PDA

View Full Version : Marinade for a Pork Roast

buggybuilder
02-12-2016, 11:08 AM
Does anyone have a simple marinade receipe for a pork roast without using any "far out" ingredients?

Pipefitter
02-12-2016, 03:17 PM
Italian dressing (oil and vinegar type) with a pinch of sage added.

Wayne Smith
02-12-2016, 03:38 PM
Any marinade needs three essential components, oil, acid, and flavorings. Any eadable oil can be used, vinegar, wine, or beer can all act as acids, and the flavorings are whatever you wish to accomplish.

gwpercle
02-12-2016, 03:48 PM
This is my go-to marinade for pork.

Pork Marinade
1 cup oil, olive oil or vegetable oil
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup worcestershire
3 cloves garlic , crushed and minced
1 tablespoon brown sugar or honey
1/2 cup lemon juice
2 teaspoon Season- All or your favorite Cajun spice blend or pork rub.
2 tablespoons dry mustard (prepared mustard also works)
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon Accent

Mix and marinate overnight.

Gary

smokeywolf
02-12-2016, 03:59 PM
Yellow mustard and lots of your favorite rub.

On tenderloins I just rub them down with olive oil and salt & pepper

MaryB
02-13-2016, 12:07 AM
olive oil, cider vinegar, rub, mop with olive oil and cider vinegar to set the bark as it smokes...

Swede 45
02-13-2016, 06:47 PM
1#
olive oil
white wine vinegar
thyme
rosemary
crushed garlic
crushed juniperberries
Prep the meat by sticking deep pockets with a narrow knife into it, stuff those pockets with small garlic cloves and rosemary
Put the meat in a plastic baggie and pour the marinade over and let sit in the cooler for 12 hrs or more.

2#
Olive oil
Lemon juice and zest (the yellow thin skin, not the bitter white)
Fresh ginger, finely chopped
Fresh red chili, chopped
Brown sugar
Mix all by parts of your own taste, place meat in plastic baggie and pour in marinade, let it sit cool for min 12 hrs.

Plain unsweetened yoghurt
Tandori Masala or Garam Masala
Mix and pour over meat in a plastic baggie, keep cool for min 12 hrs.
(rub off the excess before roasting the meat)

Do not put any salt into marinades.. salt while cooking instead.

Lance Boyle
02-25-2016, 10:26 PM
Best roast pork/fresh ham that I ever had in my life was done in a Lake Champlain duck camp. Our chef, (not really a chef but a foodie and good eater), brought a ham and didn't realize it wasn't a smoked ham. He baked the fresh ham in a turkey basting bag with onions, salt and pepper, and a whole bottle of Harvey's Bristol Cream (sherry) that was left in camp. We did our evening hunt while it cooked away. I can't remember if he finished it w/o the bag but I think he may have. Anyway that was delicious.

Shiloh
03-06-2016, 08:53 PM
For todays pork loin.
I brined it and add spices to the brine. I've been using rosemary and garlic in the brine. After that, olive oil to coat, the a rub of rosemary and more garlic.
I also use a tweaked version of this for ribs and porkloin.

http://bbq.about.com/od/rubrecipes/r/bl50617d.htm Magic Dust Rub.

The rub goes on heavy over a slathering of plain cheap yellow mustard. No reason to get complicated.

You can make a couple of cups of Magic Dust for several dollars of spices. I buy mine at the food co-op. they have oodles of spices in bulk.

SHiloh

Col4570
03-09-2016, 11:08 AM
Apple Sauce.

DerekP Houston
03-09-2016, 11:57 AM
I've got a jar of jalapeno jelly waiting for a roast pork loin. Eventually will get around to finding a recipe!

That magic dust looks like a good blend.

Bonz
03-09-2016, 12:02 PM
according to a chef I knew in Chicago, one of the easiest marinade's for pork is Sprite soda (not the sugar free kind). He marinates the pork for a minimum of 24 hours in Sprite before cooking

Idz
03-09-2016, 12:07 PM
My favorite is Hawaiian pulled pork. Rub with coarse Hawaiian sea salt, a little liquid smoke and slow cook for a day. Fabulous!

