PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Orange Magic

wv109323
02-19-2016, 09:31 PM
I had several tubes of Lyman Orange Magic that I bought in bulk. After trying it I did not like it. So today I decided to melt it down and add some items to make it softer.
I had 5 tubes of LOM, about 8 oz. of red candle wax, a small jar of Vaseline and some Huaqvarna 2 cycle oil. In melting the ingredients the Lyman Orange Magic was the last to melt. I don't know what that means but the melting temperature was well above the other ingredients.
By the way the ingredients produced a cool rose/pink colored lube that is now near the hardness of my Carnuaba Red.

rockrat
02-19-2016, 10:25 PM
I used to melt it and mix 50/50 with lyman super moly. Worked very well

leadman
02-21-2016, 08:02 PM
I tried Orange Magic also quire a few years ago and did not like it. The boolits tended to leave lead in the barrel and boolits lubed but not loaded would have the lube dry out and fall off.
I think you did good in adding the extra ingredients.

wadcutter
02-22-2016, 09:40 AM
I consider orange magic a lube that is very good at one thing: not melting. I ran a series of tests were I'd made a sphere of lube, place it glass slide on a digital hot plate, waited for the lube to reach temp and them compressed it with a 1 lb weight. At 150F most lubes had melted but the orange barely deformed under weight (7mm sphere deformed to 11mm diameter).

Because it's so waxy I don't think much of it as a lube and so I tend to use it on low velocity bullets that I can treat roughly. That is, I'll size a bucket of wadcutters and just throw them in coffee can in the attic. I know in two years I can come back and the orange magic will be right wear I left it.

fryboy
02-22-2016, 10:48 AM
My favorite aspect of it was the high melt temp ( my summers are brutal ) like most so called crayon lubes it seemed ( for me ) to do best at either end of the spectrum and not so good anywhere else,unaltered it also worked better for me in my summer
Just adding some Vaseline or lanolin helped it in the winter here but the winter blend didn't do as well in my summer,I had pretty much gave up on it in favor of the smellier,softer,nasty super moly lube ( which in my humble opinion covered the low to mid velocity loads better )
Curious how it works for you !

georgerkahn
02-22-2016, 12:37 PM
I was gifted a couple of tubes of Orange Magic and held off using them until -- oops -- I ran out of all else. I did have to raise the Variac dial for both the heater under my Lyman 450, and, the Magma Star heater -- but, by golly I've had nothing but joy using this product. Perhaps I'm lucky, or it works for my applications. I use it for medium-speed centerfire rifle (.30wcf, 32 win sp, 35 Rem), as well as some pistol rounds. I get a nice lub star at muzzle, and the boxed lub'd bullets are not sticky; minimal, if at all, leading. Best of all, again for me, is I forever would have "proper heat" challenges -- either the lub would not be hot enough to flow, or I'd make a mess. Not with Orange Magic. My dad used to say the reason there are 147 different brands of beer on the shelves at market is because there are 147 different groups of people, each preferring THEIR favorite brand. Perhaps there is a similarity re brands of lub? I'm not even suggesting Orange Magic as "good", or "better" than others -- just, that it has worked well for me.
geo

OS OK
02-22-2016, 12:47 PM
Well you can name this new lube…'Rosie'.