PDA

View Full Version : Breech Question

Gtek
02-14-2016, 02:25 AM
Just came into possession of a barrel, 36" - 15/16" eight groove 50 cal. with hooked patent in the white and falls right into a T/C Hawken stock. No maker or marks anywhere but appears to be a 1-66", 1/2 turn in 33". Good looking ball muzzle and bore feels very smooth and consistent with tight patch. On left hand side of breech where a T/C clean out plug normally is found there is a circle, one would assume this is probably a threaded plug of some sort that has been flushed. Question in my mind is should I chase this out and make it a removable plug before first boom like a T/C or leave well enough alone? The T/C's in this house only have a couple hundred down the pipe and cleaned very well I think, always go boom and never have removed a plug. Enough machine tools and confidence to chase, no sight or tenon holes/cuts and still to be done. Opinions? Thanks- Lar

Tatume
02-14-2016, 08:49 AM
Hi Lar,

No. In my opinion you should not drill a hole in your breech. There is little utility in being able to remove the plug. You can shoot that barrel for three lifetimes and never need to open it.

Take care, Tom

rfd
02-14-2016, 09:52 AM
for any new trad ml rifle or barrel, all i'd wanna do is remove the chamber breech plug and lube it with anti-seize and reinstall. this allows easy plug removing for chamber/breech inspection/cleaning, or pushing out a dry ball load. as to that flush plugged clean out percussion barrel plug - while it's a nice feature to have if that plug was slotted or hexed for removal, i'd leave 'er be as is. the main concern for me is always the chamber breech plug, that's where all the real action occurs. ymmv.

waksupi
02-14-2016, 10:52 AM
Don't mess with it.

Gtek
02-14-2016, 11:46 AM
Time lining this barrel it was purchased almost thirty years ago, I wish there were a mark or name to be found for some level of comfort. The gentleman who owned this was first class all the way on all things but still no confirmation of pedigree. Completely agree with a comfort level gained by inspecting breech threads and dimensions before boom on unknown. I lack the knowledge, but the majority of the trade rifles of that era were usually found to be of the drilled drum type? Looking at it next to a T/C it is a visual twin and looks really nice but that does not bless internal dimensions, now what to do. Having worked on and torn apart and put together aircraft and firearms all of my adult life, oh the things I've seen. The big question now, pull breech and confirm all with known risk or stuff and puff? Hmmmmm!

rfd
02-14-2016, 11:52 AM
i'd just as soon proof it myself before using it in a build.

Gtek
02-14-2016, 12:16 PM
Strap her down and 110 of 2f proof?

pietro
02-14-2016, 12:22 PM

Although YMMV, I wouldn't prove it, if it were mine.

rfd
02-14-2016, 12:24 PM
Strap her down and 110 of 2f proof?

yep ... that and a long cord and a concrete bunker. seriously.

Gtek
02-14-2016, 12:31 PM
Understand all dangers, sounds like a plan. Thanks for all opinions.