PDA

View Full Version : Loading for the Super Blackhawk 480

High Desert Hunter
02-18-2016, 11:06 AM
Well since getting this shooter the day after New Years, and despite a trip back to the factory, I have run 250 rounds down the pipe. First loads were mostly a 412gr offering from Hunter's Supply, bullets that I received were of low quality, and shot horribly, some even keyholed at 25 yards, I loaded these with HS6, Unique, H110, 2400, and 300-MP, next up were the Hornady 325gr XTPs, I loaded these over Unique, HS6, and 300-MP, the accuracy was better, but these convinced me to send the gun back to Ruger. The day after I sent the gun back, my Lee .476-400 mold arrived, bullets drop at 395gr, and .476, my .476 sizing die barely touches them. So far, the Lee bullet has proven to be of decent accuracy, I have loaded them with all of the above mentioned powders, and have found the 300-MP to be the clear winner in my pistol, I am a bit disappointed as I was hoping to use HS6. Groups that prior to going back to Ruger were in the 6" range, have now shrunk in half. I have done a lot of trigger work to this pistol, and still have just a little more to do. I am currently waiting on a mold from Mountain Molds, a 390gr plain based bullet with a single large lube groove, and a 75% meplat, ordered it to drop at .478. I am looking forward to future experiences with this pistol.

contender1
02-18-2016, 11:15 AM
Mine likes the 400 grn range slugs. I have a Miha mold & a Lee mold. Mine shoots quite well so far!