PDA

View Full Version : My New Mold

Southern Son
04-29-2008, 07:45 AM
I finally got to try my new mold from Steve Brooks. I got one of his Creedmore molds with the first 3 bands under bore size so I can pack a bit of extra powder in the case (45/70). From my making payment to recieving the mold was less than 3 weeks, which is fantastic considering it went from USA to Oz after he made it. What has left me really disappointed is that my Lee 4-20 pot decided to try and burn down my house, and now won't hold temperature, meaning I can't get in and make more of these boolits. I kept the boolits in the order that they were cast, and when I put them on my scales, you can watch how as the lead got hotter, the boolits got heavier. Then as the lead cooled, they got lighter again. When I weigh the boolits one after the other, they are always within 3/10ths of a grain, but over 60 boolits, because of my freaky lead pot, they vary quite a bit.

This game can be so frustrating. Finally I get a great boolit mold, and my lead pot carks it.:groner:

Jon K
04-29-2008, 08:45 AM
Southern son,

Waage #4757 25lb pot..................

Jon

wonderwolf
04-29-2008, 03:02 PM
Pictures of mold and resulting boolits? I would like to obtain a nice grooved bullet mold in the 500+gr region for my 45-70 but right now I have paper patched boolits to work with in mine. I'm very curious to see how well they shoot.

mcassill6933
05-02-2008, 09:02 AM
I have a Brooks mould for my 50-90; they just don't get any better than that. Have heard good things about the Wagge. I use a gas plumber's furnace; stick a lead thermometer on one side and it is very easy to keep temp regulated within a VERY narrow range with quick tweaks of the gas knob.
Mark

Southern Son
05-04-2008, 06:09 AM
Wonderwolf,
Mate, I am keen to seen how they shoot. I spent all yesterday loading 50 rounds of 45/70 with black powder. I had to reset all my dies because the new mold drops a boolit with the first 3 bands reduced to under bore size, which leaves only about .235 of an inch inside the case (as opposed to more than half an inch for the postell I was using). I can know stuff 75 grains (by weight) of 2f Wano into the case and only need to compress .170 of and inch to fit in a 1/8 grease cookie, a bees wax wad and a .030 LDPE wad. I could probably get a full 80 grains and still have less that .250 compression. Unfortunately, my desire to get to the range was not shared buy anoy other members of the club (it was a long weekend and everyone left town for the weekend). I am not a full member of the club yet and don't have a key. This have left me bummed out. I will try and put a photo of on of the boolits when I can work my camera a bit better (and my computer a whole lot better).

Mcassill, I have heard many good things about the Waage pots. But they don't show any of their lead pots on their website, only solder pots, etc.

Southern Son
05-08-2008, 09:24 AM
I really hope that this is a photo of the boolit that my new mold drops...........

http://://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7359&stc=1&d=1210252810

Southern Son
05-08-2008, 09:25 AM
It Worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wonderwolf
05-08-2008, 10:03 AM
lol nice