PDA

View Full Version : Überti 1873 .44 mag carbine sight question

Mike in Reedley
02-11-2016, 10:58 PM
I have a Stoger Uburti 1873 .44 mag carbine on hold at a LGS. It has the band around the end of the barrel and magazine, with the front sight being an integral part of that band. I'm concerned about being stuck with that front sight height, if my ammo doesn't shoot point of aim. I would prefer the short rifle style front sight, but I've been unable to locate one in .44 mag (the same dealer has one in .357).

I plan on using .44 special brass and have a 215 gc, 240 gc, 250 K and a 255 gc moulds on hand and plan on paring the carbine ammo with my FA 97 .44 spl, which shoots everything great.

I've read the 73 carbine thread here and was wondering if the owners could respond to my question/concern. Thanks in advance.

35 Whelen
02-12-2016, 02:25 AM
I've never had the least bit of problem with mine. If your rifle is shooting too low, you can simply work some off the front sight (or elevate the rear sight) to bring the POI up. If your rifle is shooting too high with the rear sight on its lowest setting, you can work the rear sight down.

I just checked mine and with the load I use most, a 258 gr. SWC (RCBS 44-250KT) running 1200 fps MV, the rear sight is set on the next to top step on the elevator and as I recall it's on, or maybe a hair high at 100 yds. This should leave plenty of adjustment for faster loads.

If I were you I'd just shoot the thing and not worry about it. IF a problem should arise, a fix would be simple enough.

35W

Mike in Reedley
02-13-2016, 12:25 AM
Thanks 35 Whelen, I went ahead and purchased it, it looks identical to Norseman1's, only without the scratch he described. Ca has a 10 day wait to make sure honorably retired sergeants with dozens of other guns isn't going to do anything illegal with this one. Kind of like re-taking your drivers license test every time you buy a new car.

In gleaming your posts, I see you are using Special brass in your magnum. My two favorite moulds in Special brass measure; Lyman 429215gc 1.505" and RCBS 250K 1.570". As I mentioned,I also have an RCBS 44 240SWC gc, that looks to be a little shorter than the Keith (I don't have any cast). I was hoping you might tell me what mould you're using and what your OAL in Special brass is. Also what diameter are you sizing your boolits to? I hate slugging barrels and usually do a trial and error process. Thanks.

By by the way, that's a great picture of your rifle. When I first saw it I thought, "that looks like the hill country of Tejas". I saw you're from central Texas, I love your state and visit it a couple times a year. Thanks.

35 Whelen
02-13-2016, 01:58 AM
Thanks 35 Whelen, I went ahead and purchased it, it looks identical to Norseman1's, only without the scratch he described. Ca has a 10 day wait to make sure honorably retired sergeants with dozens of other guns isn't going to do anything illegal with this one. Kind of like re-taking your drivers license test every time you buy a new car.

In gleaming your posts, I see you are using Special brass in your magnum. My two favorite moulds in Special brass measure; Lyman 429215gc 1.505" and RCBS 250K 1.570". As I mentioned,I also have an RCBS 44 240SWC gc, that looks to be a little shorter than the Keith (I don't have any cast). I was hoping you might tell me what mould you're using and what your OAL in Special brass is. Also what diameter are you sizing your boolits to? I hate slugging barrels and usually do a trial and error process. Thanks.

By by the way, that's a great picture of your rifle. When I first saw it I thought, "that looks like the hill country of Tejas". I saw you're from central Texas, I love your state and visit it a couple times a year. Thanks.

Too bad about the waiting period. Doesn't seem like it'd accomplish much, to me.

I pretty much use two moulds for everything; NOE's version of the 429421 for practice shooting and the RCBS 44-250KT for hunting. The only loaded rounds I have handy in the house are the RCBS and their OAL is 1.572". The 429421 should be very similar. I size all my .44 bullets in a Star lubrisizer to .430" and they seem to work in all my .44 Special revolvers ( five of them) as well as the .44 Magnum. It's my personal policy to NOT slug barrels unless I have accuracy problems.

Thanks re the picture. It was taken out east of the house. I actually live in North Central Texas. North as in less than 15 miles from the Red River. Up here is nothing like the Hill Country of Central Texas. Much more open and flatter and more mesquites than anything.

35W

Mike in Reedley
02-13-2016, 11:57 AM
One of my sons lives in Clovis NM, so we shop in Lubbock or Amarillo. One of my other sons is going in the AF in April, so I'll be in San Antonio for his graduation in June. I love Texas.