PDA

View Full Version : .44 mag/.44 remington mag.... difference

Oklahoma Rebel
02-18-2016, 12:06 PM
might be a stupid question, but im not too stupid not to ask when it comes to reloading. sometimes I see it called .44 magnum, and sometimes I see .44 Remington magnum. is there any difference or is .44 mag just shorthand? thankyou,
Travis

44MAG#1
02-18-2016, 12:12 PM
Seriously?

Mica_Hiebert
02-18-2016, 12:15 PM
It's just short hand, only dumb questions are the ones not asked esp in reloading!

Butler Ford
02-18-2016, 12:28 PM
it's just short hand, only dumb questions are the ones not asked esp in reloading!

^^^this^^^

bf

Oklahoma Rebel
02-18-2016, 12:45 PM
.44 mag #1 , I don't appreciate the reply you gave. you should know that reloading is serious and not asking this question would be like saying .338 lapua and 338 win mag, oh well they both say 338, ill just flip a coin. so don't try to make me feel stupid it aint cool

Oklahoma Rebel
02-18-2016, 12:48 PM
oh, sorry to the others, thank you for the replies and not feeling the need to try to make me feel stupid.
Travis

Magana559
02-18-2016, 12:53 PM
44 rem mag is 44 mag. Don't let the trolls get you down.

rondog
02-18-2016, 12:55 PM
Shorthand, we all do it. Like .38 for .38 Special, .45 for .45 acp, 9mm for 9mm Luger/Parabellum, .30-06 for .30-06 Springfield, .30-30 for .30-30 Winchester, etc. It's easy enough to clarify if there's a question.

But there's also times like .303 British vs. .303 Savage, and so on..... This discussion could go on forever!

bosterr
02-18-2016, 01:28 PM
The .44 Remington Magnum is the result of the collaboration between Smith & Wesson and Remington at the strong urging of Elmer Keith. I don't know why it didn't end up being the .44 Smith & Wesson Magnum. Possibly something as simple as a coin toss?

junkpile
02-18-2016, 01:31 PM
.44 mag #1 , I don't appreciate the reply you gave. you should know that reloading is serious and not asking this question would be like saying .338 lapua and 338 win mag, oh well they both say 338, ill just flip a coin. so don't try to make me feel stupid it aint cool

44MAG#1, the OP had a legitimate question. The O.K. KIDD has been researching a super blackhawk for a while, and obviously has some reloading questions and is newer to the craft. Better to be informed and safe than jump to conclusions and endangering yourself and others.

Anyway, good luck with your loading, OP. Stay safe.

If you're going to do extensive hand loading, might I suggest exploring the 45 Colt? Have you already picked up, or picked out your SBH?

Oklahoma Rebel
02-18-2016, 01:52 PM
thankyou junkpile, its more that I am new to reloading for pistols, still haven't started yet, waiting on a settlement . I have my heart set on a 7.5 ruger SB in 44 mag, I think I like it because the velocity is a little higher and correct me if im wrong, will shoot quite a bit flatter, and ive always wanted a 44 mag. yes I have looked at the 45 colt too, it is tempting, just cuz I like bigger boolits for anything, but I made up my mind. all except wether to get the bisley or standard grips, does pachmeyer make grips for the bisley? thank you very much
Travis

44man
02-18-2016, 03:00 PM
True, the Rem mag is the same as what we all call a .44 mag. Rem developed the round and S&W made a gun to fit. S&W did not develop the round. so it is the .44 Remington magnum.
I see references to it called the S&W .44 mag also. But S&W developed the gun and Rem made the cartridge.

kungfustyle
02-18-2016, 03:49 PM
Not a stupid question at all. There are so many flavors out there its dizzying getting started and much better to ask a question than to disassemble your gun. Things are out there never existed before like a 35-303 etc. Don't take things for granted. ASK.
By the way this company is great for grips http://www.altamontco.com/experimental/products/pistol/ruger/

sixshot
02-18-2016, 04:00 PM
Nobody was born doing this & it only smart to ask Forum members if you have a question about guns, calibers, reloading, etc. Don't feel bad about asking & certainly don't apologize to anyone for not knowing something, we've all been there.
The 44 magnum is a great caliber & will serve you well, you can down load it for a while until you get use to it or you can also use 44 specials in it. Lots of great bullets to choose from. Of course you want to reload if you can, factory ammo can easily run $50 a box so practice is expensive if you buy off the shelf. Good luck!

