PDA

View Full Version : Need shot made

Jetro721
04-28-2008, 09:12 AM
hello, if you are needing shot made and dont have the time to make and learn everthing to go with this. I've been making shot for about 15 years and the guy that thought me about 25yrs. We have people from all around the USA sending and bring use wheel wieghts to make shot for them. The way it works is, you contact use and if your with in a decent driving range we will meet you and see how much WW you have then after we make Ingiots out of them we minus the waste and then it is a 50/50 split. Our shot is top notch shot very hard and have never had a problem yet. Knock on wood. We also have people that send them throw the mail, it cost about $10.00 a box up to 70# if so, all shipping cost is on you. I live in Northwest Indiana by Lake Michigan, We make a couple different size's, and we have it master so everyone is happy. So send me a message if you would like to have this done for you. Ty Jeff
:castmine:

GlockJockey
06-03-2008, 10:29 AM
Are you guys still doing this? I have a tone of lead ingot and am looking for a good alternative to buying and trying to set up my own shot maker.

Caveape
06-04-2008, 02:05 AM
Hey Jetro!
Let me get this straight. I send you lead (Pb). You melt it into ingots and keep half as "payment" for turning my half into whatever size shot I want. And all I do is pay the shipping both ways!? This sounds great considering the local gunshop here is charging up to $50.00 per 25 pound bag.

Please let us all know.

shotman
06-05-2008, 07:36 AM
that is what many do but the lead needs to be wheel weights and they must NOT be the big truck or the new import [zinc] just some info rick

chrisx1
06-06-2008, 10:24 PM
I have a shotmaker and would consider doing smaller (less than 200 lbs) batches at a 50/50 split.
I would emphasize that the split happens AFTER they are in ingot form....zinc doesn't work thru a shotmaker, and there is more and more zinc/scrap in the WW buckets these days.

RP
06-07-2008, 10:19 PM
chrisx1 i see you must have gotten your shotmachince worked out . Be warned you get started making shot it leads to more and more my shotmachine has took over 3/4 of my shop but I am making alot of shot. On your 50/50 split dont forget the postage. A few ? for you what size shot are you making and are your sorting and graphiteing the shot. I got a simple way to sort if your interested pm me.

Earl Brasse
06-10-2008, 01:16 AM
Would pure lead work? I'm shooting an original 1887 Winchester & am using Alcan wads so no plastic "shot protectors". I've been using old "chilled lead shot because it is softer than the "hard" & "extra hard" stuff. What is the difference in shot hardness? I was told the hard shot was tough on old barrels, mine is fluid steel. Would that change the trade rate or work @ all ?

chrisx1
06-10-2008, 09:52 AM
Pure lead/soft lead will go thru the shotmaker with no issues. As far as what would be best for your gun, I don't know. I'm sure there is someone here that would know.
As far as a trade, you could send me equal parts of WW and soft lead, I could keep the WW for payment, you could get the soft lead back as shot. Or we could work out some other deal.....whatever works.

JohnClark7886
06-11-2008, 08:00 AM
What is the difference between truck wheel weights and auto wheel weights. I picked up about 100# this week from a truck tire outfit. Are they not usable for lead shot or buckshot?

JohnClark7886
06-11-2008, 08:03 AM
Chris, what sizes of shot do you make. Looking for 7 1/2, 6 and 4, possibly even 2's

chrisx1
06-11-2008, 11:45 PM
I have 8 and 6, I'm not sure if Littleton/Magma sells anything bigger than 6. One of the guys that makes their own drippers might be able to make something bigger though. My setup is home made, but I use Littleton drippers since I don't have the machinery to make them.

RP
06-12-2008, 12:07 AM
chrisx1 just looking over your post on pure lead shot making I dont know if you have tried pure lead in you shotmachine but in mine it drops larger than WWs. In 9 nozzles i get around a 7.5 to 6 using pure lead.

And I see were someone is asking about truck weights for shot big truck weights have to much battit in them and will clog up the nozzles may not on the larger size nozzles but it will sure stop a 9 up real fast.

I have been using reclaim boolits from the range in my shot machine and it works better for me than WWs less nozzle blockage.

chrisx1
06-12-2008, 11:19 PM
Makes sense Ricky, probably would be larger.

I agree on the truck weights, no worky-worky with a shotmaker, also have to be watchful for zinc.

Earl Brasse
06-14-2008, 05:39 PM
chrisx, thanks. I don't have acesss to WW. I'll have to look into freight costs. Maybe a pallet by truck/freight is less than the flat-rate box. What size ingots would you need ? Would it have to be in ingots or would some other size work fo shipping in bulk?

chrisx1
06-14-2008, 08:25 PM
I usually use 1lb ingots, but anything would work, as long as it will fit in the pan....couldn't be more than about 4"x4"x4". I can get four 1lb ingots laying side by side in my pan.
The diameter of the pan is 10", here is a picture so you get an idea of what we have to deal with.
Cupcake pans make good ingot molds, or some of those old cornbread molds that look like corn cobs, anything that will withstand the heat will work.

By the way, in this picture, the pan is cool. You can see the puddle of lead that formed at the back (left side) of the pan as I tilted it back to cool off. The drippers can be seen on the front (right side) along with the ammo can that holds coolant during production.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/chrisx1/shotmaker5.jpg

RP
06-20-2008, 10:10 PM
Chris I think I may have told you already but I will tell you again. Not saying this is the only way to do something its just what I have been told and it works for me. When you shut down your shotmaker leave the nozzles under the lead level just turn off the heat and let it cool until it stops dropping shot this keeps the trash out of your nozzles and when you start heating it back up to run they will start up with no problem. Dont know how often you have to clean yours but my holes are only 20 th in dia and it dont take much to stop them up.

chrisx1
06-20-2008, 11:29 PM
Yep, usually do stop with lead covering the nozzles, in the case above, I needed to remove and clean.