PDA

View Full Version : Ruger old model superblackhawk

snoopy
02-13-2016, 10:42 PM
My stepdad has an old model, and lost the rear sight elk hunting. He bought one from a lgs, but it has a different blade. Does anyone know a source for the original blade?

DougGuy
02-13-2016, 10:50 PM
I think Midway sells several different height blades that fit those sights. If they don't Brownell's does. If I remember correctly, the old style blade had a notch in it and you will have to notch the replacement blade as well. I could be mistaken but I think this notch is the thing that separates old and new model sight blades.

junkpile
02-14-2016, 12:30 AM
Once you track down the original style replacement blade, you should talk him into swapping out the whole rear sight with something a little stronger. The stock rear sight is not overly robust. I think he'll run into this again.

I have a millet rear on one of my Blackhawks and really like it. Unfortunately, it's discontinued, and the only one I can find that's similar is the Bowen rough country sight. The Bowen looks great, but costs a lot more than the Millet used to, and Bowen only makes them as time allows.

Good luck on the search.

clum553946
02-14-2016, 01:39 AM
gunpartscorp.com has them listed but is currently sold out. Might want to send them an email & see if they plan on re stocking them in the future

44man
02-14-2016, 09:45 AM
At the start, Ruger used a Micro sight but I don't know what the first SBH had. I have no idea when they started to make their own.
All of mine since the first BH have the cheap aluminum sight and they served me well so why not just get a factory sight from Ruger?
I don't think Micro is in business anymore but there might be a good after market sight still made, expensive if you find one.

contender1
02-14-2016, 10:15 AM
Most of the Ruger rear blades are interchangeable. What is different about the one you got? Yes,,, the early ones had a "dimple" in the blade, that aligned with a tiny slot in the top of the sight base. And some of them do have the white outline while others don't. Plus,, there was a V-notch available for the Redhawk,,, that I've installed in many other bases.

Describe in detail what you need,, and maybe we can help.

44man
02-14-2016, 11:37 AM
To lose a sight means the pin walked out. Very common and an easy fix. But you must see it or the whole sight is GONE. That would really hurt to lose a Micro.
I seem to have a feeling Ruger already went to the cheap sight when the first SBH came out.
To think my flat top came with a Micro for $96 when today a sight alone is more then that.

Shuz
02-15-2016, 11:44 AM
To lose a sight means the pin walked out. Very common and an easy fix. But you must see it or the whole sight is GONE. That would really hurt to lose a Micro.
I seem to have a feeling Ruger already went to the cheap sight when the first SBH came out.
To think my flat top came with a Micro for $96 when today a sight alone is more then that.

I still have my .44 mag flat top with the Micro site that I bought new in 1963 for around $85.00!! Serial number is 5 digits and begins with a "2". It is now a "safe queen" as I have oodles of other .44 mags to play with.

McLintock
02-15-2016, 12:31 PM
Ruger used the Micro sights on the Super up till 1962, around Ser # 12,000, with a few after that, but most had the aluminum sight. Don't know if the blades are interchangeable between the two, so find out how early his gun is before you start looking.
HH

High Desert Hunter
02-15-2016, 12:55 PM
Aren't the Old Model Super Blackhawk and the New Model the same frame? I thought in '73 everything went to the same sized frame? If that is the case, a new model Super Blackhawk rear sight should work and you can get one from Ruger.