PDA

View Full Version : HELP- Half moon clip problem!

broomhandle
02-13-2016, 06:50 PM
Hi Fellows,

I have a S&W 25-2 45 acp & a old Webley VI in 455 cal. shaved for 45ACP . I have a bunch of full moon clips & two different tools to load & unload them.
No problem with either one of them.
I sent away to a company online, that has half moon clips in stock. They came today & I managed to snap a ear off one using one of the tools. I was gentle applying pressure!
I have never had a issue with the full moon clips. Is there a "special "way to load & unload them? Are they just not tempered correctly?
Any one have any input on this problem?
I WILL call Monday as they were not "cheap"

Thanks for any input,
broomhandle

fourarmed
02-13-2016, 07:29 PM
Are these GI clips or new ones? I have a hard time imagining breaking a GI clip.

Der Gebirgsjager
02-13-2016, 09:03 PM
I've never had a problem with full moon clips. Are they made out of metal? I do have some very old half moon clips that would spread after a few loadings and would no longer hold the cartridges securely. Are you using brass or steel cartridge cases?

imashooter2
02-14-2016, 01:35 AM
Half moon clips have the open edge to the center, not the outside. Full moon tools will have incorrect geometry and put a big side load on the clips. Your best bet is probably going to be a dowel in the case and muscle them out.

broomhandle
02-14-2016, 12:07 PM
Hi Fellows,

The problem is with " New manufactured" HALF MOON clips. They were Not cheap!
The issue was with HALF moon clips only. There is no problem with full moon clips. Sadly, I can't locate any original Mil Surp. half moon clips.
I had posted this problem, on another well known board & the usual reply is the clips were not heat-treated properly.

Years ago, I did bend a moon clip, but never did I break one off. I had made a simple tool that worked well, then bought a high quality tool from Dillon. I'll call the company on Monday.

Thanks for your reply's,

broomhandle

Der Gebirgsjager
02-14-2016, 12:26 PM
160849160850160851Here's the tool I use. Simple is best. I've never had any trouble with full moon clips, and think that they're the best thing since sliced bread. Just carry a pocket full of them--leave the tool at home for later. Half moons--I've always been able to do them with my fingers. Like I said, I did get some soft ones once, but they weren't blue, they were silver in color and no doubt some that were made after the big war. I think you'll look long and hard before you turn up any quantity of G.I. clips. Like the tool, I get all my clips from Brownells.

imashooter2
02-14-2016, 01:14 PM
Hi Fellows,

The problem is with " New manufactured" HALF MOON clips. They were Not cheap!
The issue was with HALF moon clips only. There is no problem with full moon clips. Sadly, I can't locate any original Mil Surp. half moon clips.
I had posted this problem, on another well known board & the usual reply is the clips were not heat-treated properly.

Years ago, I did bend a moon clip, but never did I break one off. I had made a simple tool that worked well, then bought a high quality tool from Dillon. I'll call the company on Monday.

Thanks for your reply's,

broomhandle

If you tried to remove brass from half moon clips with tools made for full moon clips, then it wasn't the clip that was at fault for the breakage. I'm seeing most replies are based off people's experiences with full moon clips. They are not relevant.

broomhandle
02-15-2016, 01:09 AM
Hi Der Gebirgsjager,

Your tool almost the same one I have! I also have the loading & unloading tool Dillon sells. www.demooner.com (http://www.demooner.com) I can use the same tool to load & remove the cases!
It's not user friendly with the half moon clips! :<(

Thanks for posting the picture!
broomhandle

broomhandle
02-15-2016, 01:22 AM
Hi imashooter2,

Can you please share the proper way to load & unload half moon clips. I have back round in firearms & complex mechanical things. The proper way is escaping me. You have to be KING KONG to load or remove cases with this brand of half moon clips.
As they stand now, I would have to alter the shapes of the clips to make them work properly. For the price, I would think they should work out of the box!

I'm looking forward to your reply & any help you can provide.

Thanks for your quick reply,
broomhandle

Der Gebirgsjager
02-15-2016, 02:09 AM
160947Here, Broomhandle--photo just for you!

imashooter2
02-15-2016, 08:30 AM
Hi imashooter2,

Can you please share the proper way to load & unload half moon clips. I have back round in firearms & complex mechanical things. The proper way is escaping me. You have to be KING KONG to load or remove cases with this brand of half moon clips.
As they stand now, I would have to alter the shapes of the clips to make them work properly. For the price, I would think they should work out of the box!

I'm looking forward to your reply & any help you can provide.

