PDA

View Full Version : Lube question

goste
04-28-2008, 10:28 PM
Ok. I am a EXTREMLY new bullet caster. I got a lot of tips, and was successful in casting 9x18 bullets. :-D

My next question is: I'm about to start casting for another firearm , and was wondering if any of ya'll take into account, barrel heat, when choosing a bullet lube? All of my Boolits cast so far, I have used LLA, and have had good luck. I am wondering if this would work, for a super hot barrel?

Freightman
04-29-2008, 09:48 AM
I have used LLA to 2000 fps and had no problem even got my M1 Garand to 2400 fps and no leading with LLA. So I do not know how hot you are going but LLA has worked for me in most instances, now accuracy might be better with another lube, you have to expierement, half the fun in casting.

Marlin Junky
04-29-2008, 06:34 PM
What do you mean by a super hot barrel? One that will burn skin in less than 1 second? It also depends on how long the round is going to cook in the chamber vs. lounging about in the cool comfort of the magazine. Most of us rifle shooters have a winter and a summer lube but sometimes a round can be chambered in a rifle barrel for up to a minute or more before the trigger is pulled. I'd say try your LLA and if you get leading in spite of correct alloy and bullet fit, then try a bullet that will hold a larger quantity (I'm assuming you're using TL bullets) of a more heat tolerant lube; e.g., one containing Carnauba.

MJ

goste
04-29-2008, 07:13 PM
I don't know how hot this thing get's, but its VERY hot. It's a select fire Ingram....., .45 cal. these have a high rate of fire, (about 900 RPM), and its hard to release the trigger before 5-6rds fire. I'm gonna try to cast for it.

I don't have it yet. Im waiting for my form 4 to come back....

thanks

runfiverun
04-29-2008, 11:56 PM
use a hard lube like jakes or magmas, etc with this one you dont want exposed lube
unless you want a mess in your action, lla might hold up and not smear.

HeavyMetal
04-30-2008, 12:58 AM
I've had some limited experience with the MAC-10! A buddy had a legal one here in CA. He actually bought in in Mississippi and then moved to CA. The local P.D. had a snit!!

Thats a story for another thread. As far as shooting lead in this thing? GO for it!

I had a chance to put about 6 or 7 mags through this thing and it was a blast! It also ate everything! It didn't care: round nose, H&G 68's, rcbs 200 SWC, the old saeco 130 it never failed to function.

4 and 5 shot bursts? Are you high! Full auto means burn a full mag! This was a top 5 moment let me tell you!

O.K. now lets talk about your "heat" problem. If your Ingram is like the MAC -10 it fires from an open bolt. This means a round is never in the chamber unless it's being fired.

As such heat never bothered the rounds in the mag!

I have three things to pass on to you:

1 fun to shoot but wait until you try to size the brass! Do a couple thousand rounds after they've been fired in this thing and you'll have arms that will scare the Gov!

2 Watch out what you lube the action with. LSA worked great until the gun was fired then it was like a shower! Try something a little "pastier" I had a teflon grease and it was the bomb in the MAC!

3 I suspect you may have a similar issue with LLA but won't swear to it. Try it and see but wear eye prtection till you know if and what your spraying!

If you haven't bought a mold for this yet it's a bummer you mised the group buy on the G.I. ball mold. I'd suggest a Lee six banger in the 90289 mold. Again I'm not a fan of LLA biut you can get this boolit profile in the tu8mble lube if you need to.

This profile should feed like you know what through a duck's you know where!

I'll be curious to know how this works out for you, keep us posted.

Dale53
04-30-2008, 01:46 AM
I"ve shot a "Grease Gun" in .45 ACP quite a bit and had NO problems with NRA Alox 50/50 mix.

The same loads worked well in a Thompson, also.

No problems whatsoever!

Dale53

Ricochet
04-30-2008, 10:32 AM
LLA, when well dried, is probably the highest melting common boolit lube. Drop some on your molten lead (or throw in a boolit lubed with it) and it takes a LONG time to burn off, too. (Stinks to high heaven when it burns that way.)

Larry Gibson
04-30-2008, 03:31 PM
I've shot numerous SMGs (.380, 9mm and .45s) with lots of cast bullets. The NRA 50/50 alox/beeswax worked fine in all, even with some pretty hot barrels. I also have shot lots of cast bullets through M2 Carbines on full auto at 1900 fps without problems or leading. I most often use Javelina lube.

Larry Gibson

Castoff
05-07-2008, 09:46 PM
I may be in the wrong forum and if so please advise where to shift to.

I am looking for a recipe for bullet lube, that is cheap to make, and that does not use beeswax.
Nothing against beeswax, it 's just that I cannot easily find it locally.

I know somebody has found a way to make great lube frome commonly available "stuff", and I sure would appreciate hearing about it.
Thanks.

wills
05-07-2008, 09:59 PM
There is good ole reliable Felix Lube, or use the search feature at the top to search for lube reipes.

Ricochet
05-07-2008, 10:21 PM
If getting beeswax is your problem, talk to Randyrat.

utk
05-08-2008, 03:45 AM
I may be in the wrong forum and if so please advise where to shift to.

I am looking for a recipe for bullet lube, that is cheap to make, and that does not use beeswax.
Nothing against beeswax, it 's just that I cannot easily find it locally.

I know somebody has found a way to make great lube frome commonly available "stuff", and I sure would appreciate hearing about it.
Thanks.

In the "Classics & Stickies" section you can find a thread on boolit lubes. This recipe doesn't use beeswax:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=29683

-----------------------------------------------------------
Barry Darr’s Lube
1 lb Paraffin
1 lb Vaseline
2 tablespoons (30 ml) STP Oil Treatment
Modified Barry Darr lube
1 lb. Paraffin
1 lb. Vaselin
No STP