PDA

View Full Version : Priming tools

Sasquach
02-19-2016, 10:02 AM
What are your recommendations and experience with priming tools. Just bought a Lee Ergo-prime. Real piece of ****. Would not recommend it. Are there any out there that work well?

Jersey Joe
02-19-2016, 10:07 AM
RCBS Universal works well for me.

jmort
02-19-2016, 10:11 AM
Try this upgrade for your Ero Prime first. I have good results with the RCBS Automatic Primer bench mounted unit. Lee has a new bench mounted primer that has just come out.

XR/ERGO TRAY UPDATE

http://leeprecision.com/images/P/90794.jpg

New style XR Small and Large adapters and one folding primer tray [patent pending]

Details

SKU

MSRP:
$10.00

Options

Quantity
out of stock,
contact dealer (http://leeprecision.net/support/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/377/3/online-lee-distributors) for availability

Don Fischer
02-19-2016, 12:09 PM
Well saw a video of it and can't say I'm impressed. I've been using the Lee auto prime since it came out and never a problem with it. The one I have is my second. Somehow, a friend that borrowed the first one managed to break it. That was well over 20yrs ago. Replaced it and never a problem again.

jmort
02-19-2016, 12:40 PM
I had 10 Auto Primes at one point. That round tray unit was perfect in my opinion. I still have around 5 or 6 as I gave some away. You can replace the round tray plastic "glass" with the Lee 1000 primer replacement glass, but Lee will never tell you that, just like they say the XR handles won't work, not, they will work as replacement handles.

Lead Fred
02-19-2016, 01:31 PM
If it says Lee, its lower end, period.

The RCBS bench model is the bomb. Bought mine used 20 years ago. Still working great

mdi
02-19-2016, 01:50 PM
Good opportunity for the Lee Haters to come out and spew their sh*!. I presently have three hand priming tools and the Lee Ergo. does just as good a job as my Hornady tool and an older Lee hand primer. FWIW, hand priming tools aren't for everyone. I haven't found any (Lee, Hornady, RCBS) that "fit" my hand. I have to "reset" the tool in my hand after every squeeze. Every hand priming tool I've tried had had an occasional "hic-up" and none stood out as any better than the others. Personally I went to a ram prime type several years ago and found the seating easier, and more precise/repeatable than any hand unit, and my fingers never ramp after 100 primes...

BTW; I'm a life long machinist mechanic and do know how to use hand tools. Been doing it since I was 8 yrs. old (now 69)...

jmort
02-19-2016, 01:50 PM
"If it says Lee, its lower end, period."

If you are completely ignorant of the product in question, then why not just state, "The RCBS bench model is the bomb" and leave it at that, as you are clueless otherwise. I have two RCBS Automatic Primers, which are the bench mounted tools, actually mine are on Ultra Mounts. They do work well, but nothing is faster/better than the Lee Auto Primes. Just blathering on makes no sense, and is not useful, especially the gratuitous, categorical, ignorant, bashing of a loyal site sponsor.

And yes the "Ram Primes" are great as well. Slower, but exact. I have a couple from Lee Precision and a couple from CH4D.

PB234
02-19-2016, 03:02 PM
Lee hand prime = good equipment. Inexpensive and works great. How do you beat that? Really like CH4D equipment but mostly too cheap to buy it since I don't need it, but if it turned up cheap on fleabay ...

Some other Lee equipment gets used by me even though I have more expensive stuff from other manufacturers. It is often good stuff at a low price point and I would not hesitate to buy it.

Maybe I'll take a look at the Lee Auto Primes. Just getting lazy I guess.

noisewaterphd
02-19-2016, 03:04 PM
Sinclair Hand Priming Tool, or 21st Century hand priming tool are my 2 favorite, and IMO the best you can buy.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloading-equipment/priming-tools/hand-tools/sinclair-priming-tool-prod37732.aspx

http://www.21stcenturyshooting.com/Priming_Tool.php

chsparkman
02-19-2016, 03:37 PM
I have several different kinds, and all work reasonably well. My favorite, however, is the RCBS handheld priming tool that uses the APS strips. None ever get spilled and I can sit in my easy chair and prime several hundred cases very efficiently.