Dick

cainttype
02-18-2016, 04:24 PM
Asking when you aren't sure is not only intelligent, it also displays quite a bit of common sense... something that isn't always so commonly found.
You did good.

Good luck with your project.

9.3X62AL
02-18-2016, 04:51 PM
Cartridge nomenclature is a confusing, conflicted, daunting subject. The O/P's question is a legitimate one.

One of the better overviews of the subject can be had affordably via a paperback book--"Cartridges of the World".

I have yet to see any mass-produced aftermarket grip sets for the Ruger Bisley revolvers. I REALLY like how the OEM Bisley grips handle recoil for me (357 Mag and 45 Colt so far). I have a 44 Magnum I would like to part with, and its replacement will be a BisHawk in 44 Mag x 7.5".

Oklahoma Rebel
02-18-2016, 07:33 PM
9.3, do the other guns have a 7.5" barrel? if so how does she handle? I am choosing that length for sight radius, and the extra velocity. I wouldn't think it would be too unwieldy, like the 10.5 might be, and also I have had tremors my whole life so the heavier the better, it dampens tthem out, sad thing is I can out shoot most everyone I know, lol just shoot between shakes! thanks to all of the nice and intelligent responses, the ammo world is full of hypocrisies 38 in 357,cool other way, no way 32's aren't .32's,38 is 35 but the 35 rem isn't 38 rem, I could go on but you all know. yeah I do need that cartridges of the world book, along with lymans casting book. right now I only have the 2nd edition lee and an alliance powder booklet. the lee book gets me by, and more importantly, does it safely, but I would like a lot more reference material. when it comes to reading about guns and ammo I am bookworm! thanks
Travis

Hardcast416taylor
02-18-2016, 09:33 PM
I once saw what can happen when there is a lack of communication between a sales clerk and a teen trying to buy some `store bought `ammo. The teen said he needed some 7mm ammo as the story went. The store clerk in all his minimum wage knowledge sold the teen a `box of 7mm`s` as he was said to tell the teen. I happened by their home that night to jaw with his Pa. The teen was sold a box of 7mm Remington Magnums for ammo, the teen was looking for some 7mm Mauser ammo. I went back to the store with the teen and his Father, we had a real nice conversation with that clerk and the store manager. Have as much knowledge as possible when talking about just any cartridge there was ever made to avoid confusion.Robert

alamogunr
02-18-2016, 09:49 PM
Cartridge nomenclature is a confusing, conflicted, daunting subject. The O/P's question is a legitimate one.

One of the better overviews of the subject can be had affordably via a paperback book--"Cartridges of the World".

I have yet to see any mass-produced aftermarket grip sets for the Ruger Bisley revolvers. I REALLY like how the OEM Bisley grips handle recoil for me (357 Mag and 45 Colt so far). I have a 44 Magnum I would like to part with, and its replacement will be a BisHawk in 44 Mag x 7.5".

This may not apply, but I had a .44 Rem. Mag. Super BH with the squared off trigger guard that beat the fire out of my middle knuckle. I finally sent it to Jack Huntington to have it converted to a 5 shot .45 Colt. Included was a reshaping of the trigger guard and especially the grip frame. Now the grip frame resembles the Bisley grip frame but is not exactly like it. He also made the stocks.

