PDA

View Full Version : Quick/easy lubing for bullet feeders

jeep45238
02-14-2016, 08:13 PM
I'm loading 9mm with wheel weights out of a lee 6 cavity. Tumble lube, dry and roll. I'm looking to get a bullet feeder for my progressive press, and none of the collator based units say they're okay to use with cast bullets, and I'm assuming that's because of tacky lube getting everywhere and gumming up the works. I've seen the dies themselves rated either way depending on the maker, so it's not the dies.

My question for you: I'm not looking to add a lot of time to my plinking ammo time investment. Is there a lube that can be tumbled after an alox tumble to make them work in a collator without messing up the works? Something that can be tossed in a bag of bullets, shaken, and then into the collator (or put a little in the collator and let it do the work)? Or is there a method that can be done in place of alox?

I don't want to get involved in baking bullets or buying a lubrisizer/single stage press for the lubing of my bullets. The speed and effeciency of tumble lube has me spoiled!!

Thanks a million,
Mike

Seeker
02-14-2016, 08:29 PM
I tumble lube with BLL as per his directions and my bullets are dry to the touch and not sticky the day after tumbling.

blikseme300
02-14-2016, 09:27 PM
Typically the problem with feeders are that they are built to handle diameters smaller than what CB's need to be to work. I have seem posts and videos where modifications were made to overcome this problem. Tacky lube probably just adds to this problem. Me, I like to visually inspect the powder level before seating so placing the CB by hand is what I prefer. However, I do use a collator and case feeder for pistol as it allows me to concentrate on the other stages better.

AbluquerqueBullet,LLC
02-15-2016, 02:51 AM
They make just such a thing you can tumble onto sticky bullets to un-sticky them . it was called bullet dust back in the day and sold to reduce the lube smear when shipping cast bullets with tumble lubes or soft lubes on them. it was mica powder. read the the notes after the description
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2124290522/frankford-arsenal-fine-powdered-mica

Some claim a performance increase and smaller ES and SD's but i dont that has been said about a lot of gemichy pig cleaner stuff before but the mica is similar to moly.

jeep45238
02-15-2016, 08:41 AM
Thanks everybody, you've been a huge help!

leadman
02-21-2016, 08:07 PM
I used to spray my boolits with graphite or moly years ago when I was using Red Angel that would allow leading. The graphite or moly stopped the leading and the boolits were not sticky. The spray graphite or moly dries hard and does not come off on your hands.