Idz
02-19-2016, 03:39 PM
I've had no problems with the Lee priming tools. If you can 'feel' when the tool isn't working correctly and stop and fix the problem they work great. Some people lack a mechanical touch and have difficulty with even premium tools, but maybe they should reconsider a reloading hobby.

spfd1903
02-19-2016, 03:43 PM
The Lee Auto prime is a great tool. When my step-son got into re-loading, the Auto-prime had been dis-continued, so he had to get the Ergo-prime. I tried his a couple times, and while they solved the problem of putting a barrier between the primer action and the magazine tray, the step action from the tray to the priming rod caused a lot of mis-positioned primers and difficulty in getting into a rhythm. I have bought up any "used" Auto-primes I have ever seen in the Gun stores I frequent, so I have a lot of spare parts. Also have the RCBS hand primer which is well made, and is used for any CCI primers which are warned against in the Auto-prime instruction sheet.

roysha
02-19-2016, 03:46 PM
"If it says Lee, its lower end, period."

If you are completely ignorant of the product in question, then why not just state, "The RCBS bench model is the bomb" and leave it at that, as you are clueless otherwise. I have two RCBS Automatic Primers, which are the bench mounted tools, actually mine are on Ultra Mounts. They do work well, but nothing is faster/better than the Lee Auto Primes. Just blathering on makes no sense, and is not useful, especially the gratuitous, categorical, ignorant, bashing of a loyal site sponsor.

And yes the "Ram Primes" are great as well. Slower, but exact. I have a couple from Lee Precision and a couple from CH4D.

Nonsense! I'll put my RCBS automatic bench priming tool against virtually anything out there for comparison at any level, speed, accuracy, convenience, reliability, and especially longevity.

I assume from that, one should support the company regardless of one's feeling about their product. I have a lot of LEE stuff but I gave up on their priming junk years ago.

Idz
02-19-2016, 03:52 PM
I don't see anything about primer brand restrictions in my Lee hand primer (XR & ERGO) instructions. On their press mounted priming tools they do say use only CCI or Winchester and never Federal primers.

robg
02-19-2016, 04:30 PM
I've used Lee auto prime round tray since 82 .I broke the arm on it 10years ago bought another ,got a replacement arm ,set one for small the other for large no problem since.I like the feel for seating primers .

Poygan
02-19-2016, 04:57 PM
I really like the Lee auto prime system. I have one set up for small primers and one for large primers. I've been using them for years. I like the "feel" that they provide. I broke one once - it was my fault so I bought another. I believe they provide excellent value for the money.

georgerkahn
02-19-2016, 05:31 PM
I am a strong supporter of the RCBS bench priming tool. It is quick, constant, and --for me -- I've never had any problems. Specially in loading for gas guns, primer depth is critical! Not seated totally, I have read, may be a cause of slam fires. In addition to the RCBS, Darrel Holland (Holland Shooting Supply) makes an purveys either a modified RCBS -- or a kit to modify your RCBS bench prim45 -- which even includes a dial indicator to enable your reading your primer seating consistency and depth. (I have the kit) GREAT tools, and -- for me -- the ONLY way to go in seating primers. I am noting, too, that I uni-formalize the pockets and de-burr flash holes, too.
BEST!
geo
PS: Holland's URL is https://www.hollandguns.com/

Mk42gunner
02-19-2016, 05:57 PM
I have used the primer seating arm on RCBS and Lee single stage presses. They worked, but I never had the primer tubes fo rthe RCBS's.

Dillon SDB and 550B occasionally had issues with the primer seating either backwards or sideways. May have been an adjustment issue.

Back in the early 1990's when I was a single sailor living on board ship or in the barracks, I had a chance to try various loading tools at friends houses. The Lee auto prime didn't fit my hand very well, while the RCBS hand priming tool did. I bought one at a gun show and have used it ever since.

I have not tried any of the bench mounted, ram prime units, or the newer hand priming tools.

Robert

Green Frog
02-19-2016, 07:44 PM
I don't have a single favorite, but for pistols and revolvers I tend to go to the old original Lee Auto prime (aluminum body, screw-in shell holders) pretty often or to the Lyman 310 tool's priming die. For rifles, I usually use the old Jake Simmons copy of the one made by Harry Pope around the turn of the last century. I miss Jake and am sorry he is no longer with us, not just because of the loss of this re- and de- (as we refer to them.)

Froggie

PS The current Sinclair seems to do a really good job of repriming... and they are sure stout!

dragon813gt
02-19-2016, 08:42 PM

The RCBS bench model is the bomb. Bought mine used 20 years ago. Still working great

Six posts and the Lee bashing begins. I will never understand this.

