PDA

View Full Version : Adding tin

mcc1961
02-14-2016, 09:37 PM
Is there any need to add tin to range lead?

JSnover
02-14-2016, 09:43 PM
It probably has some already. Clean it and cast it, see how your molds fill after they've warmed up.

imashooter2
02-14-2016, 10:04 PM
I have cast many hundred pounds of indoor range scrap with no additions whatsoever. Try yours and see.

GhostHawk
02-14-2016, 10:13 PM
A lot depends on what you are trying to do with it.

I use a lot of range lead as is or with just a touch of tin for fill. Boolits are still soft, easy to mark with thumbnail.

However if I am casting for a rifle that I want to push over 1400 fps you want a bit more. And 1800 fps and up you probably want 2% tin and some antimony.

The other thing that comes into it is intended use. Punching paper you can go as hard as you like but if you want a hunting boolit you want a balanced alloy. Soft enough to expand but hard enough to take the pressure your throwing at it.

BNE
02-14-2016, 10:43 PM
I have yet to find Tin in range scrap. It is typically 1% Antimony, 99% Lead. The advice above is good. Try it before you add the expensive Tin.

bangerjim
02-14-2016, 10:49 PM
Range scrap (that I have processed) can vary a lot but is generally around 9-10, which means it does have some Sb in it. Probably enough for your needs.

If your alloy pour temp is just right and your molds are preheated on a hotplate prior to starting to FULL casting temp, you may get good fill with only range stuff. I have in the past.

But............I always mix ALL my alloys for 2% Sn becuase I have over 450# of the stuff.

Just try what you have and see if it fills the way you want.

banger

RogerDat
02-17-2016, 11:36 PM
I'm in the camp that says try it, if it is not flowing the way you want then add a bit of tin. Can't fix it if you don't even know anything is wrong. The first few bullets from the mold once it is up to temperature will tell you if your needing tin or wasting it.

Nose Dive
02-22-2016, 10:10 PM
I agree. I you have it. For free. Need to get rid of it. Add it.

If you have to PAY for it. And don't need it. Why? Smelt the stuff...cast some boolits....check it out.

I have on occassion, from range scrap from a 'black powder' club range, added some tin to my smelt. Did I need to? I really don't know but, I had it...wanted to see if it helped my mold fill out,,,it did... and I added it to the smelt pot.

Were these boolits for my 45 pistol any better? Accuracy was not improved to my eyesight. Castings did look shinier and nicer.

So, if JoeBob gives me another 20 pounds for free...it will appear somewhere in my boolits.

Nose Dive.

Cheap, Fast, Good. Kindly pick two.