I doubt that a full bore conversion would be required for him to take the job and it may be more expensive than selling what you have and buying a Bisley BH. I'm old enough that many things I buy are scheduled to be passed on to my sons so money is not an overriding concern. Although they may prefer the $$, but then I wouldn't get to enjoy it until then.

edp2k
02-18-2016, 10:41 PM
Many times, when a cartridge has gun maker X's name in the cartridge name
(e.g. 44 Remington Magnum or 45 Automatic Colt Pistol [45 ACP])
and gun maker Y makes a gun to take that cartridge, gun maker Y will
slightly modify the cartridge name on the gun's markings to remove the reference to the competing gun manufacturer.

For example, Ruger or Colt may mark their gun "44 Magnum" and drop the Remington reference,
or Glock will mark their gun "45 Auto" and drop the ACP reference, because the C in ACP
stands for Colt.

The correct name for the 30-30 cartridge is 30 WCF (Winchester Center Fire)
however Marlin's are marked "30-30" so they do not have to mention their competor Winchester.

junkpile
02-19-2016, 12:18 AM
thankyou junkpile, its more that I am new to reloading for pistols, still haven't started yet, waiting on a settlement . I have my heart set on a 7.5 ruger SB in 44 mag, I think I like it because the velocity is a little higher and correct me if im wrong, will shoot quite a bit flatter, and ive always wanted a 44 mag. yes I have looked at the 45 colt too, it is tempting, just cuz I like bigger boolits for anything, but I made up my mind. all except wether to get the bisley or standard grips, does pachmeyer make grips for the bisley? thank you very much
Travis

It's a balancing act. I would suggest reading John Linebaugh's articles. There are proponents of both calibers, and both have good reasons. I have my reasons for sticking with the 45 colt, but I'm sure the 44 would suit me just fine if that was the route I had chosen. My main reason for going 45 was the recommendation of John Linebaugh, where he suggests that the 45 can be loaded to essentially the same velocities as the 44, with the same weight bullet, but with less case pressure and less blast. I want good performance, but don't want to punish myself. The difference may me negligible, as I've never measured it.

Anyway, you'll be more than happy with either. The one downfall of the 45 is the fact that I can find components for the 44 a lot more easily around here. And the fact that almost all of the non-Ruger / non-Thompson Center 45 colts can't take the heavy loadings that would compete with the 44.

So, not to ramble, but there's just a lot of options to mull over.

warf73
02-19-2016, 08:21 AM
The O.K. KIDD,
when you do get your pistol give me a PM and I'll send ya a 100 brass on my dime. It's all once fired and IS MIXED manufacture but is good stuff. I purchased 100 once fired off of eBay (tells you how long ago that was) but when I got it, it was in a flat rate box full of 44mag brass. It had a note that said happy birthday, hope you enjoy the brass. I never counted the brass but it was well over 500 pieces and I only used maybe half the box. If you don't mind mixed head stamp I'll send ya 100 pieces to get you started. I also might have an extra set of dies (not 100% sure) IF I do they will be with the brass.

Warf

Pb Burner
02-19-2016, 09:34 AM
Warf, that is an amazing offer to a fellow member and "new" reloader! You are part of what makes this a great site.

44man
02-19-2016, 10:03 AM
My Remlin is marked 30-30 Win.

Philngruvy
02-19-2016, 01:51 PM
I have my heart set on a 7.5 ruger SB in 44 mag Travis

O.K. Kidd, I agree, the Ruger SB is a sweet gun. Have you looked at the Hunter version? It comes with Ruger scope rings which are great. I bought one in 7.5 " barrel and I love it. I mounted a Leupold eer scope on it and it shoots great. 161341

RogerDat
02-19-2016, 02:12 PM
You may not like it if you cross your 45 Colt load data to feed your 45 ACP so yep asking was the right thing to do for the 44 mag.

nagantguy
02-19-2016, 02:44 PM
9x19, 9mm standard 9mm, 9mm luger, 9mm parabellum , 9mm kurtz, 9mm markov, 9mm win mag, 9x23, some are interchangeable some are not, in some cases it may fit but could be dangerous. ...never hurts to ask....better to ask and be thought a fool than blow your hands off and erase any doubt.