I have every version of the Lee hand held tools. Even the original version w/ no tray and screw in shell holders. They all work. The discontinued round tray version was the best. The new ones are a little quirky but do work.

Any tool that uses primer tubes is not faster than the Lee offerings. You have to fill the tubes which take time. And I'm not a fan of stacking primers in tubes.

I prime 99% on press. This is with either a Safety Prime or on a Dillon 550B. Like I said, I hate primer tubes so the Dillon setup does bother me. But I deal w/ them because of the production.

David2011
02-19-2016, 10:35 PM

I'm not a fan of every Lee product but they make plenty of good items. I have a number of their die sets and they all produce accurate ammunition.

I have used the primer seating arm on RCBS and Lee single stage presses. They worked, but I never had the primer tubes fo rthe RCBS's.

Dillon SDB and 550B occasionally had issues with the primer seating either backwards or sideways. May have been an adjustment issue.

Robert

Could be the primers too. The late CCIs in the dark blue/black package run much better in my Dillons than other primers. I've tried the older CCI, Federal, Remington and Winchester and none run as smoothly as the new style CCI.

Six posts and the Lee bashing begins. I will never understand this?

Maybe they were afraid to try the good stuff.

David

Le Loup Solitaire
02-19-2016, 10:55 PM
I use the Lyman 310 tool priming arrangement....one at a time...slow but no problems. Also the Lee one at a time ram prime. Also slow by some current standards, but no cocked primers or blowups. Just not in a hurry or worry about anything going wrong....not a fan of stacked primers or trays full of primers staring at me. Nothing to bash or downplay. LLS

rancher1913
02-19-2016, 11:47 PM
I love my old style (round hopper) auto prime, the new style (square hopper) not so much, it still does a good job but the fit and function has gone down hill.

Hick
02-19-2016, 11:50 PM
I've primed thousands of cases using my RCBS hand priming tool, and it barely shows wear. I haven't tried any others because it works so well

big bore 99
02-20-2016, 01:47 AM
I just bought the Lee Ram Prime for a single stage press. Works great for me. Not fast, but neither am I anymore.

MT Chambers
02-20-2016, 01:51 AM
I have many priming options but prefer priming on my Coax or Lyman 310 tool, but I don't look for speed in my priming.
I believe some one blew things up priming with a Lee press and Lee blamed Federal, which is of course nonsense.

trails4u
02-20-2016, 02:04 AM
I'll shout out for the RCBS hand priming tool as well. I use it for anything I'm doing in volume...and it's nice to be able to sit in my fat boy chair and get something done while watching a movie, etc. I use a Lee Classic Turret for most of my more accurate rifle stuff, and will prime on the press when doing that. I'm weighing charges when loading for accuracy...so I have time to prime on the go. They both have good feel in my opinion.....ya just have to pay attention to what you're doing.

wawoodwa
02-20-2016, 11:47 AM
Hello MT, the explanation in the Lee book regarding primers and not using Federal in quantity on the machine is due to explosive force if a kaboom event occurs. They reached out to a friend, a retired CCI guy, regarding primer mixtures. He stated one is called "basic" and the other "normal". He states "The primers that use 'basic compound' must not be used in Lee priming tools because an accidental discharge is very violent. The 'normal compound' is less violent and causes little damage to the tool." Evidently Federal uses the basic mixture. Not defending the non-use of Federal in Lee tools that hold many primers at once, just reporting what I read.

OS OK
02-20-2016, 01:45 PM
161427 Here's the forerunner to the 'ergo'…little piece of radiator hose to fit it to my large paws.

The RCBS got the radiator hose treatment to cushion that narrow handle in my palm.
Sometimes 'tools' require adjustment to get them like you want them to operate…sometimes not.

What I like about both of these is that when I remove the case I can feel the primer with my left index finger and tell automatically whether or not it is flush or 'properly inset'. I do that without even looking at them and in the next microsecond that case is tossed into the container and I'm reaching for a new case.
Works fine for an 'old fart' like me…you younger fellas oughta do just fine also…patience and good methodology go a long way…see a problem…stop a second or two and fix it!

it's…OS OK

John Boy
02-20-2016, 03:37 PM
Just bought a Lee Ergo-prime. Real piece of ****.
Sasquach ... "Real piece of ****" doesn't explain Squat! What doesn't you or the primer do correctly to get a "****" rating?

