PDA

View Full Version : Rare 43 Spanish carbine?

Hogpost
02-13-2016, 04:18 PM

I've acquired a Model 1871 rolling block carbine, made at Oviedo in 1881. It is shown on Page 112 of Layman's book, described as "quite rare." I have never seen one for sale, so have no idea how "rare" or valuable it really is. If it's common/cheap, I'll clean it up and finish it off as a shooter: would make a great brush-country pig gun. But, I don't want to ruin a collectable piece. Anybody out there know about these?

rhbrink
02-14-2016, 08:51 AM
I don't see any sights? Makes me wonder if somebody modified a rifle into a carbine? Have you checked the bore and chamber to see what's going on there?

RB

marlinman93
02-14-2016, 12:59 PM
I agree. Looks to be a cut down rifle, not a carbine.

Hogpost
02-14-2016, 02:50 PM
The front sight is there, barely visible in the poor photo, set well back from the muzzle as they were.
I unsweated the rear sight (correct carbine type) because it was damaged, before I stopped work on the chance it was collectable.

The barrel is correct and original, chambered for Reformado; the witness marks match and so does the serial number. It shows some rough internal muzzle wear from a cleaning rod. The underside of the barrel retains its finish, in exactly the pattern of the forearm wood, whereas the rest of the metal has clearly been exposed and slightly rusted at one time; this implies the stock has not been cut down, unless it was done so many many years ago.

The piece also bears a BOPE number, which means it was still in Spain at some time after 1929; I have requested information from the Spanish authorities. My guess is that, if it was cut down, it may have been during the Spanish Civil War, when many ancient rolling blocks were put back into service by one side or the other.

Does anyone out there actually have one, so we could compare details?

salpal48
02-16-2016, 12:46 AM
I have a Carbine . Made By Remington. I believe sent to Argentina Model 1879. It's Not Reformato but 11.15x58 R ( 43 spanish. ) Small V Notch as Rear sight . with saddle ring. This One like all The Argentine's were reblued. Value Is difficult depending Condition. I Recently saw One similar to mine @ a show asking $600.00
. I thought was over priced. . Not That I was going to buy another. But later It was sold

marlinman93
02-16-2016, 12:49 PM
Although some of these Rolling Block military variations may be rare, it doesn't make them especially valuable. Have a close friend who collects nothing but military Rolling Blocks, and has some rare examples in what appear to be unissued condition. When he discusses values, it's rare that even rare minty specimens go over $1,000.