9.3X62AL
02-19-2016, 03:12 PM
Kidd--

Both of my current BisHawks have 7.5" barrels, and the prospective 44 caliber edition will be likewise. 7.5" is about as long a barrel as I care for on a handgun, and most of my sideiron has 4"-5" barrels. 5.5" to 7.5" is more specialized for target or hunting applications, to me anyway. Other folks have differing ideas about what is best for them, and their views are just as valid as mine are (or aren't). Barrel length is a pretty subjective subject.

Oklahoma Rebel
02-19-2016, 07:55 PM
warf, that is a super nice gesture, I appreciate it. can I add you to my friends so I can remember when I do get it? if I have anything I can think of to help you buy then ill let you know, right now I just have a bare bones 45-70 setup , lee dies and two single cavity molds.lol thanks
travis

warf73
02-19-2016, 10:46 PM
np KIDD
yes you can add me :)

denul
02-20-2016, 01:04 AM
I remember Warf very patiently honchoing several Lee GB's a few years back,and then later offering to help out after the fire at White Label. Class act, hard to follow, but I'll try to emulate his example here.
Kidd, if you are all set when the 44 shows up,that's fine, but if you need them, I could spare a hundred or so cast Boolits to get you started.I have some Mihec 503 Keith 250 SWCs, and LBT 280 LFNs. No charge,and I'll cover shipping,if you PM me an address.

Don Purcell
02-21-2016, 09:24 PM
Not much different than if you hear .45 Colt and .45 Long Colt. Same cartridge but enough to throw a new person. Keep your powder dry Kidd.

Whistler
02-22-2016, 06:19 AM
9x19, 9mm standard 9mm, 9mm luger, 9mm parabellum , 9mm kurtz, 9mm markov, 9mm win mag, 9x23, some are interchangeable some are not, in some cases it may fit but could be dangerous. ...never hurts to ask....better to ask and be thought a fool than blow your hands off and erase any doubt.

S&W has done this on their models 986 and 929. The chambers are 9x21, but since their market is 9x19 (and the gun will shoot that as well) they just stamp "9MM" on the gun. They could at least have gone with the standardised "9mm", since "MM" has a whole other scientific meaning.

On topic the handloads.com site has both .44 Magnum and .44 Remington Magnum as caliber options in the load data list. I believe it to be a submission from two different users where one had enough on his feet to know the real name.

Markbo
02-22-2016, 09:43 PM
Seriously?

@ss hat

snoopy
02-27-2016, 12:10 AM
warf, denul, that's class, makes me glad to belong to this group

rondog
02-27-2016, 01:29 AM
Confusing .45acp and .45 Colt could be easy, because the Single Action Army and the M1911 have both been called "Colt .45's" by many folks for many years. Comparing the rounds or pistols side by side is a no brainer, but confusing load data is no joke.

44MAG#1
02-27-2016, 08:13 AM
That is where due diligence in study of this sport, endeavor, hobby, whatever you choose to call it is paramount.
When I started there was no internet to babysit people and we who undertook this thing called reloading had to do our homework.
Now all one has to do is just get on the Internet and and waala it is there. No effort on the person to try and even attempt to do homework to find out anything.
Just unscrew the top of the persons head and pour it in, screw the top back on, and send them on there merry way.

pcolapaddler
02-27-2016, 09:03 AM
No doubt the Internet can be a fountain of information; misinformation abounds as well. FWIW, research whether undertaken at libraries and bookstores or at a keyboard takes time and effort. I am of a vintage where I have done my fair share of research in both arenas on a number of topics.

Regardless of where and / or when in time and place someone has done their research, that research has generally included questions, discussions and interactions with colleagues and friends who had knowledge and experience and we're willing to share it.

So, yes, do your research. Read books and articles. Ask questions and discuss the answers with others. Experiment carefully and make note of the results. Share the results, discuss and learn all over again.

Hickok
02-27-2016, 09:14 AM
Travis being a knuckle draggin' hillbilly from WV, this is best description and my first introduction to the .44 magnum back in 1971 while going to a "must see" movie of the day! (Before video tapes, VCRs and internet). Harry explains in plain words, the mystic of the .44 magnum!

