PDA

View Full Version : Star lube sizer value

abunaitoo
02-15-2016, 10:08 PM
I have an old one.
I see the new ones got for $337.
I've also seen them on ebay for $125 to $400.
What would be a fair value for the old one I have?????

acoop101
02-15-2016, 10:20 PM
The key determining factor is how many dies come with it, to get new ones run 40-50 each.

Beagle333
02-15-2016, 10:30 PM
Have an auction. Start it at $150 shipped and see where it goes.
my .02

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-16-2016, 12:10 AM
I was bidding on one last week on fleabay...I didn't get it, but I made the winning bidder pay a few bucks more...around $220, I believe? It was an older one, No dies, and had a repair weld on the top collar. Hope that helps?

noisewaterphd
02-16-2016, 12:23 AM
I'll give you $150 right now.

I don't know what it would sell for at auction, but I am in the market for another lube sizer right now, and $150 is my budget.

Trying to buy a Saeco, but I think the guy might have fallen off the earth.

abunaitoo
02-16-2016, 03:55 AM
I cleaned it up after I took the pictures.
Got a majority of the old lube out.
Had to replace the piston seal. Got the new one from Magma.
I have only the 38cal die with it.

6bg6ga
02-16-2016, 07:16 AM
To be blunt its worth whatever you can get for it. There is no set price for one. Several years ago I purchased a used Star that evidently the owner couldn't figure out how to take it apart and clean out the hardened stuck lube. Several hours into it I had it cleaned out, painted, and fitted with the air cylinder. Personal opinion here.... have seen so many used dies that come with some of these units that aren't worth the time to set them up. Worn out dies are are a possibility when dealing with some ebay folks. If the star were mine I would clean it and paint it and then check the dies and take measurements of bullets that you run thru the dies so you can let a potential buyer know the finished sized diameter of the processed bullets.

abunaitoo
02-16-2016, 05:32 PM
I'll run a boolet through it to get the die diameter.

MT Chambers
02-16-2016, 07:02 PM
Even in rough condition, I haven't seen any go for under $250 and most are a lot more....even in this condition, it will run like a champ forever or they can be made to look like new.

dragon813gt
02-16-2016, 07:10 PM
To close to the price of a new one IMO. New ones are high quality and I don't understand people paying what they do for used ones. I could understand if they weren't being made anymore, but they are.

skeettx
02-16-2016, 08:18 PM
The old ones SMELL better :)

Follow these for a value review

Next one, way high, I suppose

Pee Wee
02-17-2016, 06:37 AM
I Found three stars for friends that they purchased off of the S&S theard here. Two where older original stars and one was a newer Magma star, they were right at $175.00 delivered. One had a die and punch, one had two punches and one had no die or punch. They were in very good condition.

6bg6ga
02-17-2016, 07:25 AM
I believe I gave $175 for mine with no punch or die. Lathesmith is the only person to purchase punches and dies from. A used die is not worth $40 in any world I know of especially when you can get a new one for the same amount. Why so much for a star? People are stupid. They can get the same machine without the blue paint for a little over $300 new. The only reason I purchased a used Star is because I got it cheap. I had no need to have any punches or dies in it because I have a bunch I had lathesmith make for me and each is for a specific bullet no unused holes to plug either.

cajun shooter
02-17-2016, 01:23 PM
When it comes to what is the "FAIR" price for anything is a question that has many answers as the number of people who are asked. If you have an original Star that was made by Star and is in excellent condition with all of the decals intact, it's worth much more for a collector than one made by Magma.
It's no different than guns, cars, or anything else that is made and is collected by a group of interested people.
I watch the famous car auction, Barrett-Jackson every time it's aired and some of the prices that these vehicles bring is more than I will ever see in my hands. I purchased a 56 Chevrolet station wagon in 1969 for $600 for a work car, they now sell for close to six figures.
These machines are very strong and have little that can go bad and if the main part, the Hycar Washer wears out, it may be replaced for $6. All of the parts from the new ones will work as replacements for the old ones. Later David