PDA

View Full Version : Frosty may be more desireable for PC application

flysubcompact
02-15-2016, 03:03 PM
In my limited casting experience, you run your mold (and properly alloy) to prevent frosty bullets. In my PC trials I've done the same thing. Slow down as soon as my castings get frosty, but I've noticed that even though I wash all castings in acetone befor PCing them that a few of the PCed ones can have their PC chipped off. These few are really good looking, slick bullets and it was like the PC could find not purchase on such a slick surface. Most survived a good hammer squish fine, BTW.

Got me to thinking....a frosty bullet surface would have to be much better for putting on any coating. Any of you Powder Coaters ever experimented with purposefully PCing frosty ones to see if there is a better bond?

OS OK
02-15-2016, 03:28 PM
Mine do fine either way but since I only use clear gloss the smooth ones look best.
Could be that different qualities of the PC is the bottom line.

bangerjim
02-15-2016, 03:39 PM
You should not have to wash a single boolit in anything as long as your hands are not greasy when handling them.

Or your oven bake temp is waaaaaay off, PC will NOT chip off.....smoothe or frosted surface. Temp should be 400F and bake time is only 10 minutes (after powder turns shiny). Period.

Do what you think you have to do to get good coats, but mine are perfect and no PC EVER comes off.

Again.......... stick with KNOWN perforance powders! Not carp off ebay. I get my red, yellow, and matte balck (ESPC only) from HF and blue from Smoke on here. They coat perfectly every time!

As I am constantly saying.....stick with what we KNOW works well every time until you get the technique down and them mess around with powders, times, containers, etc.

banger

flysubcompact
02-15-2016, 03:50 PM
PC will NOT chip off...

Well, yes it can. I've seen it on a rare occasion in my PC experiments. I've also seen PC chip off because of improperly prepped surfaces at work. (PCing steel). That is why I wash my castings in a bucket of oil solvent before I PC.

At work, we also run steel items through a Wheelabrator shot blast to ensure adhesion to the product. I was thinking of accomplishing the same end by purposefully casting frosted bullets. Seems the porous surface would lend to even better PC adhesion the way our shot blast preps the steel.

bangerjim
02-15-2016, 04:02 PM
What else can I say.........PC does not chip off....."if applied correctly". Almost all the new people on here having PC problems can tie those problems to: temp, time, dirt, humidity, method,

I have coated many many thousands of all size boolits over the past 3+ years and not a one has ever chipped off.....as long as everything is clean and at the right temp for the right time.

But if folks out there want to add an additional unneeded step in the chain of things, have at it.

Frosty boolits have always shot great for me pre-PC. And they still do with PC. So do mirror-shiny ones right out of the molds.

Good luck

bangerjim

dilly
02-15-2016, 04:10 PM
I don't concur with the OP's assertion that it's standard to cast bullets with the goal of preventing frosted bullets.

Most people who don't like bullet frost don't realize that you can literally wipe it off with your fingers, and usually there is an absolutely perfect bullet underneath.

However, I wouldn't be surprised to find out they tumbled a tiny bit better.

flysubcompact
02-15-2016, 04:10 PM
Washing is an additional step, I concede, but acetone or some such dries fast.

Frosty bullets may actually speed up the process because it usually is a sign you're casting too fast.

flysubcompact
02-15-2016, 04:47 PM
I don't concur with the OP's assertion that it's standard to cast bullets with the goal of preventing frosted bullets.

Most people who don't like bullet frost don't realize that you can literally wipe it off with your fingers, and usually there is an absolutely perfect bullet underneath.

However, I wouldn't be surprised to find out they tumbled a tiny bit better.

The frost is rough. At work, those guys rough slick steel up right before a PC. That is why I brought this up.

jcren
02-15-2016, 08:48 PM
Just a thought, but if slick bullets cause poor adhesion (I haven't noticed this problem), could you not "pickle" the bullets with a vinegar bath like you would aluminum? I have used vinegar several times to etch aluminum and tin for paint.

flysubcompact
02-15-2016, 10:45 PM
jnren,

Interesting idea. Like the way you think.

Beagle333
02-15-2016, 11:02 PM
I think it sticks just as well to either, but I do cast mine purposefully a little frosty. Mostly because it's easier and faster for me to cast frosty than perfectly silvery smooth.

hickfu
02-19-2016, 12:45 AM
I PC how ever they drop from the mold.. I air cool them on a towel and I wear nitrile gloves when touching lead boolits. I have never had PC chip off my CB's

TexasAggie06
02-19-2016, 01:03 AM
Powder Coating, when done at the right temp & duration, is a bond at the molecular level. Frosted vs. shiny is a macro discussion on a micro topic. In other words either is fine, how do your groupings look?

Dragonheart
02-19-2016, 09:31 AM
Powder Coating, when done at the right temp & duration, is a bond at the molecular level. Frosted vs. shiny is a macro discussion on a micro topic. In other words either is fine, how do your groupings look?

I agree, powder coating is a chemical bond, but as Banger says it must be when done properly and you should have no chipping. As far as a rough surface vs smooth that would make sense to me as over a given area there would be more surface area for PC contact.

dahermit
02-19-2016, 10:35 AM
As far as a rough surface vs smooth that would make sense to me as over a given area there would be more surface area for PC contact.If a rough surface increases adhesion between powder coating and the bullet, it is a moot point because it is virtually impossible to remove/separate the coating from non-frosted bullets when done properly. Purposely producing frosted bullets to increase adhesion seems to be a matter of "Gilding the Lilies."

Dragonheart
02-19-2016, 06:01 PM
If a rough surface increases adhesion between powder coating and the bullet, it is a moot point because it is virtually impossible to remove/separate the coating from non-frosted bullets when done properly. Purposely producing frosted bullets to increase adhesion seems to be a matter of "Gilding the Lilies."

Didn't say I would do it, didn't say you should do it, I just said the concept of more coverage area made sense.

Motor
02-19-2016, 10:52 PM
A lot of guys like frosted for tumble lube too. I've done some that way.

The Lee 440gr .501 is so tempermental (pun intended) I can't help getting at least some frosted boolits from it all the time. I even get partially frosted and this is after I increased it's mass to create a larger heat sink.

I don't let it bother me. As long as they are filled out good I use them, with powder coat of course. Now. ;)

Motor