Bayou52
02-24-2016, 08:42 AM
What are your recommendations and experience with priming tools. Just bought a Lee Ergo-prime. Real piece of ****. Would not recommend it. Are there any out there that work well?

My favorite primer is a hand primer that sadly is no longer in production. It's the RCBS Posi-Prime. It has been out of production for several decades now. It is smooth to operate and had a great feel to it.

Bayou52

bedbugbilly
02-25-2016, 12:00 PM
I use a Lee ergo hand primer for all of my priming - both pistol and rifle. I've never had an issue with the primer and as mentioned, you develop a feel for it just like you have to for any hand primer. I use some Lee things as well as other manufacturers . . . no manufacturer produces a complete line of reloading equipment that is 100% "perfect". If you ask 10 different people their opinions of a product - you'll get 10 different answers. Different strokes for different folks as they say . . . .

Ken in Iowa
02-25-2016, 02:07 PM
RCBS hand primer for me. The current production style anyway. I found holding the tool in my left hand works well for me.

I have broken several Lee hand primer handles over the years. I have heard the ergo prime is better than the old Lee tools but I have not tried one.

TNsailorman
02-26-2016, 03:53 PM
I am an old dinosaur and I prime by hand without the tray. One primer at a time, seat slowly--turn 180 degrees--slowly seat again. I uniform each and every primer pocket when I get a case, whether new or used. I have 4 RCBS Posi-Primes and that is what I use mostly. But I have several of the old Lee screw shell holder types and use them also, but mostly on pistol/revolver cases as well as the 30-30 win.. I have found the RCBS unit to be the best I have ever used. It is made of good solid metal. The old Lee would be my favorite except it is made with cheap pot metal and the handle, seat stem or both either wear out fairly quick or breaks. If lee had just made the old screw shell holder type with a good grade of steel instead of pot metal, I would prefer it over anything out there today. I really like some of the Lee stuff but some of it I will not buy. I have a very expensive Sinclair hand primer and it almost never gets used. It is a great unit but also overpriced for the job. I started out loading with Lee equipment back around 1959 and it was the only thing I could afford at the time. I will always be grateful to lee for being there when I needed them. I am not a Lee basher but neither am I a flag waver for any other company. I just state my experience with equipment and let it go at that. Your results may be different from mine and that is ok with me. james

Shawlerbrook
02-26-2016, 06:24 PM
Another vote for the RCBS Bench mounted priming tool !

dancingbear41
02-26-2016, 06:36 PM
I have four Lee hand primers. I have broken a couple in the past. Lee stuff is good for the price but it is possible to wear out some of their cast parts. I use these the most. I have a Lee ram-prime, an RCBS Posi-prime, an RCBS bench primer tool and a Forster bench primer tool. They all get used at different times. The Lees get used most.

John Boy
02-26-2016, 10:05 PM
Six posts and the Lee bashing begins. I will never understand this.
Dragon - couldn't agree with you more and this OP makes a hit & run post and has never replied to ...

Sasquach ... "Real piece of ****" doesn't explain Squat! What doesn't you or the primer do correctly to get a "****" rating?
So IMO, he goes in the bucket with the other reloaders using Lee products that don't know what they are doing wrong - not the fault of the Lee products!

Green Frog
02-27-2016, 11:07 AM
Dragon - couldn't agree with you more and this OP makes a hit & run post and has never replied to ...

So IMO, he goes in the bucket with the other reloaders using Lee products that don't know what they are doing wrong - not the fault of the Lee products!

Well, this one thread inspired more responses than his total post count. I don't know what that means, but there it is. The one big truth that has emerged from this is that perfection is in the eye of the beholder, at least as far as priming tools go. Each of us who have actually tried a variety of the available tools have gone in a variety of directions based on many factors. I'll go out on a limb here and say that there is no single answer to the question, "What is the best priming tool?" and we can each make up our own minds by trial and error and pick what is best for us, but we can take input and suggestions from those with actual experience. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Froggie

VHoward
02-27-2016, 12:35 PM
I have the Lee Ergo Prime. It mostly works except for the occasional jamb. That was an annoyance enough for me to put it back in it's box and put it on the shelf. I bought an RCBS bench mounted automatic priming tool and like it much better. I only prime off press for my large rifle reloading which I do on my Lee Classic Cast single stage. My pistol reloading is done on my XL650 and I prime on it. I have tried a lot of Lee equipment and what I didn't like either got sold on ebay or shelved.

