PDA

View Full Version : Belding & Mull powder drop

SWANEEDB
02-16-2016, 11:52 PM
Recently came across this little jewel, has never been used or assembeled, box and all are in very mint condition, think it was first bought in the early 70's, $22. Just had to have it so came home with us.

StuBach
02-16-2016, 11:57 PM
I have one of those beauties left by my grandpa and recently found it invaluable for load development.

You have the micro click adjust bar so that's even better. Very nice find indeed.

tja6435
02-17-2016, 12:18 AM
I have one that I used to use left to me from my stepfather. Awesome score there

mastertack1
02-17-2016, 02:22 AM
You can still get the tubes from factory

gnoahhh
02-17-2016, 12:36 PM
You can get all the small parts from the factory, at least up until recently. I've had to replace the glass window in mine a couple times over the last 35 years. The glass is very thin and will crack if you look at it crossways.

Kevin Rohrer
02-17-2016, 07:42 PM
Drop tubes are available from the "factory" and on Ebay, both original ones and aftermarket.

brassrat
02-17-2016, 08:35 PM
I made a bunch of tubes that adjust to several weights and interchange with each other to make dozens of weights. Everything color coded and on a chart by powder brand.

Hardcast416taylor
02-17-2016, 09:22 PM
About 20 years back I was given one of these measures by a relative of my Frau that got it off a yard sale table for $3 because she knew that I was into `shooting`. Robert

gnoahhh
02-18-2016, 06:18 PM
I made a couple drop tubes by boring blind holes in bar stock in a lathe for specific powder charges. Lots of trial and error to make them but those tubes now substitute for having to adjust the measure for a couple of my most used charges. (Sometimes I think I have too much time on my hands!)

Wayne Smith
02-19-2016, 08:55 AM
A 45-70 case fits closely into the drop and works well as a measure with a small steel disk and a piece of allthread and the primer pocket drilled out and threaded. I have several.

Kevin Rohrer
02-20-2016, 10:17 AM
I have a few drop tubes, too.

flashhole
02-21-2016, 07:37 AM
Very nice find.

For those with broken glass. Have you ever considered a small piece of clear acrylic to replace the fragile glass.

Went2kck
02-21-2016, 07:47 AM
I have one of those and have never used it. Still have the box with it.

Wayne Smith
02-21-2016, 08:52 AM
Very nice find.

For those with broken glass. Have you ever considered a small piece of clear acrylic to replace the fragile glass.

Just a corner piece of window glass (often free from your local hardware store) is all you need.

abunaitoo
02-22-2016, 10:50 PM
I have four of these. Two plastic powder tubes and two brass.
Someone told me the ones with the brass tube was for black powder.
I'm not sure I'd use it for black powder. Don't want it to go BOOM.
Was he correct?????

country gent
02-22-2016, 11:35 PM
I was told Brass hoppers were earlier then aluminum and last is plastic. I have been told the brass hoppers are safe with Black powder also. I do use mine with black powder for my BPCR loads. They are a handy measure in a decent size. I have used hobby store brass tubing for measure tubes. I am working on some thread adjustables now. 1/2" od tube a piece to fit snug inside the 1/2" tube 3/8" 16 or 24 threaded rod. I cut the 1/2" tube 4" long. 2 pieces of the inner tube size 1 1" long 1 3/4" long thread rod 4 1/2"-5" long. File flat down threaded rod. Epoxy 1" piece of tube to threaded rod. (leave tube 1/8" proud and fill this area with e[poxy also) when cured file end flat or cut concave if desired. Glue or solder 3/4" inner tube into one end of 1/2" tube. A 1/2" stop collar glued onto end with tube glued in. Drill and tap hole thru stop collar when cured. Slide inner rod thru tube to assemble alighn flat with set screw or thumb screw. add nut on end of threaded rod. Nut allows easier fine adjustment. Set screw or thumb screw locks it in place. flat on rod keeps burrs from binding it up.

StuBach
02-23-2016, 05:50 AM
Or, for those not as handy, order a new one from the manufacturer.

Google search for Belding and Mull Charge Tubes will give you correct page to order.

Kevin Rohrer
02-23-2016, 07:32 AM
I have never seen a plastic drop tube; always brass (safe with BP).

Green Frog
02-25-2016, 12:31 PM
I've seen plastic reservoir tubes, but I haven't seen anything but brass drop tubes with steel or brass sliders. Handling black powder with these is safe so long as there is no steel-on-steel contact to strike a spark or plastic to build up a static charge. This latter danger may be overblown, but I try to avoid it. :shock:

The bench rest guys (those that hadn't gone with Culver-type conversions on Lyman 55s) sometimes used custom made drop tubes with a Starrett micrometer head to control the plunger tube. Overkill for most applications, but most accurate. Yes, I've got one made for me by a long dead friend, and no I don't know where to get more made. :-?

Froggie

JSH
02-25-2016, 02:57 PM
I chased around after good powder measures for quite awhile. I was loaned one for a short time. I found one shortly and have been happy since. It is the only powder measure I trust completely when using stick powders, sr4756,h1000,4198 etc. Ball powders I have little to no issue with.

Green Frog
02-25-2016, 07:40 PM
I chased around after good powder measures for quite awhile. I was loaned one for a short time. I found one shortly and have been happy since. It is the only powder measure I trust completely when using stick powders, sr4756,h1000,4198 etc. Ball powders I have little to no issue with.

When you use it with fine ball powder like Accurate #7 or #9, it's just like measuring water! I used mine for several years with H108 (roughly the same as AA #9) and it was as consistent as anything possible.

Froggie

mazo kid
02-27-2016, 04:17 PM
Swanee, you STOLE that measure. Heck, the box is worth that price. For a cheap drop tube, you can use a muzzleloader powder measure.