PDA

View Full Version : Who'da Thought A Primer Change Would..............

sw282
02-19-2016, 12:43 AM
Eliminate barrel leading in my favorite 44 Mag practice load...But it DID..My favorite accuracy/target/plinking load for my 629 Magnum Hunter is a Hensley & Gibbs #503 bullet..Commonly referred to as a 250gr Keith SWC...0f the 6000rds l have fired thru this 629 since new, most have been charged with 7.7gr of PowerPistol or 8gr of Unique... This load has ALWAYS left a little bit of lead in the barrel. No real problem, but maybe an annoyance...Anyway back before Christmas l had to change brands of primers because my old supply ran out...The only ones available were CCI300 LP..Thats what l bought and started using those recently... Monday l went to the range and fired 50 rds with the CCI300s. Came home and was cleaning the gun and noticed the barrel was almost spotless. l thought this was a fluke. So l reloaded those same cases and back to the range l went on Wednesday Came home with a clean barrel again... l would love to try my old brand Remington primers to compare. But l shot them all up before switching to the CCI300s.. Anyone out there had this happen to them??
From my Benchrest days l know primers are a BIG factor.. Had no ldea they could change a 44 plinking load so much.

44man
02-19-2016, 09:26 AM
I have used fed 150's since early 80's and all high velocity .44 loads with 296.
My experiments showed a mag primer will move out a boolit/bullet, before good ignition. I know that affects air space and powder burn and it just might contribute to leading.
Accuracy can increase three fold with a primer change.
You will continue to read that you NEED a mag primer with 296/H110, entirely false based on 81,000 rounds from my gun and countless other .44's.