PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 55 powder measure

shtur
02-19-2016, 11:19 PM
I have an older Lyman 55 powder measure. How accurate is it, once the dial is set? Are there better powder measures, and should I let this old piece of equipment rest.

str8wal
02-19-2016, 11:41 PM
I love the 55's so much I own 6 of 'em. The only powder that I have had significant inconsistancy with has been Varget, but I expected as much.

OS OK
02-20-2016, 03:32 AM
Do a search on it, there is tons of info regarding the 55, many details you need to be aware of. I use it and the RCBS Uniflow and when you get your technique down right you will be more than satisfied.

Duckiller
02-20-2016, 04:07 AM
Don't assume any powder measure drops consistent charges. Weigh charges until you are sure that YOUR powder measure drops consistent charges. After that visually inspect all charged cases, forever.

Green Frog
02-21-2016, 05:51 PM
It's usually not the powder measure that makes inconsistent charges drop, it's inconsistent technique. Some measures are better with certain powders than others, but ultimately, for ANY powder measure to be consistent, the operator must be consistent. Beyond that, see Duckiller's response #4 above. ;)

Froggie