Sasquach
02-27-2016, 04:56 PM
Not bashing Lee products. Just the Ergo Prime. Primers would get turned sidewise and jam. The "elevator" would stick and not go back into position. Bought it on ebay and returned it. Overly complicated for what it does. Have one of the older ones and it works with no trouble but is a little hard on the hands. Thought this might help, but not.

John Boy
02-27-2016, 05:50 PM
I have the Lee Ergo Prime. It mostly works except for the occasional jamb. That was an annoyance enough for me to put it back in it's box and put it on the shelf. VHoward, my experience & tip with the Lee XR & possibly with the Ergo because it is the same design as the XR except for the handle ...to make them work perfectly. Put the plastic cover on the primer tray with the primers on the tray. Bring the hand primer up to eye ball level. Does the clear plastic cover lay completely tight on the tray? Probably not and is the reason for the primer jams. My XR had a space between the black tray & the plastic cover causing primer jams. So I took a metal hinged paper fastner and clamped the cover down tight to the tray - works perfectly. Also contacted Lee with the issue - they sent me a new plastic cover and the same space existed. Have they changed the design of the plastic cover how it attaches to the tray? Unknown but my XR works perfectly with zero primer jams. Never had this issue with the discontinued round tray except the handle arm snapping because it was made with pot metal. But Lee sent me new ones every time I called
So ... my XR primes like a champion now with zero jams and Sasquach your Ergo will too!

MT Chambers
02-27-2016, 06:52 PM
I liked the Lee "Zip Trim" so much that I converted one to prime, just pull the string and you're good to go!

VHoward
02-27-2016, 07:16 PM
VHoward, my experience & tip with the Lee XR & possibly with the Ergo because it is the same design as the XR except for the handle ...to make them work perfectly. Put the plastic cover on the primer tray with the primers on the tray. Bring the hand primer up to eye ball level. Does the clear plastic cover lay completely tight on the tray? Probably not and is the reason for the primer jams. My XR had a space between the black tray & the plastic cover causing primer jams. So I took a metal hinged paper fastner and clamped the cover down tight to the tray - works perfectly. Also contacted Lee with the issue - they sent me a new plastic cover and the same space existed. Have they changed the design of the plastic cover how it attaches to the tray? Unknown but my XR works perfectly with zero primer jams. Never had this issue with the discontinued round tray except the handle arm snapping because it was made with pot metal. But Lee sent me new ones every time I called
So ... my XR primes like a champion now with zero jams and Sasquach your Ergo will too!
The cover on the primer tray would lift up and that is when the jambs would occur. Taped it down and that doesn't happen. The binder clip would have worked easier, but I didn't think of it. Looks like Lee has made an effort to fix the problem with this: http://leeprecision.com/new-style-replacement-small-large-trays-covers.html . The new hand priming tool made after January 2016 are now shipped with this new updated tray and primer punch assembly. The update kit is only $10, so I may get one and try it out. I have heard that the old round trays will fit the new primer punch assembly so that could be an option.

VHoward
02-27-2016, 07:50 PM
I just ordered the update kit from Titan. $8 + $7.30 for shipping. I happen to have a round primer tray. I will try it and see if it fits. Never had any problem with that lid lifting.

John Boy
02-27-2016, 09:54 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51t92NnvjnL._SY355_.jpg

Can buy a lot of binder clips for 8 bucks! [smilie=1:

I never had a problem with the round tray hand primer either!

VHoward
02-27-2016, 10:21 PM
I'm one of those people who think things should work without modification. The upgrade kit lets you prime without adding another step like attaching a binder clip or 2. I just let people know it was available if they were interested.

fast ronnie
02-28-2016, 01:52 AM
I had a Lee hand primer and someone borrowed it. They must not have remembered where they got it. I bought an rcbs auto bench primer. I'm glad that someone borrowed the other one, and I hope they don't remember where they got it.

Ron

Sasquach
02-28-2016, 01:56 PM
The Ergo Prime must have a problem with the primer tray as they sell them in package of two. The hinge probably lets go after a while. I sent the agravating thing back and got my money back. Enough problems without having to put bandaids on their screw ups.

