PDA

View Full Version : lee 309-190f problem as bullet cools

rp85
02-20-2016, 02:19 AM
hello;

my first bullet mold for cast bullet was a lee single cavity309-190f. no one could answer my questions about casting bullets 40 years ago. Had to learn by trial and error. Got very accurate bullets from this mold but rejection rate was over 50%.
Had fun but bullets from this mold would not remain straight as the bullets cooled. Gave up and got a rcbs mold and problems went away. Still wonder about problem bullets from this mold, they actually got a slight bow in appearanceas they cooled. Suggestions?
Thx
rp

GooseGestapo
02-20-2016, 03:29 AM
Sounds to me like they were coming out of the mold really hot and bending when hitting whatever you were dropping them onto.
I've used the same folded hand towel for catching cast bullets for nearly 40yrs. Same empty used Winchester primer box (5,000rd sleeve) for close to 30yrs. Towel folded in half and then doubled under gives 6 layers of towel on corrugated cardboard. SOFT landing for bullets.

I did also years ago have a Lyman 450 sizer that the top sliding ram/punch-holder wasn't lined up with the base section where the dies install. Using the correct fitted nose punch to push the bullets into the die would "bend" the bore riding nose section of the bullets. This was really pronounced with a Lyman .311299 mold I had. For the flat nose bullets (.22-45) I use a flat punch which allows the bullets to center themselves in the die avoiding the "bends".

Yodogsandman
02-20-2016, 01:15 PM
Wait about 10 seconds after you cut the sprue off before opening the mold and dumping onto a soft cloth. That will allow the boolit to fully solidify, to allow it to toughen it up before dumping.

Jim..47
02-20-2016, 01:30 PM
Hey I'm still learning, but my question is why not dump into soft water?

Yodogsandman
02-20-2016, 06:12 PM
Hey I'm still learning, but my question is why not dump into soft water?

You nailed it, that would work, too! But, the OP already has an accurate load in mind that uses air cooled boolits.

runfiverun
02-20-2016, 08:57 PM
the longer parallel sided boolits will sometimes bend like that due to unequal cooling rates from one side to the other. [sometimes it's because one side of the mold is hotter than the other like between the cavity's]
water dropping might fix the issue, or make it more pronounced.

using a little ramp to roll the boolits down into a box or bucket of water could fix the issue.

looking for little frosted spots on the boolits [on the nose right in front of the driving band]right when you open the mold would indicate the hot spot and would allow you to control the mold temp better.

Tom W.
02-20-2016, 09:02 PM
I had a few from a Ranch Dog mold do the same. I just had to wait a little longer before I opened the mold.

gwpercle
02-20-2016, 09:36 PM
More information might shed some light onto what's happening. Alloy, temperature of metal , how long before opening mould, dropping onto or into what material , if water...cold water ?
Boolits that bend while cooling is strange situation.
Also notice Lee doesn't make a 190 grain flat point any longer but do make 200 and 230 grain bullets...these are long puppies, anyone else have benders ?
Gary

runfiverun
02-21-2016, 12:13 AM
it's not all that uncommon with the long boolits.
the 6.5's are pretty famous for it happening.

stubbicatt
02-21-2016, 07:40 AM
Yep. For my longer rifle bullets I wait a count of 20 or 30, depending, before opening the mould. It is slow going, but no bent bullets either.