PDA

View Full Version : New Barrel, cast or jacketed?

Hickok
02-12-2016, 10:18 AM
A lot of you fellows have AR's with .300 Blk barrels. I am awaiting a stainless steel barrel for an AR upper in 7.62x40WT from X-Caliber barrels.

Did you AR .300 BLK owners shoot jacketed bullets in your new barrels first, or go with cast boolits from the get-go?

Just like to know your all thoughts.

B R Shooter
02-12-2016, 06:52 PM
I would shoot a half a dozen or so jacketed first. Clean it well with a copper solvent, then go for it.

Wolfer
02-13-2016, 03:27 PM
I don't have an AR or a 300 BLK and I'm not familiar with X caliber barrels. So my thoughts may not apply.

Since I tend to use the lowest priced barrel I can find ( usually ER Shaw ) most will start shooting jacketed a lot better after at least 100 rds. Some will shoot alright immediately but all will do better after a little break in.
Im of the opinion that a well lapped premium barrel won't require any break in. I've just never owned one.

I too am interested in other people's experiences here.

Hickok
02-13-2016, 07:22 PM
X-Caliber says they hand lap their bores, so that should be a plus. I agree on barrels shooting better after a few hundred rounds. I never break-in a barrel with the shoot one, clean one regimen. I just shoot them.

Seeing that this barrel will be hand lapped, probably wont matter what gets shot in it first, jacketed or cast.....I think.....maybe...;)

Wolfer
02-13-2016, 08:12 PM
In the past I've broke them in with the shoot one,clean shoot two,clean etc. any more I try to clean pretty often at first later I just clean every 100 rds or so. Recently I've been shooting Ramshot exterminator out of my 223. It's supposed to stop or slow copper fouling. I haven't cleaned the gun since I started using it. I don't know if it works or not. Only got a couple hundred down the bore and it still hovers in the 3/4" range at 200 yds.
I think I'll clean it tomorrow and see what the patches look like.