PDA

View Full Version : Powder coat or pan lube

N1YDP
02-15-2016, 05:36 PM
for pistol cast bullets.i use the eletrostatic way for powder coating.i have done both.but i would like to know what method you prefer and why.

jcren
02-15-2016, 05:39 PM
Pc. Clean, easy and the colors help get the kids interested.

OS OK
02-15-2016, 07:12 PM
PC for pistol
Lube/Sizer rifle

When I figure a good way to do rifle without using a spray gun…then that will do it for all my rounds…PC

sparky45
02-15-2016, 07:32 PM
Do both! I PC some of my rifle cast and then fill the lube grooves with BLA.

Beagle333
02-15-2016, 07:38 PM
PC definitely. A little dustier, but not nearly as messy/sticky. Much faster for me too.

GhostHawk
02-15-2016, 10:32 PM
Neither!

Ben's liquid lube on everything.
High speed rifle may get Ben's red in the grooves, then BLL on top.

Faster, easier, no fuss, no muss, no problems and inexpensive.

dilly
02-16-2016, 07:38 PM
I would rather do almost anything than pan lube. I quite thoroughly dislike that method.

bangerjim
02-16-2016, 09:22 PM
PC all the way. Pan lubing is too messy, time consuming, and a PITA. I used to do it until I discoverd PC 3+ years ago and developed many of the techniques that work for me ----- perfectly!

banger

Lead Fred
02-16-2016, 10:44 PM
I do 100s of pistol rounds a month pan lubing.
I dont have any powder coating stuff, and dont have no need for any

Besides The Mrs likes the bee's wax smell, burnt plastic smell would remind us of when she first started cooking

sparky45
02-17-2016, 10:32 AM
The basic "equipment" needed for Powder Coating is: One discarded CoolWhip tub and One $10 Goodwill Toaster Oven. I challenge you to find a more cost effective method of "lubing" bullets.
BTW, I use BLL over the top of PC'd bullets for that extra measure of protection. Not needed but BLL is one fabulous mixture.

dahermit
02-17-2016, 11:27 AM
The basic "equipment" needed for Powder Coating is: One discarded CoolWhip tub and One $10 Goodwill Toaster Oven. I challenge you to find a more cost effective method of "lubing" bullets.
BTW, I use BLL over the top of PC'd bullets for that extra measure of protection. Not needed but BLL is one fabulous mixture.I keep reading about all those 5-$10 thrift store ovens, but have not seen any in the three or so thirft stores in my area. So, just because a person lucks out and finds such a bargain, it may not accurately reflect the cost of Powder Coating vs other methods. I had to finally spring for a $34 oven from Walmart and an Electo-static gun (for gas-check style bullets), from Harbor Freight. A "...more cost effective method of lubing bullets..." is to smear a soft lube on them with one's fingers, but who would want to do that?

sparky45
02-17-2016, 12:17 PM
You're right; nobody would do that.:bigsmyl2:

Dragonheart
02-17-2016, 12:54 PM
The problem I see is the continued argument as to what lube is best for your bullets. My answer is if all you want is a lubricant for your bullets then do whatever you feel fits your needs best as you are the only one that can judge that.

But there are some of us that realize powder coating is more than just a lubricant. We see powder coating for what it is; a polymer jacketed bullet with benefits far greater than just a superior lubricant.

bangerjim
02-17-2016, 03:15 PM
BTW, I use BLL over the top of PC'd bullets for that extra measure of protection. Not needed but BLL is one fabulous mixture.

Your "$10" oven is a bit misleading. If one is VEEEEERY lucky, you can find a workable oven that has good temp control (convection only, of course) at a junk shop. But someone gave it away for a very good reason!

I went thru 2 of those $5 and $10 pieces of carp early on and had horrible luck with PC both BBDT and ESPC. I finally wound up with a ~$100 oven from my wife (bought her a bigger one) that held temp within 5F and yielded perfect bakes every time. But sadly, it died a couple weeks ago so I went out and bought the top of the line Oster Digital model which is huuuuuuge (as Donald would say) inside and maintains 400F within 4F when set at 425. Remember digital convection ovens run 25F cooler than the cheaper non convection ones. Both my kitchen ovens are convection and when you set them at 350, they control at 325. A little thing to watch for.

All I can say is: good luck with those cheapo used junk store ovens. And please, do not blame the PC process if your boolits do not turn out right!

banger

hickfu
02-17-2016, 05:50 PM
I pan lubed for the first 3 to 4 years... I now either Powder coat or lube using a lube/sizer. I will never go back to pan lubing... such a pain in the rear

sparky45
02-17-2016, 07:08 PM
Your "$10" oven is a bit misleading. If one is VEEEEERY lucky, you can find a workable oven that has good temp control (convection only, of course) at a junk shop. But someone gave it away for a very good reason!

I went thru 2 of those $5 and $10 pieces of carp early on and had horrible luck with PC both BBDT and ESPC. I finally wound up with a ~$100 oven from my wife (bought her a bigger one) that held temp within 5F and yielded perfect bakes every time. But sadly, it died a couple weeks ago so I went out and bought the top of the line Oster Digital model which is huuuuuuge (as Donald would say) inside and maintains 400F within 4F when set at 425. Remember digital convection ovens run 25F cooler than the cheaper non convection ones. Both my kitchen ovens are convection and when you set them at 350, they control at 325. A little thing to watch for.

All I can say is: good luck with those cheapo used junk store ovens. And please, do not blame the PC process if your boolits do not turn out right!

banger

You're probably right, all I have to compare is personal experience. Now the darn thing will probably shoot craps the next time I use her.

N1YDP
02-18-2016, 09:50 AM
thanks for all your opinions.i shoot glocks with glock barrels.does the powder coating make it like a copper coated or jackeded bullet?

Dragonheart
02-18-2016, 10:08 AM
thanks for all your opinions.i shoot glocks with glock barrels.does the powder coating make it like a copper coated or jackeded bullet?

No, powdered coating makes it better.

PC creates a hard, tough, very slick Polymer Jacket (PJ) that chemically bonds to the bullet alloy. Copper plating and jackets do not have that bond. Copper plating has velocity restrictions, because at higher pressures the soft pure copper plate is not tough so it starts to flow the the base of the bullet as the pressure increases.

Copper jackets/plating leave a copper residue in barrels; powder coating only leaves the residue from combustion. A PC bullet is riding on the slick polymer jacket, which is providing lubrication and resisting the shear force that would normally be tearing at a standard lubed alloy bullet. PJ bullets feed reliably when other coatings, jacketed and lubed lead bullet do not.

N1YDP
02-18-2016, 10:11 AM
so do i use load data for a cast bullet or a copper or jacketed bullet?

Dragonheart
02-18-2016, 10:58 AM
so do i use load data for a cast bullet or a copper or jacketed bullet?

I use the data for a copper jacketed bullet handgun bullets and have driven PC handgun bullets in excess of 1400 fps with no leading. Chronographed PC bullets have shown a 4% increase in velocity vs lubed lead bullets with identical loads. We attribute this velocity increase to the slickness of the Polymer Jacket. No comparisons were made using copper jacketed bullets; maybe later.

fredj338
02-18-2016, 06:33 PM
Pan lubing or shake & bake PC, PC hands down. Faster & cleaner IMO.
Data? It's still a lead bullet, use lead bullet data. My chrono results show very little diff between coated lead & lubed lead.