PDA

View Full Version : The Fabricated Press Mount Benefit

Guardian
02-16-2016, 12:11 PM
I'm interested in why you use a fabricated press mount (Ultramount, Dillon's Strong Mount, or home grown similar device) with your press. I've always viewed such as a fix to a bench problem (i.e., the bench was built too low and/or wasn't stout enough). I think I may be overlooking other advantages.

I generally reload standing up, partially because I spend all day at work sitting and partially because I'll have other things running that I need to check on regularly. I've built my benches so that my shoulder doesn't dip when the press handle is fully down. This height has also been convenient for operating scales and sorting things, but not so convenient when you need to reach into a deeper container like a 2 gallon pail.

My quandary at the moment is whether to use Inline Fabrication's Ultramount with the bench height dropped 9-in or the quick change press mount and keep building benches the same height I have been. The quick change aspect is primarily what I'm after. I've tried the Wiley Clapp method for quick change and I'm just not satisfied with it for a press mount. It was a great idea for the time, there are just better options now, in my opinion.

So why do you use a fabricated press mount?

EDIT 17FEB16 - CLARIFICATION

This poll is not about quick change systems. The question is regarding Ultramounts, Dillon Strong Mounts, and homemade arrangements that provide both a riser and a larger footprint for the press. My apologies for the confusion.

Guardian
02-16-2016, 12:19 PM
ARG! Misspelled "another" and can't figure out how to fix it. Guess it's done now.

WFO2
02-16-2016, 02:06 PM
I use a dillion strong mount because i reload standing up and it allows me to move the press when I'm done to free up bench space .

jmort
02-16-2016, 02:42 PM
I have three InLine Ultra Mounts with the Quick change Plate system. I don't like anything hanging off my bench. That is my preference. I have plates for everything, presses, a vise, primers. I like the height of the Ultra Mounts and the versatility of the Quick Change plates.

Sam Casey
02-16-2016, 02:46 PM
I am thinking of ordering press mount system and like the idea interchangeable plates that remain on press allowing the switch of a 550 to a Summit or whatever.

LUBEDUDE
02-16-2016, 02:49 PM
I don't like kneeknockers.

Thats why I have one on my 550 and the extra benefits of my 1050's, Hollywoods, and Shotshell presses as well.

hc18flyer
02-16-2016, 02:56 PM
I have 2 different presses that are each mounted on a box tube pedestal, with a disc brake rotor for a bottom(carpet scrap on the very bottom), there is a steel plate that I clamp to the bench edge. My bench is at standard sitting height. Separate pedestals allow the seating press to be higher, so I can see better. I only have a tiny bench, so rolling it aside when not in use is a real plus. I have a Co-ax for sizing, and a Lee c press dedicated to seating. I will try and post a picture tonight. Flyer

rancher1913
02-16-2016, 04:49 PM
what jmort said. i have a limited space to work in and the quick change allows me to "get-r-done"

jmort
02-16-2016, 05:09 PM
I have Quick change plates for a RCBS A2 and an A4, Lee Classic Turret, Lee Breechlock Challenger, Lee Reloader, a vise, RCBS Automatic Primer, MEC Sizemaster, and when I get the new Lee bench mounted primer, will add that one as well. I do all my case prep/cleaning, depriming/priming, and charging off the press. To finish off I will either use a single turret press or two single stage presses to seat and crimp. It it nice to be able to set up two single stage presses right next to each other, and seat on the first, and then crimp on the second. I have three Ultra Mounts right in a row, and at times I will flair/expand, seat, and crimp with the three ultra mounts right in a row and into the loading block. It works fast as I can move case from one press to the next and onto the third. Mostly, I just use the turret press. But it is fun, for me, to have the three single stages set up in a row, for a change of pace.

seagiant
02-16-2016, 05:32 PM
Hi,
I just use flat aluminum, so I can use C-clamps to secure where I want on my benches!

I like to sit on a stool to reload.

