PDA

View Full Version : what spare parts to keep on hand M1 Garand

LUCKYDAWG13
02-13-2016, 03:42 PM
what spare parts should i keep on hand for my M1 Garand
thanks

Jack Stanley
02-13-2016, 05:41 PM
Firing pin , ejector and spring , extractor and spring , bullet follower , Clip latch and if it hasn't had a new op rod spring in fifty years it's nice to have one nearby .

Jack

LUCKYDAWG13
02-13-2016, 05:47 PM
Thanks but one more thing were is the best place to get them from

country gent
02-13-2016, 06:47 PM
You can try Filton Armory the extractor, ejector, firing pin and springs. the op rod springs look at wulff springs. Also one of the GI tools is handly as it allows the extractor to be removed from the bolt while in the rifle meaning you can change out the extractor ejector and springs with out disassembly of rifle. With the tru GI tool you can disassemble the whol;e rifle and perform basixc maitenence easily.

country gent
02-13-2016, 06:47 PM
Fulton Armory Sorry for the typo

Orlando
02-13-2016, 09:22 PM
You dont need a bunch of spare parts, especially a clip latch and bullet guide. Maybe a firing pin in case one breaks at the range.Just keep it well greased and a good op rod spring installed

tygar
02-13-2016, 09:24 PM
I keep multiples of all small parts, several bolts, op rods, OR springs, 2 extra barrels, 1 or 2 stocks, several complete sight sets. Just like all semi auto military rifles, keep a bunch of spare parts so you don't have to go looking when you need them. I keep a spare bolt in my range box in case of problems when I'm shooting them.

Blammer
02-13-2016, 09:35 PM
I usually keep spare enbloc's around.....

Scooby
02-13-2016, 09:51 PM
I keep multiples of all small parts, several bolts, op rods, OR springs, 2 extra barrels, 1 or 2 stocks, several complete sight sets. Just like all semi auto military rifles, keep a bunch of spare parts so you don't have to go looking when you need them. I keep a spare bolt in my range box in case of problems when I'm shooting them.

I built a M14/M1A oh about 15 years ago, my buddy who inspired me to build instead of buy a new Springfield helped me source most of the parts and I was surprised at all the extra parts he wanted me to have on hand. I used an LRB forged receiver, I found a new demil Winchester barrel so when I built mine I got a win bolt and op rod. I have extra firing pins lots of springs front sights. Lets just say every small part if I had another receiver, bolt, op rod, and barrel I would have another rifle. However then I wouldn't have any spare parts. I know there are still tons of mil surp M1 parts available however I would get as many as you can you never know when prices are going to go up or they might just dry up like the M14 parts did. Just my .02 I wish I had bought more M14 stuff 15 years ago because now GI stuff is like hens teeth.

country gent
02-13-2016, 10:17 PM
One other small simple part Ive seen fail occassionaly ( had one myself in a leg match fail at 300 yds) is the small screw that clamps the front sight to the dovetail. When it breaks the sight slides to one side and windage goes out the window.

lefty o
02-14-2016, 01:53 AM
extractor is the most likely part to fail on the rifle. id keep an extractor,ejector , and for good measure a firing pin.

mac1911
02-14-2016, 08:35 AM
Buy a spring and bolt kit from Orion 7
Then your next spare parts purchase should be a garand or 2 more from the cmp.
http://www.m1garand.com/store/m1_complete_recommended_spare_parts_kit.html

I have bought these kits for every M1 I get. Except for my 2 "parts" guns
I just swap out all the parts. Label and bag the old parts and those are my spare parts now.

Parts I,have replaced in the past 10 years.
Original extractors....4 so far. Yet to break a replacement
1 op rod worn out
1 bolt , lug had a chip out of it.
2 Fpins
Op rod springs.....
I have 6 SG from the cmp 4 of them came through with broken springs CMP sent what looks to be brand new springs with out hesitation.

Your best spare parts are a few more M1s especially the bigger parts.
Like bolts op rods barrels , gas cylinder and such.

LUCKYDAWG13
02-14-2016, 10:14 AM
Buy a spring and bolt kit from Orion 7
Then your next spare parts purchase should be a garand or 2 more from the cmp.
http://www.m1garand.com/store/m1_complete_recommended_spare_parts_kit.html

I have bought these kits for every M1 I get. Except for my 2 "parts" guns
I just swap out all the parts. Label and bag the old parts and those are my spare parts now.

Parts I,have replaced in the past 10 years.
Original extractors....4 so far. Yet to break a replacement
1 op rod worn out
1 bolt , lug had a chip out of it.
2 Fpins
Op rod springs.....
I have 6 SG from the cmp 4 of them came through with broken springs CMP sent what looks to be brand new springs with out hesitation.

Your best spare parts are a few more M1s especially the bigger parts.
Like bolts op rods barrels , gas cylinder and such.
thank you