PDA

View Full Version : Lead ingot price ?

Harv33
02-16-2016, 01:53 PM
I have to sell my lead locally. It is graded for various hardness and is in 1 lb. ingots. There are a lot of lead bullet shooters here. What is a decent price for it ?..
Local scrap only pays .20 cents a lb. The price graph here on C/B shows .81 cents a lb. Confusing.
Thanks for the help

Boolit_Head
02-16-2016, 01:56 PM
Clean smelted lead in ingots should go for more than scrap or the kitco price. I've always paid more than 1.00 a pound because it's harder to get here. Local supply and demand will of course change things.

Sgtonory
02-16-2016, 01:56 PM
Normal clean ingots sell for around .80 to $1 per pound.

Harv33
02-16-2016, 07:14 PM
That sure helps !!. Thank you both. !!!

RogerDat
02-16-2016, 07:34 PM
The graph is sort of the spot bid/ask price for bulk wholesale. The scrap yard is paying 20 cents so they can sell it profitably at wholesale prices, not retail. A good guideline is the Rotometals link in the ads at the top of the page. Roughly 50% of what they as a commercial source of foundry grade alloys charge is sort of "normal" for private party sales. Can be more like 66% of their price for premium alloys such as Linotype, or some of the tin sources such as rich solder or pewter.

I would not ignore selling or trading it here. USPS flat rate box makes shipping cost reasonable. You know how the advertise it fits it ships up to 70 lbs. Means 65# of lead can be shipped for around $14. About 23-25 lbs. in a Small box for $7 If you have buyers that are local that is all good, less work to pack and ship but if not, or the prices offered are too low.... options are a good thing.