PDA

View Full Version : .458 jackets from copper tubing?

hcpookie
04-27-2008, 11:15 PM
I was reading an article on .45-70 rifles and the author stated that he uses copper tubing to make his bullets for anywhere from 200 grain to 600 (!!!) grain bullets.

Now, what I have read about tubing as a jacket is that it isn't recommended because it can stick in the bore and the core can blow out.

That article got me to thinking - how about those copper caps that are welded to the end of the tubing? I presume that 1/2" would be doable for a .458 sized jacket, assuming of course it is bumped down?

I would think that resizing from .500" to .458" would draw the tubing (toobing?) out enough to work for any size bullet in that caliber... I'm personally looking at 350 grain and 500 grain loads, so I would need the long jacket for my purposes.

Thoughts?

rbt50
04-27-2008, 11:53 PM
I was reading an article on .45-70 rifles and the author stated that he uses copper tubing to make his bullets for anywhere from 200 grain to 600 (!!!) grain bullets.

Now, what I have read about tubing as a jacket is that it isn't recommended because it can stick in the bore and the core can blow out.

That article got me to thinking - how about those copper caps that are welded to the end of the tubing? I presume that 1/2" would be doable for a .458 sized jacket, assuming of course it is bumped down?

I would think that resizing from .500" to .458" would draw the tubing (toobing?) out enough to work for any size bullet in that caliber... I'm personally looking at 350 grain and 500 grain loads, so I would need the long jacket for my purposes.

Thoughts?
i have made a few thousand .510 for 50 bmg useing copper tubing and have never that a problem with the cores shooting out, but anything can happen.
you can solder the cores in the jackets buy use flux in the jackets and heating it until the core melts then seat the core and make the point, those will never come apart.

floodgate
04-28-2008, 12:13 PM
Corbin and other makers of swaging tools make (expensive!!) die sets that can draw out and size down lengths of copper pipe or tubing, and fold one end over to make either a HP or soft-nose bullet or one with the base pretty well folded over and closed down to prevent "blow-out" as you are concerned about.

floodgate

JSnover
04-28-2008, 07:05 PM
Can't remember where I read it but I think one of the African hunters (Bell or Buhmiller) used fired 45 ACP cases as .458 magnum jackets.

badgeredd
04-29-2008, 12:33 PM

Thoughts?

OK, here is my thought. I purchased some Barnes jacketed bullets several years ago for my Marlin 1895 45-70 for bear hunting. They are supposed to have a jacket that is made from copper tubing. the box says the jacket is .032" thick. The rear of the bullet is swaged closed but one can see a small spot of lead in the middle of the base. I assume if they can do it, we could too, provided we were to do something similar in the design. I attached a picture for you to look at.

georgeld
04-30-2008, 12:48 AM
Used to be many commercial bullets were jacketed with tubing.
I've shot thousands and never had one blow the core out. That was in the days before
they were soldered on/in.

Can't think of what brands now, but, just about every bullet maker did it in the 60's, or before.

warf73
04-30-2008, 07:12 AM
OK, here is my thought. I purchased some Barnes jacketed bullets several years ago for my Marlin 1895 45-70 for bear hunting. They are supposed to have a jacket that is made from copper tubing. the box says the jacket is .032" thick. The rear of the bullet is swaged closed but one can see a small spot of lead in the middle of the base. I assume if they can do it, we could too, provided we were to do something similar in the design. I attached a picture for you to look at.

Those little babbies are Barnes Orignals or "O" Bullets, great bullets.

hcpookie
04-30-2008, 03:11 PM
This is great information! At first I was thinking that a thin copper sheet would need to have jackets punched out with a cookie-cutter style setup. That's based from that Cartridge Manufactre E-Book (posted elsewhere on this forum).

Tubing would mean all that would be needed, in concept, is to cut consistent tubes and develop a swaging method to compress both ends. This will make my swaging project much easier! :D

It would seem that I need to find a good source of hobby-grade tubing. I don't think the plumbing stuff would work unless I wanted a *THICK* jacket. Which isn't out of the question, I suppose.

Thanks again for the responses - I've lurked a long time in this forum and always find useful info! :)

rbt50
04-30-2008, 11:28 PM
i buy my coppertubing here www.mcmaster.com

jhalcott
05-01-2008, 09:34 PM
Iam not sure if it was NEI or some one else who made a .375 mold that took a short piece of tubing that served as a type of jacket. The tubing was cut to length and heated on a hotplate. After it came to temperature ,it was put into the center of the mold. Then the lead was poured in. A friend of mine had one and liked it for his .375 Win and H&H guns.