44magLeo
02-28-2016, 05:26 PM
I don't see how you can break the Lee lever. You must be using a lot of force when priming.
As far as wearing out a drop of oil on the hinge pints keeps things from wearing.
One thing I didn't like about the Auto Prime was using my thumb on the lever. A bit tiring.
The Ergo Prime I use my fingers on the lever. Much less tiring.
When I started I used an RCBS Rock Chucker press with the press mounted primer. Even with mods to the tube it was slow to use.
This was about 1978. I got the Lee Auto Prime and never regretted it.
I have bought Lee loader kits with the priming tool included, works very well.
I have Lyman 310 tools that prime very well.
I have been thinking of getting Lee's bench mounted primer tool. Looks like a winner. I may get the up graded tray kits first though.
Leo

alamogunr
02-28-2016, 06:08 PM
I've got the RCBS hand priming tool and the automatic priming tool. The hand priming tool I got as a freebe for something I bought or subscribed to. Wasn't expecting much and got a lot. Bought the auto tool from a member here and use it most. I have never used a press mounted priming attachment.

I've never used a Lee priming tool but if one dropped in my lap, I wouldn't throw it out without trying it.

John Boy
02-28-2016, 06:59 PM
The Ergo Prime must have a problem with the primer tray as they sell them in package of two. Yep, the 2 trays are marked Small and Large ! Note the words small & large! Because the 2 different primers are made differently in size! :holysheep

Install appropriate primer tray and cover (small or large). The tray is marked on the bottom as small or large, and the cover is marked small or large above the safety glass warning.
Sasquach, are you an experienced or inexperienced reloader?
Because your inexperience is showing. BTW, when you sent the hand primer back, did you tell them it was a "Real piece of ****" ?

Sasquach
02-28-2016, 09:25 PM
As a matter of fact,I did. If that is the case, why did it only come with one? Do you work for Lee?

John Boy
02-29-2016, 12:37 AM
Do you work for Lee?
Wish I did! The amount of Lee products I've paid for in addition to their molds, if I worked there no doubt I'd get discounts ... 97 Lee molds for starters out of 192 in inventory. One can never have too many molds for my different calibers including sets of dies, etc!

I cast - reload and shoot black powder & smokeless pre and post the year 1900 caliber long arms, from 22 rim fire to 50-70 center fire. Primarily single shot rifles in the collection including several late 1800's German Schuetzen rifles of metric calibers

alamogunr
02-29-2016, 01:27 AM
I cast - reload and shoot black powder & smokeless pre and post the year 1900 caliber long arms, from 22 rim fire to 50-70 center fire. Primarily single shot rifles in the collection including several late 1800's German Schuetzen rifles of metric calibers

Now I'm beginning to get envious. Things like that just don't exist around here.

wonderwolf
02-29-2016, 11:33 AM
Lee is fantastic especially for those with some mechanical know-how and ingenuity. I've had issues with RCBS bench priming units as well as the priming unit occasionally on my Lee loadmaster but its rare. The RCBS needs to be cleaned about every 500 rounds and the arm bolt or whatever tends to work loose as well about every 100 rounds. I should drill it for a set screw or loctite it in place really as I'm sure that would cure it. Sometimes the priming stem gets hung up and on what I'm clueless because I've gone over it a dozen times, wonder if i should lap it in [smilie=p:

Short of it is everybody makes good and bad stuff...RCBS does and lee does. Lee has made some products that I'm flat out IN LOVE WITH....they think outside the box but yes at times it does seem like their thinkers are the better part of the company and their production and QC could use a boost.

mdi
02-29-2016, 01:48 PM
Hmmm. In my reloading experiences, 30 years worth, I have found no hand priming tool works correctly 100% of the time. Most, including the Lee tools I've tried have small "glitzes" at one time or another. For every 1 unsatisfied user, there will be 100 that report "no problems" with any make of hand priming tool...

BTW the two trays I got with my Last Lee tool designated "Large" and "Small", so I figger one is for large primers and one is for small primers...:?:

Sasquach
02-29-2016, 03:05 PM
I agree, My old Lee had two trays. Large and small. The Ergo had only one and the way it was boxed from the factory, there was not room for another tray. Makes me think they intended you to use the same one for both. There was two "elevators", or what ever they call them, large and small. But only one tray.

roysha
02-29-2016, 03:36 PM
Well, this one thread inspired more responses than his total post count. I don't know what that means, but there it is. The one big truth that has emerged from this is that perfection is in the eye of the beholder, at least as far as priming tools go. Each of us who have actually tried a variety of the available tools have gone in a variety of directions based on many factors. I'll go out on a limb here and say that there is no single answer to the question, "What is the best priming tool?" and we can each make up our own minds by trial and error and pick what is best for us, but we can take input and suggestions from those with actual experience. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Froggie

How dare you inject common sense and rational thought into this "discussion"?