Thanks for your quick reply,
broomhandle

Loading, either press the rounds in by hand with the clip backed against a table, or use hog ring type pliers. Unloading, place a dowel in the case, hold the clip and pull the case straight out towards the opening.

Yes, half moons are a PITA. Full moons are much easier to work with.

Groo
02-15-2016, 01:47 PM
Groo here
Ranch products has a 1/3 moon clip [2 rounds] about 20=25 cents each.
order them 50 at a time you will like........

broomhandle
02-16-2016, 01:06 AM
Hi Der Gebirgsjager,

That one looks nicer then mine! It's fun to shoot, especially with the stock in place.
I always have to warn people not to keep their thumbs out of the way of the hammer! Ask me how I know LOL!

Thanks,
broom

broomhandle
02-16-2016, 01:10 AM
Hi imashooter2,

That's not happing with this brand! :<( Too DARN stiff, fooled with a few of them today. No JOY!
Called this morning & they were closed for the holiday! Will try again in the morning!

Thanks,
broomhandle

broomhandle
02-16-2016, 01:14 AM
Hi imashooter2,
That's not happing with this brand! :<( Too DARN stiff, fooled with a few of them today. No JOY!
Called this morning & they were closed for the holiday! Will try again in the morning!
Thanks,
broomhandle

broomhandle
02-16-2016, 01:16 AM
Hi Groo,

Thanks for the lead!

broomhandle

Der Gebirgsjager
02-16-2016, 12:28 PM
Broomhandle--I know the thread is about your .45 clips, but I have nothing more to contribute. The broomhandle is one of two that I've got that were in the horribly used and abused bunch that came from China. I refinished it, since there was no way to go but up. It's just about a smooth bore, but will keep most of the rounds on a 25 yd. target. There used to be a company called Pacific International Merchandising in Sacramento, CA, and I went there (dealer at the time) to view some SKS rifles. They were also in sad condition and were leaning against the internal concrete walls of this warehouse in hundreds. But what I'll never forget was in the center of one room were two huge hogshead barrels filled to overflowing with broomhandles. There was a father/son duo going through them, buying in quantity, with a big box. They'd take a pistol out of a barrel, try to open the bolt, give it a couple of smacks with a big rubber mallet, and if it opened they'd throw it in the box to take along, and if they couldn't get it open they'd throw it in the other barrel. I didn't buy anything, and can't really remember where I acquired the two I got (maybe Fed. Ord. Co.), but the memory of seeing so many broomhandles getting smacked and tossed remains. I do have one other in nicer, more original condition.

Bearbait in NM
02-16-2016, 02:20 PM
The tool that Der Gebirgsjager posted from brownells works perfectly for all metal clips, no mater the round count. It uses a small tit on the end that is leveraged against the clip rim. Twist the handle like a screwdriver, and out they pop. No harm to the clips at all. It does not work to load, I still do that with my hands. Wilson makes a tool that works on the same principle, is a lot smaller, and is just a tad harder to use.

The brownells type tool can be made from golf club shafts or small pipes. And the tube will hold the cases as you extract them, for an easy dump into your brass bags. With the Wilson tool, being small, does not contain the cases, but you have thumb pressure on the case against the tool, so it is likewise easy to keep the empties sorted.

Craig

broomhandle
02-25-2016, 06:30 PM
Hi Fellows,

Thanks for all your help & good advise!
I sent the faulty half moon clips back to Global Outdoors. I talked to them & it appears, I'm not the only person with problems.

I have to thank another longtime member here for his help, he did not post on the open board. So I will respect his privacy. Thanks, Sir! He told me he had some old military half moon clips & was kind enough to sell me some for my modest needs.
They work like a champ! What can I say but the guys at Cast Boolits come through again!

Best Wish's to all of you,
broomhandle

broomhandle
02-25-2016, 06:52 PM
Hi Der Gebirgsjager,

Sorry it took so long to reply! I'm sure you know all about real life issue's!
I saw a fruit basket full of them at Numrick arms & about the same at Sarco many years ago. I have had all my barrels relined to the original 7.62 x25 or re-bored to 9mm.
Mentor arms in Ohio (Retired now) did one & Redman's did the other two. At the time the Broom Closet in Fl. was doing poor work, as the gunsmith left. They were using a guy that little or no real training on how to reline a barrel correctly. I bought one of them from Keng's in Atlanta......One from a shooting pal &no clue were the other one came from. All of them needed help!

I reload at about 900 to 1000 fps, just enough to operate the action. IF you ever shoot the C-96 with the stock on...
PLEASE make sure your thumb & or web between the thumb & index finger is clear of the hammer! Especially if you have big hands!

Enjoy them safely,
broomhandle