If i used the Dillon Strong Mount I would have to stand!

swamp
02-16-2016, 06:00 PM
I use an Inline Fab. on my Ammo Master. Do most of my loading standing up and it gives me more leverage when forming cases.

swamp

jmorris
02-16-2016, 06:42 PM
I have had them in the past. If the bench is solid nothing is more ridged that mounting the casting directly to it.

seagiant
02-16-2016, 06:45 PM
I use an Inline Fab. on my Ammo Master. Do most of my loading standing up and it gives me more leverage when forming cases.

swamp

Hi,
If you have to stand up for more leverage with your press.....

Might be time for a different press!!!![smilie=1:[smilie=1:[smilie=1:

dannyd
02-16-2016, 07:32 PM
love my mount from inline best thing I ever did.

David2011
02-16-2016, 08:43 PM
I don't use separate mounts. My preference is to stand when loading with progressives and sit when using single stage presses. Since I had 3 Dillons to mount I just made the bench 42" high, determined by the location of the bottom of the stroke without bending at the waist or bending my back. It took the same amount of lumber as any other height up to 48" would have so it cost nothing extra to build it at "my" height.

David

RogerDat
02-16-2016, 09:20 PM
I gave some thought (and am still thinking) about Pat Marlins Rock Dock. I work seated in a tall stool mostly. I made wood bases that have the presses attached and line up with holes in the bench. Bolts and wing nuts to attach the wood base because I like to stay set up and found C clamps annoying. Not really quick change, takes a bit to undo the bolts and it would be nice to be able to just slip the "extra" single stage out of the way when I need that bench space.

http://www.patmarlins.com/

Unlike the InLine Ultra Mounts they don't provide any additional height.

MrWolf
02-16-2016, 10:21 PM
I use the Dillon a Strong Mount for my 550.

mac60
02-16-2016, 11:34 PM
Hi,
I just use flat aluminum, so I can use C-clamps to secure where I want on my benches!

I like to sit on a stool to reload.

If i used the Dillon Strong Mount I would have to stand!

I do the same thing. My bench is only 6 ft., so I don't have room to have everything mounted to the bench. Rock solid and versatile.

dragon813gt
02-16-2016, 11:41 PM
I use my bench w/ many presses, sizers and vices. Along w/ using it for purposes other than reloading. I have a micro ultra mount w/ quick change plate on the bench I recently built. I will be putting one on my original bench as well. I don't like drilling a bunch of holes in the bench top. Four holes is all that will be drilled. Well actually eight because I didn't have the handle extended all the way down and had to move the press away from the edge :mad:

What it does is allow me to run multiple tools w/ only a few holes drilled in the top. And I can quickly remove the ultra mount when I need a flat bench top. I used a steel plate and clamps for a long time. The quick change plates are a big upgrade.

Guardian
02-17-2016, 12:31 AM
Ok, I completely understand the use of quick change setups, but that can be achieved without the riser/wide footprint of the Ultramount or strong mount. The riser/wider base is really what I'm trying to understand.

Knee knockers are an issue if you sit, not so much standing.

I hadn't thought about being able to set the press back from the edge, allowing clear walkways, but that hasn't been an issue for my arrangement.

Bullwolf
02-17-2016, 12:55 AM
I use a fabricated press mount for another reason.

Since I only use 1 press at a time, there's no need for them all to be mounted to my bench at once.

So I drilled standard holes in my load bench, and I mount my presses on wood blocks - Which I leave mounted to each individual press.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=52546&d=1311316021

I can easily swap the presses on the bench using a standard bolt pattern.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=52366&d=1304661429

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=52367&d=1304661429

I've seen variations of the same thing performed with presses mounted on boards, and C-clamped down to the loading bench as well. My way just lets me tighten nuts & bolts down, instead of using C-clamps.

- Bullwolf

dikman
02-17-2016, 01:11 AM
I voted no, but then realised I suppose technically I use a mounting system (I was only thinking of the commercial ones when I voted!). Each press (four at the moment) is bolted to a largish 1/4" or so steel plate. Each plate has two 3/8" holes drilled in the same position, there are three "stations" on the bench, consisting of two 3/8" holes at the same spacing as the plate holes and underneath is a flat metal bar with two 3/8" nuts welded on and screwed to the bottom of the bench. Changing/removing only requires undoing two bolts.

Works for me.