Baja_Traveler
03-09-2016, 12:14 PM
according to a chef I knew in Chicago, one of the easiest marinade's for pork is Sprite soda (not the sugar free kind). He marinates the pork for a minimum of 24 hours in Sprite before cooking

I got a better one than Sprite - use Vernors Ginger ale, Vernors syrup is aged for years in oak casks before being converted into a bubbly soda. That oaky flavor is awesome on pork, and I've won many a pulled pork contests using it (my secret ingredient)...

Theres also lots of recipes out there that use Dr. Pepper - it works also, but tastes different.

TXGunNut
03-09-2016, 11:48 PM
I generally just use a good rub and a pan of water in the smoker. I'm craving pulled pork lately and will probably experiment a bit this time.

Blackwater
03-09-2016, 11:54 PM
For any of you who make wine, make up a big jug of plum wine, let it age 3 - 5 years, and give that a try. Very unique flavor, and very good. You can add many other things, but that wine always makes it seem extra succulent.

Shiloh
03-13-2016, 02:29 PM
My favorite is Hawaiian pulled pork. Rub with coarse Hawaiian sea salt, a little liquid smoke and slow cook for a day. Fabulous!

Gonna try it with this. http://www.familyoven.com/recipe/jalapeno-pineapple-chutney/166235
Chutney is under rated.

Shiloh

Lance Boyle
03-15-2016, 09:26 PM
Shiloh, that chutney recipe brings back some memories of Sunday dinner as a youth. My mom got on a kick of making her great aunts and great grandma's chutneys. I loved that with my roast pork dinners growing up. We didn't have it every time but the piquant flavor was a nice change up.

fourarmed
03-15-2016, 11:48 PM
When pork shoulder roasts are on sale, we buy them, slice them about 1 to 1.5 inches thick, go over them with a Jaccard tenderizer, marinate them in adobo sauce, and grill them over hot coals.

jroc
03-25-2016, 09:20 PM
Check out the thread on Cornell Chicken. That marinade works equally well on pork.

gunoil
04-25-2016, 07:51 PM
how bout soak in pack & french onion soup mix & some water.

Mad Jack
04-27-2016, 02:24 PM
Lots of great posts so far. I know you said simple with no far out ingredients.

An easy BBQ style rub is equal parts brown sugar and your favorite chili or cajun seasoning mix. I make my own rubs but this gets you a very usable starting point to tweak as you like. You can ad dry or wet yellow mustard, oil or herbs like rosemary and thyme. I like fresh herbs added to dry spices for a different depth of flavor. It also makes a nicer crust / bark.

That's pretty simple.

Blackwater
04-27-2016, 06:08 PM
If by chance you can find some plum wine, that's a great flavor with pork. It'll probably be hard or impossible to find, though. I really like it, with what ever other seasonings you find good. The plum flavor is subtle, but very good, at least to my taste buds. Used to make a lot of it, thought it would be good with pork, tried it, and was very impressed. Big problem will likely be finding it, unless you make it yourself.

smokeywolf
04-27-2016, 10:05 PM
Mad Jack, I can tell you've done this a time or two or more, much more. I make a rub that has:

granulated onion
granulated garlic
kosher salt
paprika (smoked and regular)
cayenne pepper
ground chipotle pepper
medium grind pepper

We use this on pork and beef. We don't buy or eat commercially cured bacon anymore. We buy 12 to 14 lb. slabs of pork belly, slice it, vacuum seal it and freeze it. When I fry it I sprinkle generously with the rub.

When rubbing down a pork roast I add brown sugar to the roast. But because I don't like any sweetness in my beef, I never add sugar to the container of rub.

Lloyd Smale
04-29-2016, 02:30 PM
I do it two ways First
sprinkle with garlic powder, onion powder and lowerys steak seasoning. then I rub brown sugar into it and set it in the fridge overnight.

second is kind of a porketa. I again rub garlic and onion powder and lowerys on it but instead of brown sugar I use paprika. Rub a lot of it on it till its about red.