It took me more than a few years to finally get a Smith 29, because of the severe shortage due to this movie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xjr2hnOHiM

Markbo
02-28-2016, 12:15 AM
That is where due diligence in study of this sport, endeavor, hobby, whatever you choose to call it is paramount.
When I started there was no internet to babysit people and we who undertook this thing called reloading had to do our homework.
Now all one has to do is just get on the Internet and and waala it is there. No effort on the person to try and even attempt to do homework to find out anything.
Just unscrew the top of the persons head and pour it in, screw the top back on, and send them on there merry way.

The internet is nothing more than a new way to do research. You arent babysitting anyone - Im surprised you didnt use the old "...like feeding them pablum..." line. Just because today people dont have to learn it the way you learned it does not make their journey any less important or trying for them. It might in fact be harder because A. The enormous amount of misinformation honestly - just erroneously shared and B. ******s that give people shiite for asking questions.

Might I suggest if anyone is troubling you too much you just bow out and only share information with people in person because the internet has obviously gone over your head. There is no such thing as a dumb question. If you dont know you dont know and the internet is an easily accessible resource for people to get information. On any subject. And I for one appreciate when people take the time to answer my questions when I dont know something and I have learned which old curmudgeons to not ask and to ignore when tbey pipe up with their complaints about people wanting everything spoon fed...they're just asking questions for goodness sakes. There are several like that on another favorite site singleactions.com like Terry Murbach and John Taffin.

I was always surprised at that since JT is a teacher by profession. Makes me wonder how he treats his students. The funny thing is his personal friends go out of their way to defend his boorish behavior. He wont even step on to this site because of his disgust for the term "boolit", never mind the reason it exists.

Anyway... rant over. I just get tired of old timers bad mouthing those that now how to take full advantage of the internet without giving them grief for it. Its a new world. Get used it or get off line.

44MAG#1
02-28-2016, 04:16 AM
Markbo,

Good advice. But it goes both ways. If someone like me irritates you why don't you just refuse to respond to anything I say.
A double standard right?
If you think the Internet hasn't made people lazy then there is something wrong with you.
Maybe that is the way you have gotten your information and that is the reason you defend it so much.

44man
02-28-2016, 11:54 AM
Markbo,

Good advice. But it goes both ways. If someone like me irritates you why don't you just refuse to respond to anything I say.
A double standard right?
If you think the Internet hasn't made people lazy then there is something wrong with you.
Maybe that is the way you have gotten your information and that is the reason you defend it so much.
Interesting! Markbo is also correct but so are you.
I see more misinformation pushed on the net then I ever read in rags. Lazy is a good definition because many do not want to do the work, look for an easy answer quick but the worst are those that want only confirmation to things that fail but they are stuck---well someone said so!
Being here many years has shown who actually thinks, works and tests. No doubt about it, no site is better. I just hope I am included even if I get testy. If you make claims and I have fooled with that more years then you are old but so and so said such and such and he is a writer in a rag. Where are YOU, two hands, a brain and a bunch of guns.
You all know how I feel about manuals, and rags, sure most have safe starting and ends to comply with. Even those can be wrong.
How long would I last with a list of stupid claims that I have read?

44MAG#1
02-28-2016, 12:50 PM
Of course giving the people on here a chance to show their intelligence by asking questions one hasn't even taken any of their time to research helps them feel good about themselves so it was worth it I guess.
So I guess I was wrong about being lazy. It does serve a purpose.
Kinda like the person that lays back at work and let's someone else carry part of their load. It gives the one doing the extra work the ability to brag about how hard they work. That lay back guy serves a purpose too.
So I am going to quit complaining about the guy I work with and thank him for the opportunity to do part of his work too.
It make me look good and didn't even realize it. I am going to thank him for the opportunity tomorrow.

alamogunr
02-28-2016, 02:44 PM
Of course giving the people on here a chance to show their intelligence by asking questions one hasn't even taken any of their time to research helps them feel good about themselves so it was worth it I guess.
So I guess I was wrong about being lazy. It does serve a purpose.
Kinda like the person that lays back at work and let's someone else carry part of their load. It gives the one doing the extra work the ability to brag about how hard they work. That lay back guy serves a purpose too.
So I am going to quit complaining about the guy I work with and thank him for the opportunity to do part of his work too.
It make me look good and didn't even realize it. I am going to thank him for the opportunity tomorrow.

