PDA

View Full Version : Filling a Lyman 4500

Jokester
02-15-2016, 12:39 PM
Hello everyone,
I recently bought a Lyman 4500 Lube-Sizer in order to size some boolits for my 50-70 Rolling Block.
My original plan was to pan lube, but after slugging my barrel I now know I need to size my boolits as well.
Because I though I was going to pan lube, I bought SPG lube in a brick instead of a tube.
My question is, after I install the sizing die, can I melt down my block lube and just pour it into the Lyman 4500 lube reservoir?
Would this damage the tool, or cause any problems?
Thank you!

kenyerian
02-15-2016, 12:48 PM
That will work out fine. I've never had any problems doing that.

Jokester
02-15-2016, 01:00 PM
That will work out fine. I've never had any problems doing that.

Perfect, just wanted to make sure I was good to go. Thank you!

C.F.Plinker
02-15-2016, 02:58 PM
Just to overstate the obvious (for others reading this thread) don't forget to take out the pressure nut first and leave enough room to get it threaded onto the rod and down into the reservoir a little when you fill the reservoir.

DocSavage
02-15-2016, 03:36 PM
There's a sticky on how to make your own hollow sticks of lube.

Walter Laich
02-15-2016, 06:30 PM
the lube will shrink a bit as it cools but not enough to allow the pressure nut to catch its threads (yes, I know from personal experience)

I like the melting option cause all the nooks and crannies are filled vs. the sticks that you have to crank down on quite a bit to build up pressure in the H die

gwpercle
02-16-2016, 01:27 PM
Use something with a spout to fill with , I've heard of old electric coffee pots being used , or even regular pots with a longer pouring spout , set in a pan of water to heat lube then carefully filling reservoir.....be careful not to over fill.

georgerkahn
02-16-2016, 03:20 PM
Use something with a spout to fill with , I've heard of old electric coffee pots being used , or even regular pots with a longer pouring spout , set in a pan of water to heat lube then carefully filling reservoir.....be careful not to over fill.
In need of something handy a few years back, I cut the top off a small (7oz) plastic soda bottle, and this inverted top works as if it were a custom-designed filler-funnel! Plus, the lub doesn't (hasn't! :) ) stuck to it. Lucky choice...
geo