PDA

View Full Version : Doing away with bevel base

Kirk Miller
04-27-2008, 11:32 PM
I have a Lymam 358665 158 gr. rnfp four cavity mold that drops a very accurate boolit. However, the accuracy is limited to a very narrow velocity range. For example, it shoots great with 5.5 gr. of unique, but lousy with 5 or 6 gr. Hopefully, by removing the bevel base, it will seal the bore at low velocity and prevent gas cutting at a higher velocity.
The problem I've got, is that I need to find someone in the Provo/Orem, Salt Lake City area that can grind the bevel base off for a reasonable price. Any recommendations would be greatlly appreciated.
Thanks
Kirk

truckjohn
04-27-2008, 11:55 PM
You hadn't mentioned whether you have shot flat base bullets of the same basic design and verified they were good..... before cutting a bunch off the bottom of a mold. Many commercial casters sell bevel and non-bevel base boolits of the same basic design. You might be able to scare one up to try out.

Some of the most famous 45 ACP cast boolits out there for competition are a bevel base design... which many favor for ease of reloading.

There were a couple of fellows on here that kinda alluded to flat base boolits theoretically being more accurate.... but in reality, they weren't because the base got damaged on reloading. I think their most common compromise was a "smaller bevel base" on the H&G #68 pattern boolits to help ease loading and provide more of a flat bottom.

Anyway, any automotive machine shop should have the capability of fly cutting the top of your mold, then taking a grinding pass to clean up tool marks. You would probably end up paying shop rate -- probably $50 - 75.00/hr for 1-hour of work.

Tell us how it comes out.

Good luck

John

bobthenailer
04-28-2008, 07:06 PM
i have a saeco mould that someone removed the bevel base from, a very well done job, it cast excellent bullets it just doesent shoot near as well as my 6 other 358 moulds ive tried it in 4 pistols and 1 rifle and with at least 6 different powders and none really like it ! however those same 357s all will shoot 1 inch or better at 25 yards with the other bullets with many different powders.
i have at least 6 bevel base moulds and i have used at least 3 gas check bullet moulds , with bullets without the gas ck installed with good to excellent accuracy out of various firearms

04-28-2008, 07:23 PM
A guy here on the board, Ben, has a tutorial on how to do-it-yourself. I just did my Lee mould to remove a bevel base and it was as easy as could be. Came out beautiful. Wasn't that hard, either. 725

Kirk Miller
04-28-2008, 10:12 PM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
Maybe I'll be able to do it myself and then again maybe not. The main thing is that you guys have given me some options.
Very much appreciated.
Kirk

Marlin Junky
04-29-2008, 04:32 AM
Do you own a drill press? You can buy 23/64" drills at Lowes. 23/64 = .3594

MJ

Morgan Astorbilt
04-29-2008, 09:51 AM
Do you own a drill press? You can buy 23/64" drills at Lowes. 23/64 = .3594

MJ

The drill will drill an oversize hole to some extent. But, if you wanted to go this way, you would need more than a drill press. You'll need a vise on a cross feed table, and a co-ax indicator like a Blake, or at least a dial indicator. A wiggler won't dial you in accurately enough.

Milling the top surface on a Bridgeport, as I do occasionally, will decrease the bullet weight by about 20gr., and thin the bottom driving band. I use a 2-1/2" indexable end mill, not a fly cutter, and it leaves a proper surface for venting air.
Below, is a NEI Meehanite 180gr. .45 mold that I cut down to 160gr. for cowboy action shooting. Notice the difference in the base band width.

The least expensive way to remove the bevel base, would be to remove the sprue plate and stop screw from the blocks, and bring it in to a machine shop to have it milled. This will only take a few minutes of machine time. Having the four individual cavities bored, will cost more than the mold is worth, time being $$$. Better to sell it off and buy one without a bevel base.
Morgan
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa159/pgfaini/mold1-1.jpg

R.M.
04-29-2008, 11:04 AM
I've drilled a few. Works OK. If it ain't real pretty, so what. The sizing process will clean things right up.
I've even done one just with a Dremil tool.

Morgan Astorbilt
04-29-2008, 01:27 PM
I just thought some members might be concerned with accuracy.:mrgreen: On any 2 cavity rifle molds, If for target use, I put a light punch prick on the nose of one cavity, and keep the bullets separate. I'd hate to think how different bullets from four cavities, drilled or ground by hand, would be.:confused: Sizing doesn't remove imperfections, it only hides them. That's why most precision lead bullet target shooters(Schuetzen), don't size, only lube, either pan lube or with a Pope style luber.
Morgan

44 WCF
05-03-2008, 02:09 PM
Boolit Bob,

I live in Price, drop me a message.

44 WCF

Dave Berryhill
05-03-2008, 02:33 PM
...Below, is a NEI Meehanite 180gr. .45 mold that I cut down to 160gr. for cowboy action shooting. Notice the difference in the base band width....Morgan
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa159/pgfaini/mold1-1.jpg

Hey Morgan - how do those shoot with that small base band?