This post should have been in purple. Up to a point, I agree with all on this subject. Beyond that point we are just ?
(I thought we had a smilie for this) beating a dead horse.

I'm sure I have asked questions that tic some off, but sometimes a search leaves me frustrated and if my search involves more than one word, I'm really frustrated.

white eagle
02-28-2016, 02:50 PM
no need to feel stupid
yes they are indeed the same
what you really need to watch is
abbreviations when it comes to powder

Markbo
02-28-2016, 04:35 PM
Markbo,

A double standard right?

Im not irritated at all #1. I would like to do some research though, could you recoomend a couple books for me? I need some written research material on something called "Powder Coating" of these Boolit thingies. What can you recommend?

44MAG#1
02-28-2016, 07:40 PM
Markbo,

I don't powder coat and if I did I sure could do some research of the information without just simply coming on here and just asking for the answer.
I know how to do my own research on the internet, but, I will make an effort to find out myself first.
If I can't find what I want by putting forth effort and some homework I will then ask.
But, not until I expend effort on my part.
It did not work. I have nothing against the Internet for information just the spoon feeding of people that are not motivated enough to try and do a little, at least,
some research for info. It is out there just make an effort to find it.
Especially something simple.

Markbo
02-29-2016, 12:29 AM
Well my point was a challenge really. I challenge anyone to educate themselves on that topic without using the internet. It would be nearly impossible. But I still understand your point. I could come here and ask 20 questions for quick answers or I could come here and read over the course of a couple of weeks probably and get answers to those questions and many many more I didnt even know I had. I.do understand.

But for a quick answer - like the OPs question here - the WWW is hard to beat. ;)

44MAG#1
02-29-2016, 02:18 AM
Markbo,

I knew it was a challenge. Don't your "friends" over on single actions.com have some postings on the subject of PC'ing cast bullets?
I am sure they would be very happy to help you.
Oh yes, here is a link that I researched for myself on the subject,
http://singleactions.proboards.com/board/7/reloading-wildcats?q=Powder+coating
I'm lazy and good for nothing but I found it.
Just a little effort is all it takes.

SSGOldfart
02-29-2016, 02:52 AM
The .44 Remington Magnum is the result of the collaboration between Smith & Wesson and Remington at the strong urging of Elmer Keith. I don't know why it didn't end up being the .44 Smith & Wesson Magnum. Possibly something as simple as a coin toss?
I think it was named the 44 Remington mag. Because of the new brass being made by Remington. There could have been a coin toss in there too,but I remember reading that some place along the line.

Patrick56
02-29-2016, 07:24 AM
Asking when you aren't sure is not only intelligent, it also displays quite a bit of common sense... something that isn't always so commonly found.
You did good.

Good luck with your project.

The Death Of Common Sense
12-13-10

Obituary Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as: - Knowing when to come in out of the rain;- Why the early bird gets the worm; - Life isn't always fair; and- Maybe it was my fault.. Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge). His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition. Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children. It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an aspirin to a student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion. Common Sense lost the will to live as the churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims. Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault. Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement. Common Sense was preceded in death, by his parents, Truth and Trust, by his wife, Discretion, by his daughter, Responsibility, and by his son, Reason. He is survived by his 4 stepbrothers:I Know My Rights I Want It Now Someone Else Is To Blame I'm A VictimNot many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone..If you still remember him, pass this on. If not, join the majority and do nothing.

