PDA

View Full Version : is it necessary?

Went2kck
02-19-2016, 07:59 PM
Is it necessary to clean out all the lube when changing types of lube. I just plink and wonder if it matters.

Hickory
02-19-2016, 08:18 PM
If your a plinker and accuracy is not of great concern, it probably won't matter.
On the other hand if you are getting any sort of leading and want to try a new lube, then I would remove all the old lube from your sizer/luber before using a different lube.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-19-2016, 08:57 PM
I normally do, but I recently changed lubes in my Star lubesizer, and chose to just add my SL68B soap lube on top of Tamarack brand of NRA 50-50. I put a layer of bits and peices of old black lube (ideal brand) in between, so I could see when the lube was changing over, because the lubes are almost the same color. It took about 200 pistol boolits for the black streaks to stop, indicating the lube was completely changed over.

JSnover
02-19-2016, 08:58 PM
Is it necessary to clean out all the lube when changing types of lube. I just plink and wonder if it matters.
Nope, doesn't matter unless you're making some other changes, like smokeless to black and even then it may not make much difference.

runfiverun
02-19-2016, 09:15 PM
you'll have a layer of the new lube in there in about 10 shots so I wouldn't worry about it.
sometimes I switch lubes without even knowing it when I shoot, and I might even throw some plated or jacketed in the mix.
today I was shooting up a bunch of whatever loads some were plated some were cast and some were jacketed.
I probably shot 8-9 different lubes down the pipe.
I had a flyer or two [more like 20] and I wiggle like crazy but the core group was still clustered in a 3" area.
I just finished up with my normal lube and called it a day.

takasaki
02-22-2016, 06:14 AM
When i was lubing my bullets with my lyman lubesizer i never worried about it, now i pc everything.

Hickory
02-22-2016, 07:18 AM
R5R, I see you got promoted to super moderator.

runfiverun
02-22-2016, 01:25 PM
yeah someone had to do it.
we will probably get another one down the road a little way's.
the pay decrease was worth it.:lol:

vzerone
02-22-2016, 04:43 PM
I'm with 5R5 on this. The bore in the rifle after all isn't a cast iron skillet that needs seasoning. I don't buy into that seasoning thing. I had a friend tell me that it takes about 200 shots to season the barrel with a new lube. I just looked at him.

gwpercle
02-22-2016, 04:59 PM
I don't . I just drop the new stick in when the old one runs out. Being a frugal type I don't waste much of anything. Sometimes the colors are funny, but once loaded , no one sees them.

dverna
02-23-2016, 07:19 PM
I normally do, but I recently changed lubes in my Star lubesizer, and chose to just add my SL68B soap lube on top of Tamarack brand of NRA 50-50. I put a layer of bits and peices of old black lube (ideal brand) in between, so I could see when the lube was changing over, because the lubes are almost the same color. It took about 200 pistol boolits for the black streaks to stop, indicating the lube was completely changed over.

that is an excellent idea

Don Verna