PDA

View Full Version : Plastic or Wooden for cast iron Preferences

cherokeetracker
02-15-2016, 05:33 PM
This is not intended to be a contest !!! But what do you prefer to use when cooking with your cast Iron? I actually have both, but I prefer my custom made wooden spoons. I have 2 Walnut spoons that are a little larger than tablespoons. These take a little more care, and I have to use some Mineral Oil on them, after washing, to keep them in good shape. A few items that I cook, it is better to use a wooden Spatula. Cleanup is easier with the plastic, and faster. But there is something about using wooden spoons for certain dishes.

I make cornbread and like to use a wooden spatula to cut it and serve it. This is much better than a knife, plastic or otherwise.

jcren
02-15-2016, 05:44 PM
My momma always used an old heavy commercial steel spatula on cast. Says it scrapes of the burnt stuff and helps smooth the seasoning. I do as momma says!

44man
02-15-2016, 05:59 PM
Any works as long as you do not remove the seasoning. Washing wrong does the mot damage.

DougGuy
02-15-2016, 05:59 PM
Actually what is recommended is stainless steel! For the same reason jcren mentioned, it scrapes as it cooks. I use a lot of wood too and if I am digging in a CI pan after some pie crust or something that is firmly gripping the bottom I make SURE that I don't scrape through any of that black glassy seasoning, I use the edge of a stainless tablespoon but only angled parallel to the bottom of the skillet never angled to dig in.

For cleaning, even burned on bits, I am a recent believer in stainless chain mail! It works GREAT!! Hot tap water and this stainless chain mail scrubbee takes NONE of the seasoning off.

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/s-l1600_zpsmtjoltfl.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/s-l1600_zpsmtjoltfl.jpg.html)

C.F.Plinker
02-16-2016, 05:44 PM
I use a plastic spatula because it has some flex to it which my wooden ones don't but a wooden fork because it does not flex. Guess that puts me squarely in the middle of both camps.

gwpercle
02-18-2016, 02:17 PM
Only wood and Cypress is best....check these out , www.bubbasspoonfactoty.com
Bubba is certified Cajun and only uses good cypress for his spoons...I love them and have even given sets to new brides when they marry into our family. My sister-in-law keeps eyeballing mine so I better get her a set for Christmas.
Gary

trails4u
02-18-2016, 04:45 PM
I'm a wood guy.... I do a lot of searing in cast iron, and let's just say I've 'reshaped' a few plastic spatulas over the years. I've tried to explain to the wife that the newly curled end of the spatula actually aids in flipping, but I'm not convinced she's buying it.

DougGuy
02-18-2016, 11:24 PM
I use wood for roux, I have a flat ended birch spatula that is radiused perfectly for the corners of the #8 skillet I make roux in. Looks a lot like Bubba's roux spoons.

gwpercle
02-20-2016, 09:22 PM
I'm a wood guy.... I do a lot of searing in cast iron, and let's just say I've 'reshaped' a few plastic spatulas over the years. I've tried to explain to the wife that the newly curled end of the spatula actually aids in flipping, but I'm not convinced she's buying it.

Order some from Bubba, you will enjoy using them...they don't curl .

trails4u
02-20-2016, 10:27 PM
Order some from Bubba, you will enjoy using them...they don't curl .

I may have to look into that.... I like good cooking utensils, and the opportunity to support a member.

fatnhappy
02-21-2016, 01:23 PM
I use cast iron almost exclusively. My son is highly involved in scouts so I get to see how others treat their cast iron as well. Me, I'm firmly in the stainless steel camp.

I think the conversation is more about personal preference because both work, so long as the seasoning isn't destroyed by improper cleaning.

44man
02-21-2016, 03:07 PM
I usually cook much hotter in cast iron so I avoid plastic but wood sounds good.
Of course I spit grease all over!
I know where there is a dumped hibachi that is rusty. Full of leaves too so I will use the battery charger to clean the grates. Get fire closer to steaks. Need heat and flame sometimes.

DougGuy
02-22-2016, 12:20 PM
You can coat those steaks (1 1/2" thick) with salt & pepper, bake them in a cast iron skillet in a oven until they reach 125° internally, THEN take them to your hot Hibachi and sear them!

They sear better and faster because they are already warmed from the oven, and the inside is cooked evenly pink all the way through instead of having the "rainbow" where it is more done the closer to the outside and sometimes a little too red in the very center.

Here is a recipe:

The Reverse Seared Steak
Makes 2
2 Ribeye or New York strip steaks (1 to 1 ½ inches thick)
Kosher salt and course black pepper
1. Preheat your oven to 250°F.
2. Place your steaks on a rimmed baking sheet fitted with a rack. Season generously with salt and pepper.
3. Roast in the oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until an instant-read thermometer reads 125°F for medium rare. (Check them around the 40-minute mark first, as oven temperatures and steak thickness will vary.) Let rest 5 minutes.
4. In an EXTREMELY hot cast iron skillet or grill, cook steaks one minute per side, until a dark brown crust forms.
5. Let rest another 10 minutes, slice, and serve.

Ural Driver
02-22-2016, 12:54 PM
Steel for cookin and chain mail for cleanin.

44man
02-23-2016, 10:45 AM
Makes my mouth water. Carol made stew a few days ago with ****ake and morals. It is GONE!
She held a bag of dried shrooms at me and asked what she should do. I told her to put milk in the bag and pour the milk in the stew. She said it would ruin it and I told her do not dare to throw out the milk. All these years and I still have to tell her!

Lance Boyle
02-25-2016, 10:09 PM
For soups and stews I use wood. I have a flat wooden spatula paddle too.

for fried eggs and such I use stainless steel which is probably why those pans are so smooth inside as that's what my momma always used in them. Wore them smooth but they're also old pans and were hand me downs to her so they probably were polished smooth when new back then.

Wayne Smith
02-26-2016, 10:53 AM
Bamboo and stainless

MT Gianni
02-26-2016, 10:52 PM
Metal is all we use. To clean an oven or a pan with a lid, put an inch of water in an oven, 1/2-3/4" in a fry pan cover it, bring it to a boil then let it cool til you can just keep a hand in it. Anything baked on will wipe out with a cloth or paper towel.

44man
02-28-2016, 10:09 AM
I always wondered about chef's pouring wine in a hot pan to deglaze. It works. Depends of if you need gravy or flavoring or just to clean. So if you remove the meat, some water poured in will break the crust out. Seems to work better then boiling water after the pan has cooled. Steam must pop stuff loose.