Oklahoma Rebel
03-01-2016, 04:04 PM
to 44 mag.. I am not "t aking the easy way out" I have read and re read almost all the articles from la sillouett club and levergun.com, wich has a lot more info than just leverguns. but sometimes it is good to ask a question, if I didn't do it here I would have found someone knowledgable in person to ask, im 29 years old and I don't need no babysitting, ive made enough mistakes to learn from in life than many twice my age. bbut I am a better person for it no so quit being so d**n grumpy.! to all others, your generosity is overwhelming and I find that it is all too lacking in this big old world. but at the same time I have given to people I thought were friends for years only to get a see you later when they start running with the wrong crowd. wwho knows what this world is coming to but im glad there are still genuinely good people out there. so I try not to get too jaded

Oklahoma Rebel
03-01-2016, 04:09 PM
Patrick56, it is frustrating to watch happen isn't it?? (the death of common sense). a very slow and painful death. but I try to think that not all hope is lost, some of us actually listened to the older wiser ones, who seem to be disappearing, I only hope enough has been past on for the next generation.

Hickok
03-01-2016, 04:25 PM
Hey Travis, how long off into the future do you figure until you can get your .44?

Oklahoma Rebel
03-01-2016, 04:34 PM
I think maybe 2-3 months,getting disability( which I wont go into here) this is my second time, this time I have a good lawyer. in OK it is basically the rule that they deny you the first time, I guess to weed out the people that want a handout. I haven't had employment in two years now. just wait, this 44#1 guy is gonna go of on how im too young and im being lazy. but until you know the whole story..... anyways how are ya, been up to anything lately? my birthday is march 9 and me and my dad are gonna go hog hunting, it will be my first kill with my 45-70 if I get one, either way, I just like being in the woods.

Hickok
03-01-2016, 04:44 PM
Travis, keep us posted on that hog hunt, and we want pictures!

Best wishes and a happy birthday and do well, you and your dad on the hunt.

Oklahoma Rebel
03-01-2016, 04:46 PM
thanks a lot! ill see ya around

Ola
03-01-2016, 04:54 PM
Hmm, maybe we should start using the metric names of the calibers? :bigsmyl2:

.44 mag would be: 10.9×33mmR

Someone mentioned 9mm Luger: that would be 9×19 mm Parabellum

and .338 Lapua Magnum: 8,6×70 mm

Hickok
03-01-2016, 05:16 PM
Ola, I really like my 5.45x39mm. For a Kalashnikov, it shoots very well!:D

Markbo
03-01-2016, 07:57 PM
We want pitchers!!!

cainttype
03-02-2016, 10:08 AM
Hmm, maybe we should start using the metric names of the calibers? :bigsmyl2:

.44 mag would be: 10.9×33mmR

Someone mentioned 9mm Luger: that would be 9×19 mm Parabellum

and .338 Lapua Magnum: 8,6×70 mm

That's crazy talk, Ola!
What the heck do M&Ms have to do with any of this??? lol

Ola
03-02-2016, 03:26 PM
That's crazy talk, Ola!
What the heck do M&Ms have to do with any of this??? lol

Well, with the metric names there is no room for misunderstandings :)

In reality the American calibers will be know as .xxx forever. There is only couple of them with a well known "mm-name" at the moment, like 7,62x51 or 5,56x45. Can't see a big change here.

Combat Diver
03-03-2016, 08:02 AM
The 7x57mm Mauser and 7x57R are nearly the same except on has a rim and other semi rimmed. The 7.62x51R (or better known as 30 WCF/30-30)) and 7.62x51mm NATO are totally different case designs.

CD

Oklahoma Rebel
03-03-2016, 11:48 AM
im on both sides of the fence on this one, metric can be less confusing, but if we went to metric im sure people would still make wildcats and such just to confuse everyone, not to mention companies coming out with calibers that mimic the competition, but are very slightly different lol. actually now that I think about it the metric system already has misnomers such as the 8mm mauser, which is 7.92? I believe. but that's fairly common knowledge. plus the 7mm's that someone here already mentioned

44MAG#1
03-03-2016, 01:00 PM
That is the reason diligent study is the responsibility of everyone in the sport. Study, study and more study.
Ask not, what others can study for you, but, ask what you can study for yourself.

