PDA

View Full Version : How to change the sprue plate on Lee mold

NuJudge
10-17-2005, 05:37 PM
I recently bought a Lee .329 mold, and after casting a couple dozen bullets I noticed that I could see light under the sprue plate. It had warped into an arch. I ordered a replacement from Lee at the same time I was ordering a bunch of other stuff. The Phillips headed screw holding the original sprue plate on is TIGHT. Any suggestions on how to get it off without messing the mold up?

I was gentle to the ______ thing. Has anybody else had this happen? [smilie=b:

CDD

imashooter2
10-17-2005, 08:40 PM
The pivot screw on the Lee 1 and 2 cavity molds are either self tapping or put in undersize threads. Use a properly fitting screw driver and muscle it out. You should drill and tap the side of the block for a set screw to keep the pivot from moving when you put it back in.

I've never had a problem with a Lee sprue plate, but my sample size is smaller than that of many others.

SharpsShooter
10-17-2005, 08:54 PM
I would suggest preheating the mould in the same manner you use when perparing to cast. It will turn much easier and you might not have to drill and tap for a set screw.

Regards

Bret4207
10-18-2005, 07:16 AM
If it warped right off the bat, contact Lee and use their warranty. If you try to change the sprue plate and screw up you're out a mould. I'd talk to Lee first.