Guardian
02-17-2016, 12:20 PM
Again, I get the quick change systems. I've got those too.

dikman, you got it right the first time.

mdi
02-17-2016, 01:20 PM
I have no need for a press mount under my presses as I built my bench at the perfect height for reloading (for me that's about hip high).

OS OK
02-17-2016, 01:35 PM
I voted no also then realized that I actually do have a 'mounting system' of sorts. I'm with the 'large plate' group but my thinking is that the plate transfers all the torque that used to flex the edge of the bench a bit into the bench top, no flex at all…can't stand to watch a press flex, they are suppose to be 'rock solid'.
The plate gives me room to place 'magnets' to keep a hold of a tool that I use regularly or to keep a cartridge checker from rolling around, many uses those magnets provide.

161181 You can see the 'plates' here and the 'stand' I place my powder dispenser and scales on. Will face any press at whatever height that suits.

Plates left…Right, you see the hole in the center of the bench where the stand goes through to a big truck rotor that supports that assembly…no vibration!

W.R.Buchanan
02-17-2016, 05:22 PM
I have my most used Rockchucker, and C&H444 mounted permanently mounted to the bench. All of my other presses are mounted to Aluminum Plates, and then C Clamped to the bench when in use.

Some of the machines have risers I built to get them in a more favorable position. The Dillon Presses had to have risers as they hung down so far below the top of the table I couldn't open the drawer in the bench. Also on the 550B the Primer Cup had to have clearance.

All these Aluminum Plates were machine parts made for CNC Routers but the job got cancelled and I got stuck with the parts. I repurposed them into what you see here. You could do the same thing with pieces of 3/4" plywood.

All of these presses are stored up stairs in the Loft and covered with Plastic Trash Bags so they stay clean.

I find that not having machines that are seldom used permanently mounted, leaves more room when space is at a premium, and also keeping machines covered and stored out of the way keeps them cleaner so that when you do want to use them they don't have to be cleaned before you start.

Randy

dikman
02-17-2016, 06:14 PM
Yep, a big advantage of the "plate" system is being able to have a clear bench if needed (mine takes less than a minute to clear), or being able to locate presses where you want them. My upside down sizing press is mounted on an extended steel plate (needs to sit out further from the bench when upside down) and I have no flex when leaning into a stubborn boolit!

Walter Laich
02-17-2016, 06:32 PM
while not a commercial mount I use a piece of 4x4 to raise my SDB up off the bench. It's a more comfortable height and easier for me to work at while standing.

I had already raised the bench about 4in when I built it. The bench is bolted to the back wall for strength.

r1kk1
02-18-2016, 11:21 AM
I use Dillon Strong Mount, Pat Marlin's RockDOCK and Inline Fabrication's mounts. Inline Fabrication has a flush mount system now. Pat has adapters for Dan's mount as well as Dillon and I'm sure Dan has something to adapt Pat's stuff.

I like them all.

r1kk1

MakeMineLead
02-18-2016, 12:27 PM
My bench has limited space

I bought flat, steel plate and D&T'ed it for studs (threaded on both ends w/ an unthreaded portion in the middle). The press is secured by the studs. The plate Is C clamped to the bench.

seagiant
02-18-2016, 01:04 PM
Hi,
Randy, for me, C-clamps and flat aluminum plate is the way to go!

Of course , you have cranked it up a few more, notches!!!

I like to sit when I reload on a bench, others like to stand.

My knifemaking Mentor sat on a stool when he ground knives, I have to stand for my balance!

People are different!

W.R.Buchanan
02-19-2016, 02:03 PM
Greg: everything is recycled. The parts were made and the guy flaked on me and I had to eat both the material costs (which weren't cheap) and the labor. Using these plates to mount my Presses was a way to recycle these and the other parts. I actually paid for them 20 years ago.

Luckily all the smaller parts weren't drilled before he flaked, but they were Precision Sawed to size, so they were mine. All are cut to nice round numbers so they are useful for many other things.

Randy

RickF
02-19-2016, 02:54 PM
I use a Dillon Strong Mount with my 650 as a means to keep the bottom of the press above the plane of my primary bench top so that I can have room to roll out my secondary roll-out bench that stores under the primary bench directly beneath where the press is mounted.