Green Frog
02-29-2016, 08:02 PM
How dare you inject common sense and rational thought into this "discussion"?

Sorry, I forgot myself for a moment there. It won't happen again... I'll be too busy priming cases with my first model Lee, my 310 tool, and my Simmons tool.

Froggie

s1120
03-02-2016, 12:39 PM
The cover on the primer tray would lift up and that is when the jambs would occur. Taped it down and that doesn't happen. The binder clip would have worked easier, but I didn't think of it. Looks like Lee has made an effort to fix the problem with this: http://leeprecision.com/new-style-replacement-small-large-trays-covers.html . The new hand priming tool made after January 2016 are now shipped with this new updated tray and primer punch assembly. The update kit is only $10, so I may get one and try it out. I have heard that the old round trays will fit the new primer punch assembly so that could be an option.

Using mine, I felt it was the jammed primers, that was popping the top, not the other way...

I don't have a ton of experience so take that at face value... But I like the ego prime. It did take a few hundred rounds of 45acp for me to working out the system, and the same when I switched to the small primer tray for 38. I work with temp mounts on a work table, so a bench mount would be a pain in the butt. I have tried priming on my press, but I just don't like the feel of it. So for now the Lee makes me happy.

wonderwolf
03-02-2016, 01:37 PM
Sorry, I forgot myself for a moment there. It won't happen again... I'll be too busy priming cases with my first model Lee, my 310 tool, and my Simmons tool.

Froggie

For the last 2 years I've loaded on a Lee progressive as I've stated above. Got a 310 tool set early last year. Glad I did, my current living situation and job has me living in a very small room...seriously guys in prison have more space than I do. Anyways the 310 tool is all I took with me to load with. I have discovered it loads some very VERY accurate ammo with carefully hand dipped charges. Couldn't be happier with the 310 tongs and the primer set up is slow but who cares..its winter and I have the "Cosmos" series on my laptop to watch...

1bluehorse
03-02-2016, 03:17 PM
The only things I prime "off-press" are rifle rounds. I use an RCBS bench mount unit, it's as "precise" as you can get and of very good quality. I should add that I do uniform all primer pockets before hand. I've seen complaints against primer tubes which are made of aluminum for the most part as being to dangerous, but the same people have no issue with a hand held unit holding a hundred primers in it with nothing between them and the primers but a piece of plastic. :?: I do have, and have used, the Lee Auto-Prime two. It works pretty good for the most part but you must be careful that the primers get "loaded" onto the pin as it's an angled gravity fed system and sometimes fails to fully feed the next primer. All in all I like it, but it's not as good as the RCBS unit. Lee's new bench mount primer system looks like it might be worth while. Hand primers, don't care for them no matter the brand simply because I don't care for them. Have tried a few and gave them away. Doesn't mean they don't work or are bad systems. Also, let's face it, we buy Lee equipment because it's less expensive than other brands. If all brands of reloading equipment were EXACTLY the same price we may not be using as much Lee as we do now. I wouldn't. If my Load Master presses were the same price as an RCBS Pro Chucker 5, I can tell you there would be green presses on my bench..

VHoward
03-04-2016, 05:29 PM
So, I received my update kit today. It comes with one folding primer tray and nowhere on the tray is it marked for either size. It can be used for either size. It comes with 2 primer punch assemblies, one for large primers and one for small primers. I just did 200 cases with the small primers since that was the size I had problems with and it now functions well enough that now my ergo prime will get used instead of setting on the shelf. I do not care for the square folding primer tray design. It is just awkward to say the least and they sell the replacements in packs of 2 because I can see the hinge breaking after many cycles of folding and unfolding. The hinge is just a thin spot in the plastic, not pinned and it will not stay open flat so doing the primer turn shake is a little difficult. Fortunately for me, the old style round primer trays that came with the Loadmaster fit and work just fine on this and I happen to have one. The little elevator shuttle that takes the next primer up to be inserted is made in such a way that only 1 primer at a time goes up, they can't stack on you. I had no issues with turned or flipped or double stacked primers and there was no jambing. I would recommend lubing the primer punch assembly with a light machine oil or Rem Oil. Mine was squeeking, but quieted down after I oiled it. Very much worth the $10 upgrade fee + shipping but would be better if this was added on to a large order to save on shipping.