PDA

View Full Version : Elementary question - Lee Carbide factory Crimp Die

John Hill
02-13-2016, 03:46 PM
I just bought the Lee Deluxe pistol Die Set (4 dies) for .45ACP. I have never had the Lee Carbide factory Crimp Die in my other calibers with 3 dies. There is absolutely no instruction for how to set it up. I understand that with the Bullet Seating Die, I would seat the boolit to correct OAL. ( I will be loading cast Lee TL-452-230-2R) LRN. Do I bring the factory Crimp Die down to touch raised ram and tighten die there? Or raise it up and lock in place? I can see that there is a knurled adjuster that can be brought down, I suppose to form the crimp but have no idea how far to bring it down. I know that this is elementary to most of you but I need help on this one.
John

MarkP
02-13-2016, 03:56 PM
160780 The attached cross section will give you a better idea of what is going on.

John Hill
02-13-2016, 03:59 PM
I can see that the die should contact the shell holder but now, how to set the top adjuster

160780 The attached cross section will give you a better idea of what is going on.

John Hill
02-13-2016, 04:48 PM
I found instructions on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmeLD8BFm-w
John

noisewaterphd
02-13-2016, 04:54 PM
I would suggest only using the FCD on jacketed bullets.

It does make a good crimp, but the sizing ring will actually size down lead and plated bullets a bit (depends on thickness of brass).

I usually add a Redding taper crimp die to my Lee pistol sets like 45 acp. Then I have FCD for jackets and Redding taper for lead.

mdi
02-14-2016, 12:45 PM
How did you set up your other seating/crimping dies?

brassrat
02-19-2016, 10:27 AM
I never use all mine, someone said, its a solution in search of a problem.

motorcycle_dan
02-24-2016, 04:19 PM
I'm a fan of the LFC, That carbide ring prevents the case from "squatting" rather than taking on the taper. I use it on most reloading. I've only seen issues with soft lead swaged bullets in .32 SWL, shooter was using 0.314 bullets and R-P brass. The carbide ring was squishing the bullets more than needed. I think a combination of extra tight die and extra thick brass. Shot in Pardini competition pistol. You asked how to adjust, the die should have come with instructions but here goes. Your seating die should only be seating, the die backed out so it is not trying to crimp AND seat. Install the LFC and screw it down until it touches shell holder/plate, back it off a smidge then lock it down. Back off the LFC knurled knob until it is not going to touch. Push loaded round into die. Screw knob down until resistance if felt. Typically another 1/4 turn but you can go smaller or bigger and check the crimp. How much crimp? Depends on what cartridge and what use. Magnum revolver, a BUNCH. Semi-Auto, a smidge more than the flare removed. On .45ACP I crimp to 0.469~0.470 on soft lead SWC in Winchester brass. How much is really a personal choice. I thing a good crimp gives better consistent velocity. On 9mm, 40S&W and other Semi-auto I go until I can just barely see the taper and sure all the flare is gone.

ShooterAZ
02-24-2016, 07:51 PM
I use the FCD in cast for rifles only, not in pistols. I set it to "just remove" the case belling. You can distort or swage down your bullet diameter if you use too much of a crimp. I find it to be quite useful...for rifle boolits.

John Boy
02-24-2016, 08:57 PM
I would suggest only using the FCD on jacketed bullets. Reloading 45 Auto's on the Dillon 550B, I use the Lee FC die to crimp H&G-68's. Zero complaints with chambering and blowback!

georgerkahn
02-24-2016, 09:17 PM
I am a big fan is the Lee Factory Crimp Die, and use it on most all the different calibers I load! There are mixed reviews re using it on cast bullets -- it admittedly works best on jacketed ones -- but, I use it on all. I have a very unscientific method of adjusting it. First, one of the true beauties of the die is it will NOT change your oal, so you can set that to EXACTLY where you wish it. Then, I look down at the spacing of the collet pieces in the die, with it purposely a tad too high. I then keep lowering the die until the collet pieces allllmmmoooossst touch -- Lee advises it's not good to have them more than touching in their instructions. But, almost touching works for me. And, that's it.
I LOVE these factory crimp dies!
BEST!
geo

Bayou52
02-24-2016, 09:21 PM
I routinely use the Lee FCD for 45 ACP. After you get your FCD set up as per directions set forth in the above posts, you should use your calipers to measure the crimp to make sure it's not too much or too little.

I use a crimp of .470" for my 45 ACPs. You can see what works best in your barrel using the "plunk test".

Bayou52

W.R.Buchanan
02-24-2016, 11:33 PM
Bayou52 wins!

You will set your die up so that it is near the shell holder but not necessarily touching it when the Press Ram is all the way up.

Then you turn the adjusting knob on top down until you achieve a taper crimp measuring .470 right at the case mouth.

That's all there is to it.

Randy

MakeMineLead
02-25-2016, 09:45 AM
I never use all mine, someone said, its a solution in search of a problem.

+1

get a regular, Lee (or Redding) taper crimp die for .45 Auto. Three 1911's and one Tanfogillo all love it.

for revolver ammo, a Redding Profile Crimp Die.

Dale53
02-25-2016, 11:42 AM
I use the Lee Factory Crimp die for most all of my pistol and revolver loads. I load and shoot a LOT of .45 ACP/.45 Auto rim in both autos and revolvers. Randy's tips, as well as others, regarding the .470" diameter of the case mouth on a .45 ACP/Auto Rim is EXACTLY the dimension I use. I mostly use the Mihec H&G #68 (200 gr. SWC) and LOVE the taper crimp on these dies. I especially like the finger tip adjusting for that PERFECT crimp.

Most people that complain about this die are trying it use it on bullets that are larger than normal (my bullets for the .45 ACP/Auto Rim, as an example is sized to .452"). If you are trying to use it on .456" bullets (for an old Colt in .45 Colt, as an example) you will probably not like it.

Just a thought or two.

Dale53

Ed_Shot
02-26-2016, 10:07 AM
I use the Lee Factory Crimp die for most all of my pistol and revolver loads. I load and shoot a LOT of .45 ACP/.45 Auto rim in both autos and revolvers. Randy's tips, as well as others, regarding the .470" diameter of the case mouth on a .45 ACP/Auto Rim is EXACTLY the dimension I use. I mostly use the Mihec H&G #68 (200 gr. SWC) and LOVE the taper crimp on these dies. I especially like the finger tip adjusting for that PERFECT crimp.

Most people that complain about this die are trying it use it on bullets that are larger than normal (my bullets for the .45 ACP/Auto Rim, as an example is sized to .452"). If you are trying to use it on .456" bullets (for an old Colt in .45 Colt, as an example) you will probably not like it.

Just a thought or two.

Dale53

+1 I have no problems using the Lee FCD with .45 ACP. I size to .452.

brassrat
02-27-2016, 12:16 AM
I think I will try some loads using the LFC die. I haven't had much problems with a 1 step seat but maybe I can get an accuracy improvement.