PDA

View Full Version : Coyotes

richhodg66
02-15-2016, 11:09 PM
Just got back from driving to see my folks from Northern Kansas to North central Texas all along I-35. I saw many, many road killed coyotes, highly unusual number of them and I also saw three on the hoof, two of which were out in broad day light.

Is it the mating season for them or some other time of year/condition that has their activity increasing?

Wolfer
02-15-2016, 11:41 PM
I believe it is mating season.

Snow ninja
02-15-2016, 11:49 PM
Wife saw 4 in a pack the other day, don't usually run in packs round here from what we've seen. Western Missouri.

richhodg66
02-16-2016, 12:59 AM
I believe it is mating season.

Wish I had some time this week during daylight, I know I have a lot of them around the place and I need to kill off some so they don't get my cat. Guess it'll have to wait til the weekend.

richhodg66
02-16-2016, 12:59 AM
Wife saw 4 in a pack the other day, don't usually run in packs round here from what we've seen. Western Missouri.

By the way, I love your avatar. Winchester '73 is a great movie and James Stewrt is my favorite actor.

Rally
02-16-2016, 02:05 AM
It is indeed breeding/dispersal season for coyotes. You also drove through some of the areas with the highest densities of coyotes in the country. I drove from Northern Mn. to Northern Il. this weekend and saw three roadkills and one live coyote. They have to travel and hunt harder this time of year as small game populations are getting lower as the winter progresses. The coyote has taken over much of what used to be red fox habitat in the last twenty or so years also. A population of Timberwolves is the only thing that will keep the coyotes to a low population level. Even mange only seems to affect their numbers for a couple years.

NavyVet1959
02-16-2016, 03:23 AM
Wish I had some time this week during daylight, I know I have a lot of them around the place and I need to kill off some so they don't get my cat. Guess it'll have to wait til the weekend.

They like cats? I have an HOA Nazi neighbor who is a "cat lady"... Send some down this way... Do they just eat the cats or will they eat the owners too?

Fishman
02-16-2016, 05:27 AM
All this rain has resulted in tons of food for coyotes. Quail numbers are way up in many areas of Texas and I suspect across the midwest. Rodents probably have experienced similar population explosions, I know they have at my house.

richhodg66
02-16-2016, 06:47 AM
My Dad was just telling me how many more quail he has been seeing lately. Interesting.

I'm told they like to pick off outside cats, but this big fella who aodpted us seems to have beaten the odds so far.

I'm guessing during my trip, I saw 20 road kills at least and those are only the ones who didn't make it off the pavement, no telling how many died in the brush where I didn't see them.

NavyVet1959
02-16-2016, 07:30 AM
Around here, road kill is normally armadillos with a very infrequent skunk tossed in for "flavoring". When I was driving up in North Texas near Oklahoma, I "noticed" a LOT more skunks being road kill. Don't know if is just the the skunks up there are dumber or if there are just more skunks around there. :)

Edward
02-16-2016, 08:17 AM
Wish we had more,just to clean up the cats I miss :bigsmyl2:

fastdadio
02-16-2016, 05:48 PM
Wish we had more,just to clean up the cats I miss :bigsmyl2:

I know what you mean. I got one word for you. Conibear. :redneck:

borg
02-18-2016, 10:36 PM
I know what you mean. I got one word for you. Conibear. :redneck:

Yeah, just don't let PETA hear of that. LOL

NavyVet1959
02-18-2016, 10:49 PM

I'm ready for the PETA kooks...

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/2/23921/830246-duke15beartrap.jpg

w5pv
02-19-2016, 10:10 AM
We use to have more cats but the yotes are keeping to the minium and the road kills help also.I like an outside cat ok but not in the house.Don't feed them and they make pretty good varmiters,rats,mice and snakes.I have saw them take baby rabbits also.

jmorris
02-19-2016, 11:19 AM
They woke me up the other night howling right out side my window. This one came out while I was grilling to check out the armadillo that had been tearing up the yard.

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/Mobile%20Uploads/PICT0006-1_zpsl2ape8d2.jpg

quilbilly
02-19-2016, 01:31 PM
You bet it is mating season but here it is approaching the end. The scrawny one we have been seeing all the time for six months on our two trail cams now has a friend (Uh Oh!).

fastdadio
02-19-2016, 07:56 PM

I just give'em my best Clint Eastwood impersonation from Grand Torino "get off my lawn!"
Linky;
http://dgt1.net/manny/mblog/images/gran_torino.jpg

MUSTANG
02-19-2016, 08:28 PM
Must be nearing the top of the cycle. As food increases (Quail, Rabbits, etc.) the Coyote Population follows. At a critical point, their numbers will escalate beyond the food carrying ability of the environment, then as the Quail, Rabbits, etc.. dramatically declines the Coyotes will top out and numbers dramatically decline over 2-4 years. Then it will start again. Tends to be a 7-11 year cycle. Watched the cycles since I was a youngun in the Panhandle of Texas.

Blanket
02-19-2016, 11:43 PM
Hook up season for the yotes, did you smoke the ones you caught in the open. Hope so. Bad problem in my area

trapper9260
02-20-2016, 11:51 AM
Had some cats around the house that someone dump or came from someone down the road and then the coyotes show up more and took most of them out.I hear the coyotes sing this morning when I put my hybreads out early.But for trapping I got a total of 8.Mainly young ones.

Uncle Grinch
02-20-2016, 05:27 PM
I would imagine coyotes gather together like dogs when the female is in heat.

quilbilly
02-20-2016, 07:28 PM
Our big kitties (cougars) seem to take care of the coyotes pretty well around here. That scrawny coyote has been the first we have seen around here in quite a while since that mama lion had her kittens in back of the house almost two years ago. Cougars like fresh dog too.

WRideout
02-20-2016, 09:28 PM
They like cats? I have an HOA Nazi neighbor who is a "cat lady"... Send some down this way... Do they just eat the cats or will they eat the owners too?
A few years ago, when I lived close to Los Angeles, there were news reports that the cops were looking for a deranged individual who was dissecting cats and dogs. They were apparently carefully disembowled. Some time later, a biologist from somewhere determined that the culprits were coyotes.
Wayne

NavyVet1959
02-20-2016, 09:30 PM
A few years ago, when I lived close to Los Angeles, there were news reports that the cops were looking for a deranged individual who was dissecting cats and dogs.

Uhhh... I probably have an alibi... :)

Rattlesnake Charlie
02-20-2016, 09:33 PM
Yes, it is mating season. It is easier to call them into shotgun range now that they are hungry from chasing each other as well as they are "distracted".

TXGunNut
02-25-2016, 10:40 PM
Have seen a few road kill, one live one in high gear this morning. I guess he didn't want to stick around to see if I had a rifle with me. Coats look quite good, seem to be in good health.

Sagebrush7
02-26-2016, 01:16 AM
They woke me up the other night howling right out side my window. This one came out while I was grilling to check out the armadillo that had been tearing up the yard.

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/Mobile%20Uploads/PICT0006-1_zpsl2ape8d2.jpg

Whommm smell that hard shell possum!

Wolfer
02-26-2016, 07:01 PM
Possum on the half shell![smilie=l: