me, I left it there.

I considered it, could have swung the price easily enough, but I talked myself out of it.
I decided I had no need of it, no practical use for it.
Dan Wessons were winning everything in IHMSA revolver class and the Rugers couldn't match their accuracy. It was no better for deer hunting than my Super Blackhawk, and not much of a weekend plinker.

Gawd forgive me, I thought I should only buy guns that I could use for something practical.
The best excuse I can offer is that I was much younger then.
So soon we get old - so late we get smart.
Sigh...

Uncle R.

osteodoc08
02-21-2016, 01:00 PM
Osteodoc, more than familiar. Been into Rugers since '78. I guess I'm considered one of the "old guys" Use to do Bill Goodman shows back in the day in Detroit and Louisville, PGCA shows in Monroeville. All RCA shows. Got out of it for a bit, then back in full bore. RCA show then went to Harrisburg. Now it's a "ROCS" Ruger Owner's and Collectors Society show at the OGCA in Clevland. Been around the block a time or two. Coogs.

Thats pretty awesome. While I haven't really been a "collector" of rugers such as yourself, I do enjoy reading and learning. I appreciate the comments and look forward to having you and your knowledge base over here at CastBoolits

I have to confess, that if I were a collector, I failed a few weeks ago. I had the opportunity to pick up a "Buckeye" model and passed it up. I should have snagged it or put it on layaway as it was gone the following week.

dtknowles
02-21-2016, 02:36 PM
Here is my Max. Dan Wesson Supermag!

I don't prefer Single Actions.

Tim

Coogs
02-21-2016, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the comments! My lowest serial number is 600-00009, then we go 10, 11, 13, 17, 19, 20, 22, 32, etc., etc, highest one I have is 11577, 11 digits short of 11588, the highest one out there. Believe it or not, 'bout 50 in all. One can never own TOO many Maxi's. Coogs.

taco650
02-22-2016, 09:06 PM
Great collection! Just wish they didn't have the square back trigger guard, hate that feature.

Markbo
02-22-2016, 09:28 PM
You can easily change that

taco650
02-22-2016, 09:47 PM
You can easily change that

I had a Superblackhawk for a while and looked into it swapping in a round guard but it seemed too pricey for the work needed. Even tried a Hogue mono grip on it and didn't like that either. Eventually the gun got traded for a S&W 64-3 which fits my gun collection better.

Leadmelter
02-22-2016, 10:21 PM
Bill Goodman's shows in Detroit, that takes me back. Never so much stuff under on roof with some questionable folks behind the tables. Bought my Polytech's AK there two weeks before Bush put a ban on them. The good old days!
Leadmelter
MI

Coogs
02-23-2016, 08:51 AM
It was at the Detroit Light Guard Armory. We stayed at a hotel on 8 mile Rd., first floor. There were three of us, D K Hummel, Pat Welch and myself and my Father. All our collections were in a 16' cargo trailer. About an 8 hour drive for us so we went over the night before. Backed the trailer up to the front door, un hitched, pulled the truck up tight to the side door. Didn't sleep to well with all that stuff outside. Had a '97 Trench gun loaded with 00 on my lap and a Berreta 92 on the hip. just in case. Yep, the good old days. Coogs.

temac
02-25-2016, 02:13 AM
Nice Superredhawk, who did the conversion and for how many duckies if you don't mind me asking? Temac

Leadmelter
02-26-2016, 08:54 PM
Coogs
I would have had the same ready to go. Only got worse.
Pretty bad to need to take a gun to go and from a gunshow!.
Preferred Roma Hall on Gratiot
Leadmelter
MI

contender1
02-27-2016, 09:15 AM
I see our friend Coogs has joined us here.
Folks,,, I've seen SOME of his FINE maxi's. He has studied & chased the Maximums for quite some time. He has a wealth of knowledge about them. I'd LOVE to find # 11588 out there so I could tease him a bit!

Coogs
02-29-2016, 01:05 PM
Thanks, Ty. I resemble that remark. Coogs.

Coogs
03-03-2016, 10:18 AM
March BTT