PDA

View Full Version : Shiloh Sharps 1863 breech-loading cap lock rifle legally permitted?

Naphtali
02-18-2016, 12:12 PM
In Illinois or Wisconsin is the use of a .54-caliber Shiloh Sharps Model 1863 breech-loading cap lock rifle legally permitted for deer and/or black bear hunting?

JoeH
02-18-2016, 12:46 PM
Don't know about special seasons in those states but very specifically not considered a "muzzleloader" in most states which have such a season.

44man
02-18-2016, 02:11 PM
Might be too large a case for the law. Law is kind of stupid anyway since most revolvers shoot as far. Ever see what some new shotgun slugs do?
The law is to limit distance of a round but bureaucrats and politicians that don't know one end of a gun from the other pass them.
Even a ML will shoot a long way and if shot in the wrong direction, never gets safer.
Back in Ohio I heard shotgun slugs whiz through the air a long way from a shooter.
I never understood laws since the shooter must never shoot towards homes or other hunters. To quibble over 1/10" of case length is so stupid.
You have to check to see if what you have is legal no matter how stupid.

44man
02-18-2016, 02:13 PM
Now enter a breech loader when a ML with the same powder charge is legal, see what I mean? I shoot 100 gr of BP with a .54 and for long range I increase to 120 gr. I know your Sharps will not take that much. Mine is legal and yours might get you a ticket.

Frank V
02-18-2016, 02:22 PM
Heck give their FWP offices a call they will probably give you the answers.
I'd ask for the Reg #s too.