PDA

View Full Version : I know we discussed this before (32/20)

Four Fingers of Death
10-17-2005, 09:30 AM
But, I can't find it.

I said once that I had come across a 32WCF 92 Winchester, s/n 764426. From memory that places it in the 20th century, but I was told that if so it should have the words Nickel Steel on the bbl, which it doesnt. It has 32WCF a few proof style marks and the Winchester address, etc. I waxed and wained regarding this rifle, but today my friend from work said he found an old boolit mould and a Lyman 310 tool (he feels that it is a Redding tool). My interest in the rifle suddenly increased, as I just love 310 tools and have a couple.

Can someone re-identify this rifle. It has an octangular bbl with a half magazine.

McLintock
10-17-2005, 12:34 PM
According to my Madis Book, he states,"Found on some late arms is the mark: "NICKLE STEEL BARREL, ESPECIALLY FOR SMOKELESS POWDER" (in two lines) ; latest issues may have the above marking or may be marked simply "NICKEL STEEL".
So it 's apparently the latest guns that have it and not all of them, so yours is probably original. It should have one of two barrel markings:
MANUFACTURED BY THE WINCHESTER
REPEATING ARMS CO. (centered)
NEW HAVEN, CONN. U.S.A (centered)
or the later one,
REPEATING ARMS CO.
--NEW HAVEN, CONN. U.S.A.
U.S.A. PAT. OCT. 14, 1884--
There was a third marking but used on very early guns.
Hope this helps, and I'd like one of those.
McLintock

Four Fingers of Death
10-18-2005, 07:10 AM
According to my Madis Book, he states,"Found on some late arms is the mark: "NICKLE STEEL BARREL, ESPECIALLY FOR SMOKELESS POWDER" (in two lines) ; latest issues may have the above marking or may be marked simply "NICKEL STEEL".
So it 's apparently the latest guns that have it and not all of them, so yours is probably original. It should have one of two barrel markings:
REPEATING ARMS CO. (centered)
NEW HAVEN, CONN. U.S.A (centered)
or the later one,
REPEATING ARMS CO.
--NEW HAVEN, CONN. U.S.A.
U.S.A. PAT. OCT. 14, 1884--
There was a third marking but used on very early guns.
Hope this helps, and I'd like one of those.
McLintock

I'm sure it had the patent date on it, but the address, etc doesn't sound right.

You don't have the serial numbers v years do you?

I have been surfing the net for an hour or so and can't find anything. I'm obviously on the wrong track

Mick

McLintock
10-18-2005, 12:13 PM
Ser. # 764,426 puts it in the year 1914, which spans numbers from 742,676 to 771,444. There are exceptions to these numbers due to special orders and such, so yours may be from a year or so either side. With an octogon barrel and button mag, it's definitely a special order gun and one that's fairly hard to find according to Madis. The second marks were used until the end of production in 1931, and very late barrels may have the words October and Patented spelled out, but yours probably is too early for this. The tang markings should read MODEL 1892, --WINCHESTER--, TRADE MARK, REG. IN U.S. PAT. OFF., in three lines; this marking was used from about 500,000 to 800,000 range.
McLintock

Four Fingers of Death
10-21-2005, 04:36 AM
Ser. # 764,426 puts it in the year 1914, which spans numbers from 742,676 to 771,444. There are exceptions to these numbers due to special orders and such, so yours may be from a year or so either side. With an octogon barrel and button mag, it's definitely a special order gun and one that's fairly hard to find according to Madis. The second marks were used until the end of production in 1931, and very late barrels may have the words October and Patented spelled out, but yours probably is too early for this. The tang markings should read MODEL 1892, --WINCHESTER--, TRADE MARK, REG. IN U.S. PAT. OFF., in three lines; this marking was used from about 500,000 to 800,000 range.
McLintock

The shop (the nearest actual gunshop to me) is about 75miles away. I was heading that way the other day, but the traffic at that time of day on the highway was tpits and I cut cross country to the expressway. I will have to go down and check it out thoroughly.

drinks
10-21-2005, 11:42 AM
Mick;
The site, savage99.com has a lot of info on serial#s , including Winchester.
Type savage99.com, take the first result, which is savage 95, go in and scroll down and there will be a selection for dates of manufacturer, click on that and you get a bunch of bands and models to select from.
This result was with Yahoo search, other search engines may/will varie.

Four Fingers of Death
10-21-2005, 05:57 PM
Mick;
The site, savage99.com has a lot of info on serial#s , including Winchester.
Type savage99.com, take the first result, which is savage 95, go in and scroll down and there will be a selection for dates of manufacturer, click on that and you get a bunch of bands and models to select from.
This result was with Yahoo search, other search engines may/will varie.

I surfed everywhere and I knew it was under a different name, but I was danged if I could remember it.

Thanks, Mick.

Four Fingers of Death
10-26-2005, 04:25 AM
Got it for $A300. Now all I have to do is get down to the shop and pick it up (75 miles away). early next week hopefully.