Combat Diver
03-03-2016, 02:33 PM
Let's talk about the 8mm Mauser the 7.9x57 J with its .318 bore or the 7.9x57 JS with a .323 bore?

CD

Oklahoma Rebel
03-03-2016, 03:09 PM
dude, 44mag#1, drop it, I do a ton of my own research online and in books, I ask one question that you think is a stupid question and you have not stopped riding my &$$ since. how do you know how much I do or don't research. you are so dead set on believing that I am like most of my generation and lazy and expect everything to be spoon fed to me. I have had as many friends that were middle age+ as my age because I enjoy listening to them and learning from them, I also subscribe to backwoodsman magazine which is all about how things were done anywhere from 50 to over 1000 years ago. so stop making assumtpions and let it be. thankyou.
Travis

Oklahoma Rebel
03-03-2016, 06:05 PM
isn't .45 10.25? I think I read that in an article about 1911 made in spain? maybe? and 4.25xwhat>?

44MAG#1
03-03-2016, 06:30 PM
Through study one millimeter is .03937 inch so 10.25 can't be .45.

Combat Diver
03-03-2016, 11:54 PM
11.43mm is what the Norwegians and Germans called the .45 ACP during WWII

CD

Captain O
03-04-2016, 12:01 AM
11.43mm is what the Norwegians and Germans called the .45 ACP during WWII

CD

This is the correct metric equivalent. Good Job!

Patrick56
03-06-2016, 06:47 AM
Let's talk about the 8mm Mauser the 7.9x57 J with its .318 bore or the 7.9x57 JS with a .323 bore?

CD
To make it even better, the 7,92x57JS is also called 8x57IS in Europe.

knuckleball
03-06-2016, 08:33 AM
might be a stupid question, but im not too stupid not to ask when it comes to reloading. sometimes I see it called .44 magnum, and sometimes I see .44 Remington magnum. is there any difference or is .44 mag just shorthand? thankyou,
Travis

44 Remington Magnum is a Trademark and 44 Magnum is not. Companies have to pay for the use of a trademark so they drop the Remington to avoid lawsuits and payment. The names however refer to the same cartridge.

You're smart fellow, would like a job charging my cases with powder.

Oklahoma Rebel
03-06-2016, 02:44 PM
44 Remington Magnum is a Trademark and 44 Magnum is not. Companies have to pay for the use of a trademark so they drop the Remington to avoid lawsuits and payment. The names however refer to the same cartridge.

You're smart fellow, would like a job charging my cases with powder. ? question on that last part. the rest made perfect sense especially nowdays when

people/companies are just looking for a reason to sue

sw282
03-08-2016, 07:25 AM
OK KIDD---As an old Army lnstructor of 20 years+ l can say with Authority the only DUMB question is ''the one not asked" Countless times and UNTOLD numbers of troopies have FLUNKED because of ''DUMB''questions... Those ''unasked'' ones... Before testout l ask,''Any Questions?"... Dead silence..... lt was like they were afraid of ME.. l was there to help them.. Then, thankfully, one brave soul would SPEAK!!! lt always opened up the floodgate.. Thanks for the question KIDD.

MakeMineLead
03-08-2016, 09:09 AM

I too love the Ruger Bisley grip.

I saw an ad on GunsAmerica (no pictures) for a used Ruger .44 Mag. Bisley 7.5", 98%, but no box. I bought it for $269.00 Imagine my more then pleasant surprise when a fluted cylinder (one of 2000 made in 1986) arrived! :)

I later bought a 6.5" Ruger .22LR Bisley

Markbo
03-09-2016, 02:42 AM
That was a great snag!

Oklahoma Rebel
03-10-2016, 12:17 PM
sw282 thankyou for the kind response. I have always said it is better to ask than risk the consiquinces spl? of not asking.have a good one.
Travis