PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Commemorative?

crabo
04-28-2008, 11:57 PM
A friend of mine has a Canadian Commemorative 30/30 with a 25 or 26 octagon barrel.

Are these worth anything more than as a shooter?

Crabo

onceabull
04-29-2008, 12:48 AM
Crabo..Mine (rifle) spent two days on the table at last gunshow here.. Lots of lookers/handlers,no buyers at $495..(No Box ,No Sleeve, NO hangtag,otherwise like new..) so,I'd say..shooter value only..Will Take the carbine along next time,and try to move the set.. Onceabull

Last Spike
05-01-2008, 05:25 AM
You're right - worth nothing more than a shooter. some 89 thousand rifles were made (the ones with the 26 inch barrel) and 9 thousand of the carbines (20 inch barrel) were made.

I do have one of the carbines I plan to take to the shooting range to see how it performs with cast.

jlchucker
05-01-2008, 08:59 AM
Back in the era of that rifle Winchester was "commemorating" everything they could think of, as fast as they could come up with a cosmetic design--some not unattractive, but most were downright Madison-Avenue tacky. While a few versions ended up some collector value, most didn't. Winchester was making their own barrels then, in New Haven. For all of the flaws that the post 64 94's of that era had, the barrels were generally excellent. Most of those commemoratives, as well as the "classic" models, that ended up with no collector value turned out to be great shooters. My own "classic" 94 rifle is capable of sub-one inch groups from a rest at 100 yd. Cast boolets of course, in my -pre-bifocal eyeglass era.

pietro
05-01-2008, 06:01 PM
They probably appeal more to Canadians than Americans, but I like them regardless - How else to get virtually a new classic rifle, comlete with engraving and (usually) nice wood, and special barrel lengths, for about half or less the money it would take to get an original model.

castshooter-too
05-01-2008, 10:55 PM
I have the Canadian Centennial with the 26" bbl. and it's accuracy is all
that could be asked for. To me its greatest virtue is steady holding,
low noise, and long sight radius when installed with a good peep sight
like the all steel early model Lyman 66. Likes the RCBS 180 FNGC. with
H414 at 34grs.

BRUCE

Brownie
05-02-2008, 06:34 PM
I just bought a canadian centenial 30-30 with a 26" octagon barrel. it has been fired but is like new condition. $375.00 from our local gun store. I bought it to shoot cast bullets.
:castmine: