PDA

View Full Version : charter arms pitbull

nagantguy
02-13-2016, 10:48 PM
Was teaching a CPL class today, one fellow and his son had a brand new charter arms .45 acp revolver, no moon clips needed. It was very smooth, stainless with a very nice shaped kinda modified houge grip, haven't been wowed by a new production revolver in a while this one wowed me. And to top it off it shot well with the white box Winchester they brought with them and my Carolina blue cast load.......taxes are due, I'm in the middle of a 300blackout build, need to pay for daughters choir field trip but I want one. Anyone have one what do you love like or hate about it?

c1skout
02-13-2016, 11:50 PM
Didn't know they were available already...... it's only been 4 or 5 years since they said they were gonna make them. :bigsmyl2:

nagantguy
02-13-2016, 11:58 PM
I'm seeing they are kind of unobtainum now that I'm looking at/for them. Looks like they may be worth the wait. I'm telling you this one I played with, shooting double action, I said to myself, "self this is what it should always be like" deliberate but smooth, consistent and repeatable, not the best double action trigger I've ever felt, but brand new out the box it has a "broken" in feel and even with out the aid of a speed loader it was easy to load such a large cylinder hole and extraction was full and positive......do I sound like a used car sales men?

Forrest r
02-14-2016, 07:55 AM
I don't have one of those yet but I've used/carried their 44spl bulldog for decades. There's nothing better than a small pocket pistol that shoots large bullets. I would love to do some bullet design/testing with a snubnosed 45acp.

OBXPilgrim
02-14-2016, 04:32 PM
Love my 44 Bulldog. Very accurate. Had to send it in for repairs, crane replaced. Shoots better than before. Trigger has smoothed out nicely. Would like to see the 45 version.

Virginia John
02-14-2016, 04:52 PM
If the Pitbull is anything like my 44spl Bulldog, I'll buy one.

BwBrown
02-14-2016, 10:37 PM
Love my 44 Bulldog. Very accurate. Had to send it in for repairs, crane replaced. Shoots better than before. Trigger has smoothed out nicely. Would like to see the 45 version.

I also luv my bulldog.
When the .45's become readily available, I'll have one for sure.

Naphtali
02-15-2016, 02:24 PM
About six weeks ago I queried Charter Arms regarding the dimensions of the revolver and its cylinder diameter. No reply. My attitude is that businesses that do not respond to obvious "buying" queries do not want my business.

KLR
02-15-2016, 04:59 PM
About six weeks ago I queried Charter Arms regarding the dimensions of the revolver and its cylinder diameter. No reply. My attitude is that businesses that do not respond to obvious "buying" queries do not want my business.

I agree, but maybe your original email didn't make it through, or maybe their reply didn't make it through, or maybe their email was routed to your spam file and deleted? I've had all three happen to me.

Anyway, here is a review with dimensions:

http://rifleshooter.com/2015/07/the-charter-arms-pitbull-45-acp-review/

carolina sorillo
02-15-2016, 05:20 PM
I have wanted one since I saw the first one(online, never seen one in person). But, I saw the dimensions and the cylinder diameter is only .1" smaller than my Vaquero's 6 round cylinder, if I remember correctly. However, it's 20oz lighter and 2" shorter too. So now I'm on the fence. It's lighter, shorter and reloads a little faster but holds 1 less round. Oh yeah, I saw a video on Youtube, I think, and the guy was reloading the Pitbull with his 1911 mags. If it works that easy I could carry my FNX mag and have 3 full reloads available!!

I had an extra cylinder for my .45 Colt Vaquero machined by TK Custom to accept moon clips so I can remove the cylinder, drop the empty moon clip, drop in a fresh one, reinstall cylinder and back in action. I can do it faster than I can type it too! So I'm still on the fence about the Pitbull.

C.S.

nagantguy
02-16-2016, 01:11 AM
I have wanted one since I saw the first one(online, never seen one in person). But, I saw the dimensions and the cylinder diameter is only .1" smaller than my Vaquero's 6 round cylinder, if I remember correctly. However, it's 20oz lighter and 2" shorter too. So now I'm on the fence. It's lighter, shorter and reloads a little faster but holds 1 less round. Oh yeah, I saw a video on Youtube, I think, and the guy was reloading the Pitbull with his 1911 mags. If it works that easy I could carry my FNX mag and have 3 full reloads available!!

I had an extra cylinder for my .45 Colt Vaquero machined by TK Custom to accept moon clips so I can remove the cylinder, drop the empty moon clip, drop in a fresh one, reinstall cylinder and back in action. I can do it faster than I can type it too! So I'm still on the fence about the Pitbull.

C.S.

That's sounds like a good idea, fast reloads and with the moon clips carrying extra ammo is all the easier.

35remington
02-16-2016, 01:34 PM
The Pitbull cannot be loaded with a speedloader, so its weakness is fast reloading. For this gun it's reload one at a time.

warf73
02-17-2016, 04:27 AM
Funny I was just on GB looking at the 45acp charter arms, only 3 listed atm. Only down fall for me is I want one with the longer barrel and target sights aka poormans S&W 625.
Iffen a fella wanted a big bore wheelgun that one would be a nice choice.

OBXPilgrim
02-17-2016, 08:52 PM
The Pitbull cannot be loaded with a speedloader, so its weakness is fast reloading. For this gun it's reload one at a time.

But it can be loaded much faster than just dropping in loose rounds by using a 45 auto mag and just pushing them forward from the mag into the cylinder. A youtube vid shows it being done and it didn't look too bad. Of course, no one was shooting at him while he was doing it. Also, one of those youtube vids had some guy telling all about the pitbull had poor fit up because the cylinder would move side to side on the cylinder lock. Well, guy didn't know much about charter arms (or colt) revolver actions because the action locks up tighter when the trigger is pulled.

Naphtali
02-18-2016, 04:40 AM
I agree, but maybe your original email didn't make it through, or maybe their reply didn't make it through, or maybe their email was routed to your spam file and deleted? I've had all three happen to me.

Anyway, here is a review with dimensions:

http://rifleshooter.com/2015/07/the-charter-arms-pitbull-45-acp-review/Many thanks for the link. I read it and felt something was seriously amiss. I used my micrometer on the cylinder of one of my Freedom Arms Model 97 45 Colt revolvers. Bear in mind the Model 97 is warranted to be capable of accepting the same pressure as [large frame] Ruger Blackhawk revolvers. My 97's cylinder: length 1.626 inches; diameter 1.575 inches; wall thickness .058 inch; thickness between chambers .0905 inch. So the 97 has a smaller cylinder yet its five-shot cylinder is significantly stronger than the Pit Bull's 45 ACP cylinder. For me, who owns more than one Model 97 45 Colt, returning one to Freedom to have it rendered their short-barreled round butt CCW is the better alternative.

kungfustyle
02-18-2016, 06:28 AM
https://www.kygunco.com/charter-arms-pitbull-45acp-revolver-25in-stainless-steel-5-shot-rubber-grips-84075
Only place online that I've found so far. Free shipping. But they are out of stock.

Mica_Hiebert
02-18-2016, 06:30 AM
I waited for years for the 40 s&w that was promised to come out, finally just bought a 357 sp101 like 6-7 years later I am glad I didn't hold my breath!

35remington
02-18-2016, 07:53 PM
OBX, it's just as I said.....one round at a time for reloading. Compared to the alternatives which use speed loaders it's slower, 1911 magazine or not.

Just pursuing truth here. It may be questionable in terms of advisability for a carry piece compared to a conventional rimmed cartridge revolver like the .44 Bulldog.....that is, if a revolver is the choice and caliber needs to be addressed in terms of what to buy.