PDA

View Full Version : MIdway Press

HeavyMetal
04-28-2008, 02:01 AM
Sorry guys! In my haste to get everything done on a Monday I type in the wrong company this should have been midsouth shooters supply not Midway.

Please look in the 2008 Master catalog page 98

At least I got the rest of this right.

Mine arrived in yesterdays mail and, of course, was digested at dinner.

I want to point out to the newbie's getting started Lee has a great press on the market the Classic Cast.

It's made a big hit with a lot of people and if I was going to get a press today it would get the nod for a single stage.

Now heres the good part: page 80 show the classic cast for $81.90 but page 96 shows the Smart reloader for $49.95 and it has the breech lock system on it.

If it isn't a Lee Classic Cast painted black I don't know what it is! It also looks like a $40.00 savings as well.

Thought you fella's might want a heads up on this one!

bradh
04-28-2008, 09:13 AM
Heavy Metal I'm in Tustin. Where are you located and where do you shoot
rifles in this county?

HeavyMetal
04-28-2008, 09:38 AM
bradh:

Since they closed the range in the Santa Ana Canyon (?) area I don't think theres a rifle range in orange county!

I live in the very north end of the O C, matter of fact I can spit into L.A. County from the stop light at the end of the street!

I don't shoot nearly as much as I used to however I made the transition to the Burro Canyon range in the san Gabriel Mountains, mostly because I hate going to Lidlle creek.

Burro Canyon might be a reach for you but the trip is well worth it!

Phone is 626-910-1344 and they have a website www.burrocanyon.com.

Cool part of this place: you can rent a range for private use! I generally take my work crew up a couple times a year for some general plinking

As I understand it this is a long term lease from the U.S. Forest service so Developers won't be eating this area any time soon!

Give them a look see and send me a PM if you have questions, just clik on my name and follow the destruction.

Scrounger
04-28-2008, 10:56 AM
Heavymetal, have you ever been to West End Gun Club's range?
http://www.wegc.org/
You go right by it on the way to Lytle Creek. About a mile and a half up Sierra from the Jack in the Box at Interstate 15, there is a road to the right that looks like it has nowhere to go. It turns and goes up a canyon for a mile or so to the range. It is a private range with a locked gate except when they are open to the public, used to be weekends only. Members get the gate combination and they can get in to shoot anytime they want. A lot of us old coots are early risers and I have found myself up there many times before Mr. Sun gets up. (Beat the traffic that way) And found myself NOT the first arrival. There is a member who is a national and state level pistol champion who comes up there about 4 AM almost every day to practice. He has lights mounted on the back of his camper to shoot by! He says he comes up that early because he has to go to work at 8, there's no wind at that time, and no other shooters to bother him. So I drank my coffee, ate my doughnuts, and waited for the sun to come up. What good times they were! Point is, if you join the club, you can go in to shoot whenever it's convenient for you, camp out overnight if you like, or bring in friends. The club owns the land, they are surrounded by Forest Service land, so civilization as we know it is not a problem. Call the gentleman whose phone number I gave you, he can get you in to look around.

HeavyMetal
04-28-2008, 01:25 PM
Good enough

JesterGrin_1
04-28-2008, 06:20 PM
Anybody seen the new Midway catalog?

Mine arrived in yesterdays mail and, of course, was digested at dinner.

I want to point out to the newbie's getting started Lee has a great press on the market the Classic Cast.

It's made a big hit with a lot of people and if I was going to get a press today it would get the nod for a single stage.

Now heres the good part: page 80 show the classic cast for $81.90 but page 96 shows the Smart reloader for $49.95 and it has the breech lock system on it.

If it isn't a Lee Classic Cast painted black I don't know what it is! It also looks like a $40.00 savings as well.

Thought you fella's might want a heads up on this one!

Would you by chance have a part number for the Black Press as I just can not find the darn thing? Thank You. :)

bradh
04-29-2008, 08:15 AM
Order No. 047-MKXVI

Morgan Astorbilt
04-29-2008, 10:24 AM
Brother Jester, I'd be wary. It doesn't say it's cast iron, or where it's made. The same goes for the tumbler, which because of its color, resembles a Lyman. They may both be made in China. Strange that they're both on the RCBS page.
I'd call Midsouth and check before ordering.
Morgan

JesterGrin_1
04-29-2008, 12:40 PM
Morgan thank you as I am wary but HeavyMetal is right it looks like a copy of the Lee Classic as well. But as we all know China would not copy anything lol.

R.M.
04-29-2008, 01:50 PM
It's only $7.27 to ship it to me, so it's pretty light. Must be aluminum.

HeavyMetal
04-29-2008, 10:35 PM
The reason I brought this to everyone's attention is it's looks!

If anyone has asked Midsouth about it please feel free to post the info here!

If it is aluminum someone went to a lot of trouble to make it look like Lee's product.

Morgan Astorbilt
04-30-2008, 02:12 AM
Does the Lee have the interrupted thread insert? It isn't mentioned in the catalog description. Anyone can purchase the Lee press, and use the actual parts, instead of wood models, to make sand cast molds. To me, the piece that connects the handle to the links looks a little different, but the photo is dark and hard to make out.
Morgan

1hole
04-30-2008, 07:25 AM

1hole
04-30-2008, 07:26 AM
Morgan - "The same goes for the tumbler, which because of its color, resembles a Lyman. They may both be made in China. Strange that they're both on the RCBS page."

Hey neighbor, are you aware that RCBS's press castings are now made in China? And the Lee presses are all US made, and the Lee Classic Cast presses are cast steel (old railroad tracks!) and finished with state of the art computer controlled machinery?

Morgan Astorbilt
04-30-2008, 08:14 AM
1 hole, I've read that on this site. Are they so marked?
Morgan

HeavyMetal
04-30-2008, 09:19 AM
Lee's been advertising the interrupted thread inserts for several of thier press's

Marine Sgt 2111
04-30-2008, 09:35 AM
During 1982 thru 1984 when I was stationed at El Toro I used to spend my lunch hours out at the sand canyon range. I n the summer of 2006, just before deployment not only was I saddened to see that El Toro has become a crap hole now under civilian ownership but that the range seemed to be long since gone. It was like going to two best friends funerals. My condolences to you boys out there in Orange County and the losses of two fine establishments. I know it made this Marine sad.

Scrounger
04-30-2008, 10:20 AM
I was a life member of that range, South Coast Gun Club, for almost 30 years. It shut down in December, 1995, so they could put a highway through. You can imagine how I felt.

badgeredd
05-01-2008, 09:43 PM
This Chinese connection to everything we buy gets to me because I am seeing so many GOOD paying jobs leaving the US of A. It seems to me that it is mostly due to corporate greed. I could go on until you all kicked me off of here but it would do no good....so if I want a product and one is made in the US, that's what I'll buy. Unfortunately there are so many products that are no longer made here. As for our standard being used by the Chinese.........doesn't happen, as the toy fiasco of this last winter clearly shows. End of my rant.......sorry.